Sheet Cake For 150?

Decorating By JennW Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 12:23am by scrumdiddlycakes

JennW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennW Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 3:05am
post #1 of 8

3962894285_580f0ebe8b_z.jpg

This is a photo sent to me by a customer who needs a cake similar to this for 150 people.  I have only made 1 cake that was for 80, so not sure about 150.  Any suggestions on what size cakes I should use, and how many, to make a cake to feed that many, and not in the stacked cake form.  I am guessing I will have to make a few and piece them together, any tips on how to make sure it is all perfectly even?

Thanks!

Jenn

7 replies
texas_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texas_mom Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 7:05am
post #2 of 8

Using a 16 inch square pan and baking two of them place  side by side will  give you a rectangle.  A 16X16X2 two layer cake give you 80 serving so two of these cake will give you 160 serving.  But since you do not want to stack them your cake will be  thinner than the one in the picture.  This is a cake I made using a single layer of a 19X19X2 inch pan and it was just enough cake per serving since it was after a meal. It wasn't as thin as I thought it would be once I put a crumb coat and fondant on it. Since you may be placing emblems on the sides of the cake you may need to make it two inches to give you the room you will need to place them. Or make very tiny emblems.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 8:12am
post #3 of 8

When you say you don't want to stack, do you mean you don't want to layer the cake inside at all, or you don't want to do a tiered cake?

Industry standard for a piece of unfilled sheet cake is 2"x2"x2".

If you are set on 2" high single layers, and don't want to use sheet cake pans, 2 16" squares and 1 8" square, cut in half to match the width, gives you 144 servings. If every single person actually ends up eating a piece, those extra 6 servings can easily be made up while cutting.

Personally, I would do 2 12"x12"x4" cakes next to each other, 144 servings, no waste and only one seam.

It's also a lot less surface to cover with fondant than making a 2" high cake will be. (I am assuming you are covering with fondant like the picture).

That also means a 2 foot long cake, instead of 3 feet, which can make a significant difference as far as transporting, carrying and displaying go.

JennW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennW Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 8

Yes, I meant I will be layering them (filling with mousse), but didn't want to do tiers.  I like the suggestion of the 12x12x4, you are right about transportation, that was another big worry of mine!  :)  Do you recommend going to Home Depot and making a board from wood or do you think a drum or foam core would be strong enough?

Thank you!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 8

A 12x12x4 = 72 servings.   A 16x16x4 = 128...and those are wedding servings..not party servings.  Still not enough servings.

texas_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texas_mom Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 8

JennW- I always use boards for large heavy cakes...but all my baking is for family so I know I will get the boards back.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 8

ADouble stacked full sheet cake would be just shy of 200 servings.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 12:23am
post #8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaigle 

A 12x12x4 = 72 servings.   A 16x16x4 = 128...and those are wedding servings..not party servings.  Still not enough servings.

I was suggesting 2 of them, side by side, not one, so 144 servings.

I always use the same serving chart, changing between wedding and parties just doesn't make sense to me, from a business standpoint.

That said, if the OP wants larger serving sizes, not going to hurt my feelings, lol.

I doubt you would be able to find a drum large enough to accommodate it anyway, but I would def go with a board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%