What Is Your Favortie Buttercream?

Baking By just4fun26 Updated 20 Sep 2013 , 3:08pm by cakeyouverymuch

just4fun26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just4fun26 Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 4:00am
post #1 of 7

I've been using Wilton's buttercream, but I want to venture out to something new. I really don't try every recipe for buttercream I find so I was wondering if anyone wanted to share their go-to never fail recipe?

6 replies
still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 7

AWhiles it's a big departure from Wilton's buttercream, my go-to is IMBC (Italian Meringue Buttercream). It is very similar to SMBC (Swiss Meringue...). You can flavor it with so many different things so it's super flexible and I love how it handles when icing a cake. If you're used to Wilton's BC, IMBC is very different - not nearly as sweet. Just search for IMBC recipes if you want to try it out.

Another recipe I just tried recently was a sort of sweeter version of IMBC (sort of) - it's called Fluffy American Buttercream and I found the recipe on this website. I used it for a cupcake cake and it was so, so easy to work with. I still prefer IMBC but I wanted something sweeter since the target audience was 5 year olds.

Hope that helps!

Laurelj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurelj Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 12:42am
post #3 of 7

ASMBC, hands down! :grin:

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 12:49am
post #4 of 7

AI started out making wilton buttercream but I've now made lots of tweaks and changes to it... If you would like my recipe pm me and let me know.

just4fun26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just4fun26 Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 4:58am
post #5 of 7

AWilson's is WAY too sweet for me, but since I'm taking the class so I'm using it for now. I really want to try SMBC. I've heard its not as easy to work with, is that true? I do like that Wilson's bc is.easy to "correct" if I add too much liquid and I can eyeball the sugar. Quite frankly, I'm ready to grow up and try something new.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 7

You know you can always add less sugar if you can adjust to a non-crusting buttercream...

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 7

This is my go to:

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/cakes/Buttercream.html

I have two cakes this weekend.  Both chocolate.  One will be filled with the above buttercream flavored with a packet of tropical fruit kool-ade (tastes like bubblegum, kids love it--the only drawback is that it is bright pink) for which I added the kool-ade to the boiling water for the meringue.  The other is to be filled with the above buttercream flavored with nutella for which I replaced a cup of the crisco with a cup of nutella.

It doesn't crust much though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%