Should I Change Recipes From Measurements To Weights?

Decorating By mnurlife Updated 17 Sep 2013 , 2:12am by mnurlife

mnurlife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnurlife Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 12:47am
post #1 of 5

Hello. I've been brushing up my skills and reading a lot about the science behind cakes/cupcakes. I know a lot of recipes found online and some cookbooks only give you measurements. I know that weighing your ingredients gives you a better cake/cupcake. Should I start changing recipes that are listed in measurements to weights? 

Thanks in advance!! 

Matt

4 replies
rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 12:52am
post #2 of 5

Honestly, it will make your life easier.  Any new recipe I get, it's the first thing I do.  I can't stand it when I pick up a recipe, and it's in at home measurements.  The whole 1 cup butter thing drives me crazy.

Weighing everything out is more accurate, but it's so much faster as well.

mnurlife Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 1:40am
post #3 of 5

Hi Rychevamp!! Thank you so much! This has been on my mind for so long. I've measured ingredients before and my cupcakes come out good, but I'm ready to move up to the next level. Plus I've been weighing out my ingredients more and I'm obsessed with it now lol. 

Do you know of any site that is good for conversions? (I'm sure I can just google it, but I wasn't sure if one is better than the other).

Thank you.

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 1:57am
post #4 of 5

There is this site http://www.pastryscoop.com/category/look-it-up/sugar/.  I would suggest measuring out each of your recipes and weigh them as you go.  That's what I do when i rewrite them. That way, you know for sure.

mnurlife Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 2:12am
post #5 of 5

Awesome! Thank you so much for this and your help. I can't wait to get into the kitchen!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%