Dummies Half Or Whole And Why?

Decorating By smittyditty Updated 11 Sep 2013 , 12:06am by BatterUpCake

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 2:37am
post #1 of 28

I'm in the middle of decorating my Cake dummies and I'm not sure if I should go all the way or only half?

Do you decorate all 360 degrees or only half of your dummies?

Why? I'm torn because I know I'm just going to tear it off eventually and make a new one so just wondering if there is something I'm missing as to why I should do the whole thing?

Thanks!

27 replies
JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 2:50am
post #2 of 28

I normally do all my dummies 360 so I can take photos from different angles.  I keep them around for awhile as displays.  It will be interesting to see other opinions :)

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 2:58am
post #3 of 28

I do the whole thing, too. I feel that, except for the fact that it's Styrofoam, a dummy should be just like a real cake. So, decorated all the way around; no inedible décor; nothing stuck into it; no glue guns; you get the picture. :D

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 2:58am
post #4 of 28

I do mine all the way around as well, for the same reason JWinslow said, I can take pictures at any angle.

smittyditty Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:18am
post #5 of 28

Darn it..lol...So Just a flat front shot would be bad and a close up between two tiers? I was thinking repeating pattern no matter what angle its the same three tiers all the way round...its late and my eyelids are heavy so I'm probably not thinking to clear :???:

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:33am
post #6 of 28

APsssshaw. Yep, sometimes I'll do just enough to fill the frame, and I'll take closeups at an angle that doesn't show the undecorated part. I don't smooth down the back fondant either, I just smooth it around far enough to where you don't see it, and tear it off the back.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:37am
post #7 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Psssshaw. Yep, sometimes I'll do just enough to fill the frame, and I'll take closeups at an angle that doesn't show the undecorated part. I don't smooth down the back fondant either, I just smooth it around far enough to where you don't see it, and tear it off the back.

Gasp!  LOL :)

smittyditty Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:39am
post #8 of 28

There's my girl! As long as I know someones done it and I'm not missing something since its my first dummy. I'm hitting the hay my brain is dead I don't know how some of you work till midnight..its only 10:30pm and I need tape to hold my eyelids open.8O

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 4:02am
post #9 of 28

I am doing mine all the way around because I can always use more practice.

AZCouture Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 4:20am
post #10 of 28

If you do dummies cause you need the practice, then yeah, might as well do do it right. But they're never gonna misbehave, so I always say do as many real cakes as dummies to make sure you're keeping up with the way real cake behaves too.

BatterUpCake Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 11:08am
post #11 of 28

I know!! That's what I was thinking when I was doing the dummies...when I had something to fix on the side I would catch myself picking it up and tilting it. I just got tired of eating all of that darned cake!

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 12:50pm
post #12 of 28

I do the entire dummy. I like the look of a finished cake.

smittyditty Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:24pm
post #13 of 28

Thanks for all the replies. I have a small dummy cake and I think that one will be one sided and then I'll do my larger one all the way around. Thing is I'm also trying to start my portfolio so if I only do half then I can ripe it off start again and not waste so much material. I'd like to start the first few cakes as halfs and at the end of the portfolio make them whole to save. In all this I think I need more dummies! lol.

How many dummy cakes do you have pre-made at a time?

Cakespirations Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:38pm
post #14 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittyditty 

Thanks for all the replies. I have a small dummy cake and I think that one will be one sided and then I'll do my larger one all the way around. Thing is I'm also trying to start my portfolio so if I only do half then I can ripe it off start again and not waste so much material. I'd like to start the first few cakes as halfs and at the end of the portfolio make them whole to save. In all this I think I need more dummies! lol.

now portfolios are a totally different story. If I am doing a shoot for website uploads or ads. I do what the camera see's. Right now though I have about 12 dummies fully completed. (I have a show in 2 weeks)

smittyditty Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:42pm
post #15 of 28

Wow 12!!!! lol...Ok well if you didn't have a show and you just had them made up so clients could see how many?

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:51pm
post #16 of 28

AWhen I use dummy cakes I cover the entire thing. Usually I make dummies both for pictures and display purposes so that when I do have a show coming up, I already have display-worthy cakes-- rather than having to complete a whole lot of them for a show.

As my skills improve I rip up those that are no longer the style of cakes I want to create to make designs more in line with my present skill set.

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 9:16pm
post #17 of 28

Do you wrap your dummy in plastic wrap?  I tried one once, and ended up throwing it away after trying to get the fondant off.  I think I had only rubbed it with shortening.

BatterUpCake Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 9:18pm
post #18 of 28

did you try soaking your dummy in hot water to get the fondant off?

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 9:25pm
post #19 of 28

I did, and rubbed under running water.  At which point I was loosing Styrofoam!  I had just started out, and my Wilton teacher had an extra dummy that I bought to play with.  As a hobby baker, I don't have much call for dummies, but just wondered!

AZCouture Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 9:28pm
post #20 of 28

No no no! No hot water, no soaking. Just let them dry up, put them in a plastic bag, and whack it all over from the outside of the bag with a rolling pin or a mallet. The fondant will crack right off leaving your styrofoam in perfect condition, IF you used shortening to adhere it in the first place. Water generally makes it stick too hard and then all you can do is soak it, but it weakens the dummy. Use shortening, and either peel it back off before it hardens, or what I just described.

BatterUpCake Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 9:31pm
post #21 of 28

glad I used shortening then...

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 9:55pm
post #22 of 28

AI wrap in plastic then smear with shortening. You can just pull the whole thing off. In fact, I've been able to pull fondant off a dummy completely intact after it had hardened doing it that way.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 10:56pm
post #23 of 28

I just put the fondant directly on the dummy. Unless it's shaped like a pillow or something.

Cakespirations Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 11:03pm
post #24 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

No no no! No hot water, no soaking. Just let them dry up, put them in a plastic bag, and whack it all over from the outside of the bag with a rolling pin or a mallet. The fondant will crack right off leaving your styrofoam in perfect condition, IF you used shortening to adhere it in the first place. Water generally makes it stick too hard and then all you can do is soak it, but it weakens the dummy. Use shortening, and either peel it back off before it hardens, or what I just described.

I will do this from now on based solely on the fact it sounds like an enormous amount of fun...

BatterUpCake Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 11:22pm
post #25 of 28

LOL..too funny!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 11:48pm
post #26 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittyditty 

I have a hard time getting them (I hate to pay shipping and the nearest good cake decorating supply store is almost 1 1/2 hours away :() so I keep them until I need the Styrofoam again. I'm starting to get a decent collection but it's been hard dismantling some of my better competition cakes!

smittyditty Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 12:01am
post #27 of 28

I put a mix of water/ piping gel on mine and put the fondant on that way. I read in one of the threads you can stick them in the freezer and the whole thing pops right off. I haven't tried that yet but I'll let you know if I decide to destroy one.

BatterUpCake Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 12:06am
post #28 of 28

This reminds me of a video I just watched earlier on Wicked Goodies site where she punched and karate kicked a cake...lol. I know I have worked on cakes where I have wanted to do that too...a Hammer would be fun too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%