Find Printable Johnnie Walker Blue Label Image?

Decorating By HeavenlyFrostings Updated 5 Sep 2013 , 4:40pm by jason_kraft

HeavenlyFrostings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeavenlyFrostings Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 27

Hi guys!

Hope y'all can help me. I have an order for this weekend and hoping one of you have a free printable image of a Johnnie Walker Blue Label (to be placed on cake just like a label)?

I am hoping to get the same one they have on their scotch bottle like in the photo below or something that is decent/clear image.

If not, how do I create one somewhat similar? Really hoping you guys will be able to help me out. Very much appreciate your assist :) Thank you!

www.heavenlyfrostings.com

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), default quality

26 replies
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 27
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 27

AThe label is copyrighted, so you would need permission to duplicate it otherwise you would be committing copyright infringement.

HeavenlyFrostings Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 27

thank you so much for your reply. Yeah, I had the same thing hahah. I can't find something where the whole "label" is intact  :( I guess I'll just have to improvise lol

nonetheless, thank you very much :) have a fabulous week ahead...

HeavenlyFrostings Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 27

right. I just needed the label as the main "decor style" and then changing some of the letters/wording to make it slightly different; thus, not infringing on any copyrights ;) thanks...

jason_kraft Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 27

A

Original message sent by HeavenlyFrostings

right. I just needed the label as the main "decor style" and then changing some of the letters/wording to make it slightly different; thus, not infringing on any copyrights ;) thanks...

This is actually worse than just copying the label as-is, and you are putting yourself at risk for a lawsuit.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavenlyFrostings 

Still a copyright infringement.  And since you're changing it "slightly" it demonstrates you're aware its a copyright infringement.  This makes it worse.

HeavenlyFrostings Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 27

so, what is the best way to do this?

jason_kraft Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 10:38pm
post #9 of 27

AWhat's even worse is that you've included your business info in this thread along with documentation of your intent, and a google search for "johnnie walker copyright infringement" lists this thread on the first page of results.

jason_kraft Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 10:40pm
post #10 of 27

A

so, what is the best way to do this?

You could have the customer supply written permission from the copyright owner (some companies will grant permission for free, some will require a license fee, and some won't grant permission at all) or choose an alternative design.

Or you could buy a bottle of Blue Label, separate the label from the bottle, attach the label to a piece of fondant, and put it on top of the cake. This way you would not be copying the label.

HeavenlyFrostings Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 11:03pm
post #11 of 27

we did have a bottle of the scotch which I made a photo of ( I made a photo of our bottle). Unfortunately, I was not able to peel the whole thing so my copyI does not have the edges (missing letters). And I wanted the cake to look decent. I have it already but was hoping to get a better image.

So, quite frankly, I'm a bit taken aback at the hostility about the infringement. Specially since I am using my own image/pic from a bottle which I own (correct me if I'm wrong but I think that should be okay). My question earlier was if anyone has a better image (if one has the complete image, I'm pretty sure they have the rights to use it) Again, my reason for asking is because mine's not complete (the edges didn't peel off nicely so image is not that pretty) I was hoping someone would be kind enough to help me. I'm really surprised about the hostility regarding my question and attack on my business profile (?) Instead of help, I get a whole barrage of negativity.. Thanks a lot, folks...

jason_kraft Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 11:15pm
post #12 of 27

AThere's no hostility here...we're just pointing out how copyright law affects these types of requests, since many people are not familiar with it. If you want to make a copy of someone else's original design/logo/label, you need their permission. If you are not able to secure permission and can't use an original licensed item, you need to come up with another design.

I'm also not attacking your business profile, the intent of my post above was to show how easily someone could find information about your business if they are looking for people who are infringing Johnnie Walker copyrights. For example, I did not mention anything about how you do not have a commercial kitchen and are selling items that are not allowed under California's cottage food law, since that would be off-topic.

HeavenlyFrostings Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 11:26pm
post #13 of 27

We actually work in a commercial kitchen. We're looking for another (cheaper,affordable) kitchen but are also considering below change- recently passed in Jan 2013.

New State Law Effective January 1, 2013

Assembly Bill (AB) 1616 authored by Assembly Member Gatto, Chapter 415, Statutes of 2012 was signed into law by Governor Brown on September 21, 2012, and becomes effective on January 1, 2013. The bill allows individuals to prepare and/or package certain non-potentially hazardous foods in private-home kitchens referred to as “cottage food operations” (CFOs).

All cottage food operators will have to meet specified requirements pursuant to the California Health and Safety Code related to preparing foods that are on the approved food list, completing a food processor training course within three months of registering, implementing sanitary operations, establishing state and federal compliant labels, and operating within established gross annual sales limits.

Appreciate your input though...

jason_kraft Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 11:45pm
post #14 of 27

A

We actually work in a commercial kitchen. We're looking for another (cheaper,affordable) kitchen but are also considering below change- recently passed in Jan 2013.

This is starting to get OT but if you operate out of a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen I definitely recommend including that info on your web site, that's a great competitive advantage to have over cottage food businesses since they cannot make items like cheesecakes because they are potentially hazardous.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 12:01am
post #15 of 27

I don't know why people  are so quick to think you WON'T get permission.  In my experience (and yes, based in Australia - so may be different to US) I have had nothing but HELP from companies when I wanted to do something with a copyright issue.  Sometimes it pays to do your own 'research' - go direct to the horse's mouth ....  you might be surprised !   whilst well meaning people on CC can give you an answer/advice it isn't always written in stone - and god forbid.... SOMETIMES they are wrong!

When I wanted to do this Jim Beam bottle - I emailed and was not only given permission - I was given High Resolution files for the labels .... EVEN to the point of them sending me another file because it was NEW packaging for the Black Label.   They were fabulous to deal with .... and were genuinely interested in what I was doing and asked that I send them a pic once completed

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=409067919128321&set=a.249293008439147.54980.125025900865859&type=3&theater

Had the same with the Penfolds Grange wine bottle - company sent me the file of the label.

It's not always...... NO  

HeavenlyFrostings Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 12:22am
post #16 of 27

Thank you, ApplegumPam :) really appreciate your comment. It's just a tad saddening to come here on CC hoping to seek advise from professionals/ knowledgeable bakers, but instead, you get near-libelous & defamatory false comments regarding the nature of our business- very unexpected.

on a brighter note, it's always fun to hear something positive from someone outside the US. In fact, we recently did a cake for someone visiting from Australia :) Had so much fun doing it :) have a fabulous week ahead!

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 2:26am
post #17 of 27

For the record..... I wasn't saying

IGNORE the advice to NOT do anything that is copyrighted.

I WAS saying.....    Do your OWN research, instead of taking the word of people who may never have even attempted asking  - and  that..... you might just be surprised with the results you get

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 2:30am
post #18 of 27

AGood grief, they are trying to help you! And seriously, you think that owning a bottle with a copyrighted label gives blanket permission to photocopy and scan it for reproduction? Come on. And libelous and defamatory statements? Really?

jason_kraft Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 2:39am
post #19 of 27

ASometimes the hardest part is finding out who to contact. In Johnnie Walker's case the copyright is owned by Diageo, which is based in the UK (contact info below).

Also, if you have cakes on your web site or FB page that have copyrighted elements (cartoon characters, logos, comic book characters, or anything recognizable as such), it is advisable to remove them ASAP if you have not obtained permission.

-- http://www.diageo.com/en-row/Pages/contacts.aspx

Diageo plc Lakeside Drive Park Royal London NW10 7HQ

For general enquiries and sponsorship requests please call the main switch board on +44(0)20 8978 6000

HeavenlyFrostings Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 2:42am
post #20 of 27

to AppleGum: oh, I'm absolutely not going to ignore any advice; that's why I came to CC in the first place :) in case there's points I may have missed. thanks again

HeavenlyFrostings Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 2:48am
post #21 of 27

much appreciated. thanks!

hygienixy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hygienixy Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 6:31am
post #22 of 27

Sometimes it may seems dark, but the absence of light is a necessary part... That it.

just like: http://www.gw2farm.com/

http://www.fifaxbox.co.uk/

http://www.vipfutcoins.co.uk

SweetCarolines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCarolines Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 2:33pm
post #23 of 27

I agree with AppleGumPam, generally companies tend to be very nice and all it takes is an e-mail or a phone call. Right when Angry Birds came out, before the craze, the people from Rivio were super cool and even asked me fore pictures of my finished product.

HeavenlyFrostings, don't take it the wrong way. You DID get advice, and very good advice. Jason's posts are very helpful and stuff like this needs to be reiterated because there are a lot of people who don't know these things and could end up getting into a lot of trouble! Remember, there are a lot of lurkers.

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 2:45pm
post #24 of 27

Wowsers, once again a simple question, turned into much more. Its one thing to inform but to keep on informing over and over again is so redundant, and then to accuse them of baking in a non commercial kitchen when she does use a commercial kitchen is crossing the line... THAT WASNT HER QUESTION.

If you dont know something.. dont act like you do, and dont jump to conclusions. Thats why I hate CC half the time. Thank goodness for half of cc being awesome people, its always the same.

What I have learned from CC, ignore the ignorant replys, but today I had a hard time, and I felt for her. I agree to try to contact the place for permission, before anything else:) you may be surprised!

HeavenlyFrostings Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 3:14pm
post #25 of 27

Hi SweetCarolines. Thanks for the advice. And yes, advices were good  and of course very much appreciated :) Came here to seek help getting a better pic (JW label) since all we have was a not-so-great scanned copy from a bottle we had. I really didn't think this was infringing on any rights and as it turns out, this is what Jason recommended as well (Or you could buy a bottle of Blue Label, separate the label from the bottle, attach the label to a piece of fondant, and put it on top of the cake. This way you would not be copying the label.-Jason).

We were just taken aback on his harsh comments (" What's even worse is that you've included your business info in this thread along with documentation of your intent...";  "...I'm also not attacking your business profile, the intent of my post above was to show how easily someone could find information about your business if they are looking for people who are infringing Johnnie Walker copyrights. For example, I did not mention anything about how you do not have a commercial kitchen and are selling items that are not allowed under California's cottage food law, since that would be off-topic."-Jason)

Nonetheless, all the advices are good especially about the infringement. We actually already sent JW company an email requesting permission to use their brand but are still awaiting reply.  That's why we posted our question. All we needed was help on finding a better photo. We welcome suggestions and advices but when someone opens their mouth without checking the facts first, that's what ticks us off lol. so, when the comment was made about us "selling items not allowed", that's a false statement and indeed libelous. I do my best to see the good in people but it's hard to do so especially when they sputter erroneous info, slighting our business. I'm sure some peeps don't agree and I respect that, but this is how I feel in regards to some comments made on our post. It's ludicrous to even suggest that we'll knowingly infringe something :(  <sigh!> Sorry for the long rant hahah! Anywho, y'all have a fine Thursday :D

HeavenlyFrostings Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 3:27pm
post #26 of 27

Simple put, THANK YOU, Shannycakers :) your kind words meant a whole lot. At least, someone actually read the whole thread hahah! You just made my day and I'm ready to face today on a positive note x) Thank you, thank you and the best of everything to you and your fam :D ~ much humbled...

jason_kraft Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 4:40pm
post #27 of 27

AOP, my apologies for assuming that you did not have a commercial kitchen...typically that information is included on a business's web site, but it was not mentioned on yours, and the address on your Yelp page is a single family home. Feel free to PM me for contact information so you can proceed with your libel suit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%