Storing Decorated Cakes-Health Code Concerns

Business By CakeBaby89 Updated 17 Sep 2013 , 12:51am by costumeczar

CakeBaby89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBaby89 Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 12:29am
post #1 of 3

I am having trouble finding the answer to this question so I am looking for opinions...

I am going through the process of getting all my permits and business license to open up shop but haven't had my inspection yet..so I wanted to try to be prepared in case they ask..

I know with decorated cakes with a perishable filling that you must refrigerate it...BUT if say I have a vanille cake with vanilla buttercream decorated and doesn't have to be delivered until the next day, is it safe to leave it in a box on the counter or does it have to go in the refrigerator. I hate putting my cakes in the refrigerator because I feel like once I take them out and they start to get back to room temperature that the icing sweats and colors run. Has anyone else had this problem? Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

2 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 1:44am
post #2 of 3

I don't think anyone is going to ask that question. You're over-thinking the inspection. They will look at your equipment and make sure everything is up to code; but not get involved in your processes. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 12:51am
post #3 of 3

In Virginia they do tell you to refrigerate everything regardless of what it is. They want every step of the process written down so that they can check your work flow situation and correct problems. When I turned my recipes in they require you to write all the recipes down then write an accompanying step-by-step description for each recipe of how you make it. It's one of the reasons why people complained about starting a business, they require a lot of paperwork up front.

So I'd check with your health department, since it sounds like they all have different requirements, and you should go to the source to find out what yours requires. Personally, I refrigerate everything whether or not it's perishable or a regular buttercream, because transporting cold cakes is safer than warm ones. They're also safer food safety-wise in the fridge than out, and it's less of a chance that they'll get knocked over by accident if they're in the fridge!:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%