Ganache Recipe Tested At Lab?

Business By tennilley Updated 8 Sep 2013 , 8:29am by MBalaska

tennilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tennilley Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 8

Hi fellow cakers! So I'm in California and I just got a call from the EPA and was informed that ganache is not an approved item, even though a few months ago I was told it was fine.. ugh.. Anyway.. I was told that If someone in another county has had their recipe tested an approved that I could use that and still continue to offer ganache.. 

Texas has a list of approved items that were tested on their website.. I think it would be cool if we could do something like this as well. Pool all of our testings together. 

http://www.texascottagefoodlaw.com/Resources/Recipes.aspx

Just a thought.. Thanks in advance :) 

7 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 8

AI agree! I asked my health department a bunch of questions a few weeks ago, and he said he didn't know any answers! So I sent him a list of questions & still haven't heard back. It would be nice to have a list of approved items.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 8

AAnything that fits your state's definition of "non potentially hazardous" based on pH and water activity level should be allowed. I would contact your county health dept (not sure why the EPA would be calling you?) and check if they would allow your ganache recipe if you have it tested at an accredited lab and it comes back as NPH.

For example, here is a lab that specializes in food safety testing: http://www.food-safetynet.com/index.html

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 3:08am
post #4 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennilley 

Hi fellow cakers! So I'm in California and I just got a call from the EPA and was informed that ganache is not an approved item, even though a few months ago I was told it was fine.. ugh.. Anyway.. I was told that If someone in another county has had their recipe tested an approved that I could use that and still continue to offer ganache.. 

Texas has a list of approved items that were tested on their website.. I think it would be cool if we could do something like this as well. Pool all of our testings together. 

http://www.texascottagefoodlaw.com/Resources/Recipes.aspx

Just a thought.. Thanks in advance :) 

The EPA is a federal agency and deals with environmental issues. I agree with Jason, that I don't understand why they would be contacting you about food regs which are under the state of CA. Do you have a contact number for them that verifies they are actually the EPA? Maybe someone is messing with you? I am curious if it really is them and why they are involved in the cfl.

tennilley Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 3:46am
post #5 of 8

AI'm a dummy it's the EMD not EPA. Sorry it was a stressful day. Lol

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 6:54am
post #6 of 8

AWhat is the EMD?

tennilley Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 8:06am
post #7 of 8

AThe environmental Management Department. It's the division of the health department here in Sacramento that handles the cottage food law.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 8:29am
post #8 of 8

tennilly:  beautiful avatar, gorgeous cakes!!  (consider moving to a different state, someplace where chocolate & cream are considered food and not a prohibited government regulated toxic chemical, how Orwellian.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%