Do I Need To Let Chocolate Ganache Set?

Decorating By cakeMeesa Updated 7 Sep 2013 , 7:57am by scrumdiddlycakes

cakeMeesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeMeesa Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 6:58am
post #1 of 4

AI just baked my cakes and they are cooling on a wire rack. I am about to make chocolate ganache for the first time. I plan to use semisweet chocolate ganache for the filling and then cover it with white chocolate ganache , then cover with fondant.

My question is, do I need to let the chocolate ganache settle over night first? Or can I pop it in the fridge for like 15 minutes then be able to use it to cover my cake tonight?

3 replies
Daisyblue002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisyblue002 Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 7:24am
post #2 of 4

Hi CakeMeesa, I'm not expert so would also like hear advice from others too. I do tend to let my ganache set up overnight before applying to the cake. I either leave it out on the bench overnight, or if it's hot weather put in the fridge overnight & then microwave in short bursts until it reaches a peanut butter consistency. That way you have a nice consistency that isn't going to rip your cakes apart when you're filling and covering the outside. Also helps you achieve nice edges on your fondant. Just make sure there's no lumps in your ganache!! Hope that helps, good luck :)

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 7:54am
post #3 of 4

AIf you want to put it on like buttercream rather than pour it then yes. Overnight is best otherwise stick if in the fridge for a bit.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 7:57am
post #4 of 4

Yes you need to let it set at room temp, you never want to refrigerate ganache before it has set.

The fat needs to to form some crystallization, which is what stabilizes, or sets, the ganache. Putting it in the fridge speeds the process up too much and doesn't allow that to happen properly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%