Cream Cheese Frosting Help!

Decorating By TheRoamingBaker Updated 7 Sep 2013 , 3:02am by TheRoamingBaker

TheRoamingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheRoamingBaker Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 12:39am
post #1 of 4

I recently made my very first red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting for my husband's homecoming. It tasted great, even during taste tests, and he was really happy with it. Yeay!

I had it in the fridge for about a day or two, and the frosting has become really gummy. It's two layers, so the filling in the middle is perfectly fine, but the outside is just gummy. It doesn't smell bad, and we keep our fridge at a pretty low temp so nothing goes bad in it.

Any suggestions as to what happened? When I tested it fresh after finishing the recipe, it was amazing! It still tastes really good, it's just the gummy part. I tried researching it but to no avail. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

3 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 1:54am
post #2 of 4

Was the cake in something or was it covered? Condensation will "happen" on a naked cake. I believe the answer is to remove the cake from the fridge and let it come to room temperature without touching it--the condensation will evaporate.  Someone else may be able to give a more specific answer if it's not condensation.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 2:13am
post #3 of 4

AThat's what happens to cream cheese frosting when it dries out. It doesn't crust because of the cheese. Not sure there is much you can do about it except eat the cake faster. Or try an airtight container such as a Tupperware cake keeper.

TheRoamingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheRoamingBaker Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 3:02am
post #4 of 4

Ahh ok. I didn't think it would dry out because it was in the fridge, but that makes total sense. I'll definitely be sure to remember that next time. Thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%