Where Do You Get Your Inspiration?

Lounge By cakealicious7 Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 6:15pm by MBalaska

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 8

AI've seen some fabulous cakes here on CC and the net, and I was just wondering where do you get your inspiration/ideas from? I know customers also give you hints as to what they'd like, but what do you do when your left to your own devices? I'm really trying to get into the baking bug as I have so much time on my hands now and I'd love to know : )

7 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 6:57am
post #2 of 8

As a make up artist you already have a skill level in coloring, shading, shaping that may work well for you in decorating.  A home baker, hobbyist, like me....well, I can't answer your question about 'fab' cakes. I'm at a much lower skill level. So, I am always left to my own devices.

I have bought lots of pro books, looked at almost everything that the library has on the shelf, along with the monthly mags there. Purchased videos in the old days, DVD's in the new ones, and now cruise through the internet.

Not having a business I get to do what I please, within the limits of consideration for the recipient. So when I learn a new technique, or get a new tool I try it out on the next cake/cookie/candy batch.

Look at how well you did on your rose making in just one visit to CC.  Pretty cool huh? You can be proud!

cakealicious7 Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 9:37am
post #3 of 8

AMB your cakes/cupcakes are FAB!! I love how neat your work is, well i hope i can learn just as well as you did : ) i certainly can't wait to start trying and thankyou so much for your encouragement : D

MBalaska Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 9:58am
post #4 of 8

Thanks Cakealicious7.  I just got individual metal rose petal cutters today, so I'll work on improving the modeling chocolate roses. Also got a DVD from Nicholas Lodge on how to make gumpaste roses.  Been watching that tonight.  I'd have to buy a ton of stuff to do that, so later maybe......but the video may also help me with proper forming of fondant roses.

I am going to try the 'camo' cake next, that would go over like hotcakes here in Alaska!! That's tomorrows project.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 10:40am
post #5 of 8

I get inspiration from everywhere, I find it hard to stop the inspiration. I once built an entire cake from the cover of a gardening magazine, all it had was some cherry blossoms against a blue sky. 

This is what I came up with, 

Christening or baby shower cake , Inspired by cherry blossoms against a bright blue sky. I won first place with it at our City's Show on the Weekend.

cakealicious7 Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 10:41am
post #6 of 8

AOooh busy bee!! Would love to see how your modeling chocolate roses turn out!

cakealicious7 Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 10:48am
post #7 of 8

A

Original message sent by Chellescakes

I get inspiration from everywhere, I find it hard to stop the inspiration. I once built an entire cake from the cover of a gardening magazine, all it had was some cherry blossoms against a blue sky.  This is what I came up with,  [URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2396322/]Christening or baby shower cake , Inspired by cherry blossoms against a bright blue sky. I won first place with it at our City's Show on the Weekend. [/URL]

That is really pretty!! Its so unique, that's why i asked this question because its nice to see something different. Would love for more people to upload their unique cakes!

MBalaska Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chellescakes 

I get inspiration from everywhere, I find it hard to stop the inspiration.

Christening or baby shower cake , Inspired by cherry blossoms against a bright blue sky. I won first place with it at our City's Show on the Weekend.

Chellescakes:  WOW that is simply elegant !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%