911 Question About Leaving A Frosting Out Overnight........

Baking By KMianecki Updated 13 Sep 2013 , 5:01pm by KMianecki

KMianecki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMianecki Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 2:50am
post #1 of 5

Hi All, 

I am making a cake for this saturday. Normally how I work is I make my cakes on thursday night and refrigerate them. Then on Friday I cover them in fondant, decorate them, and leave them on the counter overnight. Then Saturday I put any last minute tid bits on. I just made a DELICIOUS frosting with half and half. I want to leave it out overnight on Friday into Saturday. I know this isn't the best idea, and I'm sure the health department would say it needs to be refrigerated, but I'm just wondering what you guys thought. Here is the recipe....note the half and half has been boiled....

Ingredients

• 1 cup milk
  • 5 tablespoons flour
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (not powdered sugar)
  •  

Instructions

1. In a medium saucepan, whisk one cup of milk with 5 tablespoons of flour. Heat over medium until the mixture begins to sputter, whisking constantly. Continue to stir as the mixture thickens. You will know it’s done when it reaches the consistency of thick cake batter, after about 7 minutes of heating and whisking. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and set aside to cool COMPLETELY.
  2. Now, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, or using a hand held mixer, beat 2 sticks of softened butter (1 cup) with 1 1/4 cups of granulated sugar until light, fluffy, and white in color, about 3 solid minutes of beating on medium-high speed. You want the sugar to be totally incorporated into the butter.
  3. Be sure that the milk/flour mixture has completely cooled, and add it to the butter/sugar mixture. Beat all ingredients for about 1 minute on high speed, scraping down the bowl halfway, until they are smooth and well blended. The frosting should be as light and fluffy as whipped cream

I just want to make sure no one will die. I also want to make sure when we cut the cake it won't be all "soupy" inside. Anyone have any experience with this frosting?? Thanks!!

4 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 5

Why don't you refrigerate it over night?

KMianecki Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 5

AHi Yortma, well I try to never refrigerate my fondant cakes. Plus this cake will be sprayed with Duff graffiti spray and I'm scared it will sweat in the fridge or once I take it out of the fridge and it gets room temp....

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 5

AThis site states flour frosting is good for up to a week but I can't find a source nor anything to corroborate http://leelabeanbakes.com/blog/frosting-filling/cooked-flour-frosting/

If you are still worried you can use water and powdered milk or UHT milk instead of fresh milk as this will reduce the baseline bacterial content, you can also add more sugar- as much as you can stabd the taste of- this can increase shelf life by a few days.

Hope that helps ease your mind :-)

KMianecki Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much you guys, I'm going for it!! I was worried about the half and half. But since I boiled it, I think I'll be fine. :) Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%