Secret To Baking Cakes 3 Days In Advance And Keeping Them Moist.

Lounge By legina2005 Updated 30 Dec 2013 , 8:47pm by robinsnestcakery

legina2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
legina2005 Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 12

Help!!!! I have always been complimented on the moistness of my cakes. Which means a lot around here since there are other bakers with great decorating skills but cakes are over cooked.  I pride myself on this.  But I am getting lots of orders and business is growing.  But I am wanting to be able to bake the cakes in advance by 3 days to allow enough time for decorating.  Are there any tips that would help???

PLEASE AND THANK YOU

11 replies
rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 12

I freeze my layers.  No problems with them getting dry.  I think if it's a good, moist cake to start with, shouldn't be an issue.  I have 3 wedding cakes this weekend, and all my layers went in the freezer last week.  

charlotteenos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlotteenos Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 12

AI agree freeze them. Make sure you wrap them real good.

amyswtcks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyswtcks Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 12

Freeze them and you should have no problems. As long as your cake was moist to begin with, you should have no trouble with dryness when you remove them from the freezer. 

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 12:21am
post #5 of 12

what you can do is bake, let them come to room temp, then wrap, wrap, wrap again, freeze them, and then when you need to defrost you should pull them out and not unwrap them till fully defrosted. This helps them retain the moisture too. ;)

CakeDolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDolls Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 3:58am
post #6 of 12

AI needed help with this issues also. Thank you too all who posted so helpful!

legina2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
legina2005 Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 12

AThank you all for your replies. I didn't mean to be rude in not responding computer was dead!!!ugh!! Thank you all again!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 12

hurray for the resurrected computer--

you can also use splashes sometimes called washes to ensure maximum moisture in your products --

simple syrup + flavoring brushed onto cake (i do it before freezing)

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 12

ASo do you guys freeze your cakes already filled and crumb coated? When thereafter do you cover with fondant? Sorry it's just I want to start covering with fondant and have never freezed my cakes which I would love to try. And thanks for this thread it's given me tips too :-)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 12

i don't often crumb coat because i don't want to ice the cakes more times than i need to-- i figure once is enough--but i freeze mine all filled and ready to be iced--they are usually in the freezer for a coupla days max--i unwrap mine immediately out of the freezer so i can brush off any ice crystals that formed and i ice them immediately--still frozen--store in fridge from that point on and cover with fondant right then or as the schedule allows--within 24 hours for sure--

there are more than ten million different ways to do this--best wishes as you find the one that works best for you

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 8:34pm
post #11 of 12

AThank you for the tips!!

robinsnestcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinsnestcakery Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 8:47pm
post #12 of 12

I bake, bring to room temp, double wrap and refrigerate no reason to freeze :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%