Questions With Writable Pens On Cake

Decorating By skcakestudio03 Updated 8 Sep 2013 , 10:54am by MimiFix

skcakestudio03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skcakestudio03 Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 12

I have a co-worker who's husband was in a wreck last Sat. and  instead of having everyone sign a card, I was thinking of making a solid white cake and having everyone sign the cake with writable food pens. I dont know if I should put it on a dummy cake with white fondant so it will last longer or a real cake. Plus I dont know if its a great idea or not. Ive never used these writing food pens on a cake before. Any suggestions?

11 replies
lindseyjhills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyjhills Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 12

AI think this is a lovely idea :) I'm not sure where you are based, but in my experience the Americolor gourmet writers are much easier to use on fondant than the rainbow dust ones. Just remind people not to use too much pressure when they sign! Letting the fondant 'set' overnight this will make writing easier too. I'd probably suggest running the idea past your colleague as to whether their husband would like a real cake or not. Good luck - please come back and post a picture :)

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 12

AYou could have people sign the fondant covered board. That way he can have his cast-substitute-cake and eat it too!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 12

AIf you have a place that sells the Lucks Edible Images you could have them sign a sheet of that, you know the stuff with the patterns all over it.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 12

AReal cake so they can have something to serve guests who come to commiserate. Have the signers wash their hands and wear disposable gloves before they write.

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 12

Real cake, for the reason vgcea mentioned. They can always take photos of the signed cake. I think it's a terrific idea :)

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 12

Best idea ever! Real cake fo sho'

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 12

cookies, big fondant covered cookies.

MeghanKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeghanKelly Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 12

I use edible markers frequently.  Just have to let the fondant "crust" a bit before they can write, and they can't press hard.  I'd love to see a pic when it's done!

skcakestudio03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skcakestudio03 Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 7:59am
post #10 of 12

AThank you for all the suggestions! I will definitely check with my coworker about real cake or not but I was thinking a 2 tier sold white fondant covered cake and adding a bow or the top with maybe a ribbon to separate the 2 cakes. As in color of bow and pen.. would it look better if they matched in color and would it give it more life if all the pen colors are different.? Another question on what type of pens.. I only have on me the wilton food writer pens.. is there a better brand of pens for this project or do I have the best set of pens? Thanks again for all the help!

lindseyjhills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyjhills Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 9:41am
post #11 of 12

AI don't have experience of the Wilton ones,but as I said the Americolor ones work well. Might be worth rolling out a small piece of fondant, letting it dry and testing the pens before you make the cake (that's what I'd do)

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 10:54am
post #12 of 12

I can't advise about the pen details, but making a cake is a lovely idea! It's sure to bring many smiles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%