Satin Ice Vs Wilton Fondant

Decorating By mariprfl15 Updated 4 Oct 2013 , 1:52pm by leah_s

mariprfl15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariprfl15 Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 6:04am
post #1 of 15

AWhich do you like best? I've mostly used wilton because its easy to buy locally in small quantities but I can now buy Satin Ice locally too I'm undecided which is best...

14 replies
MomMakesCakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomMakesCakesAZ Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 6:33am
post #2 of 15

I would also like to know what everyone thinks :) I've tried and used Wilton here and there. MMF tastes much better, but I'm still a newbie and it seems to take forever to get it "just right" so that its not too tough and not too stretchy. I have heard/read online that pretty much everything is better than Wilton, but it's really hard to find anything else here. :(

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 15

AHi, from previous threads everybody raves about Fondarific. With Satin Ice people either love it or hate it, me personally i'm not too crazy about Fondarific but i'm going to give it another go :-/ Wilton is the least liked but I've read people like to mix it with other fondants, I guess you just have to experiment and see which suits you best individually-everybody has different tastes :-)

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 15

I have not tried Satin Ice as the reviews don't seem to be great.  I use Wilton when I don't have the time to make fondant and I don't think it's bad.  I've tried MMF and found it to be too soft so I tried MFF (Michelle Foster's Fondant) and really like it.  It's easier to make the MMF and still tastes pretty good.  The recipe is here on cc, give it a try!

RubinaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubinaD Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 15

AHi there, I use wiltons but then discovered satin ice a few years ago loved it. But the last few buckets have been terrible. I contacted Satin ice, but have had no response. The product has just become way to soft and creates lots of little air bubbles. According to some postings the company blames tne introduction of new macinerey but this was years ago now. ll be trying fondariffic next. Good luck.

fbrumback Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fbrumback Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 15

I've used Wilton, Satin Ice, and Fondx.  

Wilton - I don't like it at all.  It reminds me too much of clay or playdoh with sugar added and I don't really like the flavor.  The consistency is a little off, too... even after kneading, it's still a pain to roll out and can't stand being rolled thin.

Satin Ice - I've used this one the most under the recommendation of the videos on global sugar art.  It kneads well, takes color well, and is ok flavor wise.  But I agree with the love it or hate it mentioned above.  I've had customers tell me it's amazing and others tell me it's disgusting.  It molds and forms well.  Rolling thin is touchy.....  SI isn't terribly forgiving.  And I like that I can order it in 20 pound pails.  That said, I love SI gum paste.

Fondx - I've only used this on one cake so far and I really like it.  It's super forgiving and tastes great.  It takes color well, but like I said, I've only done one cake so far in this brand.  It's more expensive than SI and I've only been able to find it in 10 pound pails, but I can roll it thinner than SI, so I use less.  

I hope this helps some!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubinaD 

Hi there, I use wiltons but then discovered satin ice a few years ago loved it. But the last few buckets have been terrible. I contacted Satin ice, but have had no response. The product has just become way to soft and creates lots of little air bubbles. According to some postings the company blames tne introduction of new macinerey but this was years
ago now. ll be trying fondariffic next. Good luck.

I've had the same problem. I called them and the phone just rang and rang and rang. My sales rep told me that was normal but that he has the ear of the Satin Ice rep. They're giving me a free bucket next time I go in, but they don't understand it wasn't a single bucket, but the last 120 pounds of the stuff. When I let him know I'm switching altogether, I'm sure he'll pass it along. Especially since they carry Satin Ice exclusively.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the little bubbles.

I picked up a bucket of the black and it performed just like their regular white fondant used to. I'd forgotten what it pleasure it used to be. This is so disappointing.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 15

I noticed SI is much softer than it use to be.  I also find it forms elephant skin very quickly.  Last time I used it I made a 50/50 mix, SI & Duff with success.   I stopped using Wilton fondant years ago, however if you are going to cover a board or a dummy display it works great.  Dries quickly and rock hard!

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 10:09pm
post #9 of 15

AI have recently started with satin ice..I like it. I was getting tired of making MMF. Very tired. I actually like the taste of satin ice...but I didn't like working with it more than MMF. I don't have the problems with MMF that others seem to complain about so I'm sticking with it. Heard nothing but good things about Michelle fosters fondant.

RubinaD Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 4:39am
post #10 of 15

A

Original message sent by howsweet

[QUOTE name="RubinaD" url="/t/763729/satin-ice-vs-wilton-fondant#post_7444350"] Hi there, I use wiltons but then discovered satin ice a few years ago loved it. But the last few buckets have been terrible. I contacted Satin ice, but have had no response. The product has just become way to soft and creates lots of little air bubbles. According to some postings the company blames tne introduction of new macinerey but this was years

ago now. ll be trying fondariffic next. Good luck.[/QUOTE] I've had the same problem. I called them and the phone just rang and rang and rang. My sales rep told me that was normal but that he has the ear of the Satin Ice rep. They're giving me a free bucket next time I go in, but they don't understand it wasn't a single bucket, but the last 120 pounds of the stuff. When I let him know I'm switching altogether, I'm sure he'll pass it along. Especially since they carry Satin Ice exclusively.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the little bubbles.

I picked up a bucket of the black and it performed just like their regular white fondant used to. I'd forgotten what it pleasure it used to be. This is so disappointing.

It is so sad when you contact a company and you hear nothing in return. It definitely makes me lose respect and makes then less credible.

fbrumback Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fbrumback Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 4:03pm
post #11 of 15

I wanted to update... I've now done about a half dozen cakes in Fondx Virgin White and I love it!  I think it'll be my go-to from now on.

bundlesofjoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bundlesofjoy Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 15

AI'm Team Fondx too!!! lol Its my go to as well. SI and Wilton just can't compare.

iseesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iseesmith Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 4:21am
post #13 of 15

Yeah, I have switched from Satin Ice.  Never liked Wilton.  I love Felchlin "Deco Roma"  but the price went up so I tried a another swiss brand called Massa and LOVE IT!  Don't ever bother with fondant called "Petti nice"  it seems to be worse than Wilton!

RubinaD Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 6:36am
post #14 of 15

A3 weeks now from the last time I heared from Satin Ice about my concerns. They are really making it easy to take my business somewhere else. So dissapointing!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 1:52pm
post #15 of 15

AHuh. I really like PettinIce.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%