Ford Transit--Anyone Have One?

Business By ddaigle Updated 10 Sep 2013 , 3:17pm by kikiandkyle

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 11

If you have one, I would like to know your opinion.  I want to buy one of these for deliveries.   I want to know how they handle and if there is air vents in the back to keep the cake cool.

10 replies
kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 11

AI believe they are different models in the UK and the US, you're looking at one in the US right?

ddaigle Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 11

Yes, U.S.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 11

AHave you done a test drive?

ddaigle Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 11

I have not.   There are a ton of them around town..and I actually saw a bakery owner have one.   I hate to go test drive if it is not even worth the trip.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 11

Have you checked the specs on the Ford website?

ddaigle Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 11

I have and didn't see the scoop on the A/C..even called the dealer and he didn't know and didn't call me back...thought someone here might have one.

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 11

My husband has driven a cargo version of this vehicle.  He does HVAC construction work and this is one of the service vans his company owns.

First, he said that is sucked for open road driving because of the small engine.  He carries a LOT of heavy tools and this vehicle with a 4 cylinder engine can not handle the load and hills on the highway.  He said it would be fine for a light load, in town with no hills.

Second, the cargo version has a cage behind the front seats to protect the driver from flying tools.  This cage also prevents the seat from sliding back as far as it can go, so as a 6-foot 5-inch man he was cramped and had back, leg and hip pain after driving for just an hour.

He said that the one he drove was a cargo, and had no a/c in the back area, but you may be able to order one that way.  You won't know until you sit down to buy one.

When he had it overnight we sat in it and I personally didn't like the seats, it wasn't comfortable.  I could LIVE in his Suburban the most comfortable car seat I have ever sat in.  I need a larger vehicle that can handle heavy loads and we live in the hilly Appalachians.  The little Ford was a No for our needs.

But, if you live and drive in a flat town, look into one, if you aren't over 5'10" tall.

Oh, if you can go with a smaller cargo area, the Ford Escape Hybrid suv.  It has a lovely ride and he had a cargo version, but it was really good on gas for the size of the vehicle.  He said that he would like to get one for us, it's just a bit out of my price range.  Nice car though.

Of his company vehicles the Suburban's are the ones the guys want to hang onto the longest.  His is very heavy duty, his old one just was scrapped because the company decided to not replace the brake line, he was heartbroken.  The Suburban handles all roads and hills, can carry a huge load and has the most comfortable ride.  He was lucky to get the last one, but after this one dies he'll be stuck with a different vehicle, its a corporate decision.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 11

I will be watching this as I was looking at that model too - it's called a Ford Transit Connect or Transit Tourneo over here. It's the small van, right? I was looking at the one with seats actually, since I need to be able to use it as an actual car, not just a cargo vehicle. In which case, I'm pretty sure the aircon would get all the way to the back, just like a car.

ddaigle Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 2:17pm
post #10 of 11

Baker Rose..Thanks so much for all of that input....I just got all caught up in how cute they were.    My husband saw one at his jobsite and said it would NOT be a good idea to use for a cake truck..that it's great for small equipment companies.    So...I will move on to looking for something else.  Thanks again!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 10 Sep 2013 , 3:17pm
post #11 of 11

AI loved my Ford Escape, drove like a dream. I still kick myself for trading it in for an Edge.

Ford is changing the Transit for 2014, I read somewhere that they're going to be imported as passenger vans to save on duty then retro-fitted as cargo vans. So in theory I guess you could order one with rear ac...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%