5 Lb Tubs Of Satin Ice Now At Hobby Lobby

Decorating By ShaunaNicole Updated 7 Oct 2013 , 6:44pm by morganchampagne

ShaunaNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunaNicole Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 19

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd let you know (if you don't already) that Hobby Lobby now carries 5# tubs of satin Ice for around $23.  I used a 40% coupon the other day and was thrilled that I paid only $15 for 5 lbs.  $3/lb is less than I have even found online for bulk rates.  Hope this helps some of you!

18 replies
Shalan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalan Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 19

I will have to check my local Hobby Lobby. That is great news!  Thanks!

vicki515 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki515 Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 19

AWill check mine too. Thanks for the tip. I've never used Satin Ice. Do you like it?

ShaunaNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunaNicole Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicki515 

Will check mine too. Thanks for the tip. I've never used Satin Ice. Do you like it?

I liked it better than Wilton, and better than the Fondarific samples I received that were already hard (so I couldn't determine if I liked the product or not).  I also liked it better than the Duff's brand (was way to soft/sticky for me to work with).  The Satin Ice seemed like a nice middle ground of soft to firm.  However, I am, in general, having a hard time covering cakes with fondant.  It seems for that application Wilton is the easiest (because it is so dry) because it doesn't stick to itself or loose it shape upon application (however, I don't like the taste and it often "cracks" around the edges because it is so dry... So my quest for the "perfect" fondant is still on, but I think the Satin Ice was relatively easy to work with (for making shapes and such) and didn't taste bad.  

vicki515 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki515 Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 2:36am
post #5 of 19

AThanks. I'll check it out.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 3:39am
post #6 of 19

AI accidentally ordered satin ice instead of the decopac brand and was so upset, I almost cried. Lol satin ice tastes like Wilton fondant mixed with playdough and vanilla.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 3:52am
post #7 of 19

AGleggh. Just the stink alone is enough to put me off Satin Ice.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 4:18am
post #8 of 19

AI bought some satin ice too...and was surprised that I actually liked the taste. I am new to using fondant so I'm really not that particular yet. It did kind of smell like play dough though

SweetCarolines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCarolines Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 4:33am
post #9 of 19

Satin Ice issue aside, I'm so jealous of all of you people living in the mainland. No Hobby Lobby in Puerto Rico. Not even a Michaels. A couple of Walmarts, but apparently they didn't think people baked in this island, because their baking section is, like, "hey, we'll put this spatula here right next to a lonely bundt cake pan. Wait, you blinked! Now your in the bikes section."

It's okay, because it means I get to support our local mom and pop baking supply stores, but man. Every once in a while I'd love to hit a big sale. Or just find cute things for a dollar. I really miss Michaels. I even miss Jo-Ann, and that's saying something.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 10:32am
post #10 of 19

I'm sticking with homemade marshmallow fondant mixed with one cup of melted Merkins chocolate and accented with LorAn Cotton Candy flavoring.  :-)  Smoother than a baby's behind, luscious taste - no cracking or dryness and just the right amount of "stretch" to roll it thinner than most.  Oh and five pounds of MMF costs around $7.00.  Can't beat that.

niniel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niniel1 Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 11:05am
post #11 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeniseNH 

I'm sticking with homemade marshmallow fondant mixed with one cup of melted Merkins chocolate and accented with LorAn Cotton Candy flavoring.  :-)  Smoother than a baby's behind, luscious taste - no cracking or dryness and just the right amount of "stretch" to roll it thinner than most.  Oh and five pounds of MMF costs around $7.00.  Can't beat that.

Your MMF recipe sounds delicious! I'm in the UK, so I googled Merckins chocolate, is it like candy melts? or regular chocolate? Do you use white chocolate? 

MsInes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsInes Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 11:16am
post #12 of 19

AYes, I've heard, and from I can seen on the newspapers, things in PR are getting rough. But I know that cake decorating is huge over there,. Right?! I am from PR.

melodym38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodym38 Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 10:25pm
post #13 of 19

AFound it at my Hobby lobby.. Was 22.99 with 40% off was 13.79... Thanks!!!!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 12:10am
post #14 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetCarolines 

Satin Ice issue aside, I'm so jealous of all of you people living in the mainland. No Hobby Lobby in Puerto Rico. Not even a Michaels. A couple of Walmarts, but apparently they didn't think people baked in this island, because their baking section is, like, "hey, we'll put this spatula here right next to a lonely bundt cake pan. Wait, you blinked! Now your in the bikes section."

It's okay, because it means I get to support our local mom and pop baking supply stores, but man. Every once in a while I'd love to hit a big sale. Or just find cute things for a dollar. I really miss Michaels. I even miss Jo-Ann, and that's saying something.

No complaining allowed for those who live in a tropical island paradise!!! :lol::lol::lol:

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 6 Oct 2013 , 12:30am
post #15 of 19

A

Original message sent by DeniseNH

Can you tell me how do you mix the melted chocolate into the mmf...do you mix the melted chocolate in the melted marshmallows or ??

morganchampagne Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 3:20pm
post #16 of 19

AYou add melted chocolate to the melted marshmallows

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 4:07pm
post #17 of 19

what is the ratio of chocolate to marshmallow?

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 4:45pm
post #18 of 19

Morgan, would you mind sharing the recipe you use? I have tried several recipes with added chocolate and the texture has not been good. Thank you.

morganchampagne Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 6:44pm
post #19 of 19

ASure! I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF. I add maybe about 6/7 ounces of chocolate. If you are trying to get it super dark add cocoa powder instead.

There's really no "right" amount. That's just what I use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%