Good Bye Satin Ice, I'm Sorry, But You've Changed

Decorating By howsweet Updated 8 Dec 2016 , 9:26am by remnant3333

Cyndibear 08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndibear 08 Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 5:30pm
post #61 of 67

AThe only issue I've had with satin ice was chunks of hard unmixed pieces. Otherwise, its my favorite to use.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 6:05pm
post #62 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyndibear 08 

The only issue I've had with satin ice was chunks of hard unmixed pieces. Otherwise, its my favorite to use.

My problem was the opposite but only with the black. It was gooey

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 12:45am
post #63 of 67

I'm so glad I found this thread. I thought I was losing my mind. Several years ago I purchased a bucket of Satin Ice and absolutely loved it. However, it was more expensive than Wilton and not readily available in my area. I am a hobby decorator, so I just stuck with Wilton. When the taste of the fondant was super important, I added a few drops of clear candy flavoring to it. I went this past week to buy fondant at Hobby Lobby and realized they had stopped carrying the Wilton fondant and only had the Satin Ice. I needed it, so I paid the extra $4 for the box, used my 40% off coupon on my phone and went on my way. It was a total nightmare. I wanted to give the cake a draped swag all the way around, add white rosettes, and blue molded chocolate birds to it - kind of symbolic of Cinderella's blue dress, white trim, and the little 'helper' birds. I covered the cake and immediately got big paunchy bubbles on the sides. I pierced them and mended the pinholes. A little while later, they were back. The fondant was so soft and sticky, the folds of the drapes stuck together and it stretched out so badly moving it from the board to the cake that I gave up after an hour or so and went with a completely different design. Needless to say, I was not a happy with the fondant or the final cake. It just wasn't what I wanted in the end. I tried mixing in powered sugar and dusting it with cornstarch to try and keep it from sticking. NOTHING worked. I have never had so much trouble with a fondant covered/decorated cake. I swore I was going to stop decorating because I thought it was me and I had lost my touch and any ability I thought I might have had with cake decorating. Now if I could only locate some of the brands you all were discussing it would be great!

karen Yocom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karen Yocom Posted 23 Nov 2016 , 2:17pm
post #64 of 67

I just used Satin Ice for the first time...and the last.  It was not flexible enough and kept ripping as I applied it to the cake.   I normally use MMF with Wilton fondant added which always works well.  I bought the Satin Ice because they have beautifully colored fondant.   After fighting with the Satin Ice for the first tier, I added some MMF for the other two tiers...this helped improve flexibility.  

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 30 Nov 2016 , 1:24pm
post #65 of 67

I can't agree more!  The buckets, even from the same lot, are inconsistent.  I'm personally a Fondx girl, but the newer Dream fondant is pretty darn good too. 

karen Yocom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karen Yocom Posted 30 Nov 2016 , 2:31pm
post #66 of 67

Thanks for the information...haven't tried either yet, but will (when it's not too important).  The "trial" with Satin Ice WAS for an important event, which made it VERY frustrating.  Fortunately,  I managed to patch the tears in the Satin Ice fondant with other decorative elements.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 8 Dec 2016 , 9:26am
post #67 of 67

I have never used it nor will I ever try it now. I normally only do buttercream cakes anyway or whipped cream cakes. It is sad when they change ingredients to cheaper stuff and then you do not get the same results. The corporations just do not care about quality any more but only how much more $ they can make by using cheaper stuff. Word gets around and soon they will go out of business which will serve them right!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%