Non-Dairy Buttercream For Fondant Cakes Recipe And How Important Is It?

Baking By lilyrose412 Updated 18 Sep 2013 , 8:54pm by lilyrose412

lilyrose412 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyrose412 Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 5

What is the best non-dairy buttercream to use with fondant covered cakes? How important is the buttercream? For the cake I'm going to be making now I'm going to be using Satin Ice fondant. It's a chocolate cake. Can I use chocolate frosting instead or is buttercream better? This is the recipe I was thinking of using:

• Chocolate Frosting
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 6 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 4 tablespoons cocoa
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • Directions:

Mix sugars, cornstarch, salt, and cocoa in a medium sauce pan.

Whisk in the water.

Heat over medium until it gets thick and starts to boil. Boil for 1-2 minutes.

(Make sure you don’t boil too long, or it will set like taffy.)

Remove from heat and stir in oil and vanilla. Cool and spread on cooled cake.

4 replies
shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 5

ASeems like it might be soft. You could use ganache, it firms up when chilled. Make sure the color wont show through light colored fondant.

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 5

ASorry, just noticed you said non-dairy.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 5

You can make non-dairy ganache.  Just substitute the cream with Coconut milk or Almond milk and use lactose free chocolate.  The downside - when I made this a month ago I discovered it does not set up nice and hard when refrigerated.  It made for difficult corners.

I attempted to make a meringue based butter cream also.  Although the taste was OK, it was really soft, so I made another batch and ended up using 1/2 New Balance buttery sticks and 1/2 high ratio shortening.  I also added 1-2 tsp of cornstarch to stiffen. Still much softer than regular butter cream.   Like I said, it was just OK.

lilyrose412 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyrose412 Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everybody, I ended up making a non-dairy buttercream for one and using warm jam for the other.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%