Urgent, Mom Wants Drum Cake Sitting On Its Side

Decorating By Brendabeeper Updated 8 Sep 2013 , 2:09am by Brendabeeper

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 7:35am
post #1 of 6

Mom wants a round drum cake that sits on its side with two smaller drums on the side,   I wouldnt dream of transporting a cake like that on its side.  but question how would I set the cake up on its side there?  SHe is wanting buttercream cake also.   

Just dont see this working?  any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated, wants this for this weekend

5 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 7:53am
post #2 of 6

AI would make the bottom half of the drum in styrofoam with a strong cake board on top screwed into the base board right through the foam. Then assemble the top half of the drum on top of that. That should be strong enough to transport in my opinion :-)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendabeeper 

Mom wants a round drum cake that sits on its side...

Without "bookends" holding layers together, you can't stand a cake on its side -- it has to be built from the bottom up in layers (or gravity will win).  Because it's rounded with no support and can't sit flat, the bottom half should be made with styrofoam.

shorn0099 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shorn0099 Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 6

I need to know the same thing for a cake drum set im doing! Please let me know what you did im driving myself insane trying to figure it out lol

MeghanKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeghanKelly Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 6

That sounds like a complicated cake for three day's notice, IMO.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 8 Sep 2013 , 2:09am
post #6 of 6

Thank you everyone for your help,  I have to say  that I should have said no to even trying the stand up drum.  I need to know my limits.   I wanted a challenge and I tried... and FAILED.  I started at great,  I was happy it looked good, but the heat made the buttercream slide down  and the fondant deco on the front on the drum  started to slide bringing more butter cream down,  I removed the deco, refrosted, and was going to put the deco back on at the last minute but this stand up drum was doomed.  One hour before hand I removed icing, flipped it back on its side,  * added the cut out portions to help it stand back to the cakes and made this a flat laying drum.     I didnt even get a cell phone photo in the rush,  and arrived 15 minutes after the party started.   I so wanted to thrown in the towel , throw it in the trash and go buy one for her.  I was able to pull off getting something presentable but not my norm and not what we both initially wanted,  

My friend was so patient, and nice,  I have to make this up to her someday.  

My advise .. Dont try it.  I did see somewhere where they did it with 1/2 the cake  ( and the bottom half  styrofoam)  

If I am ever crazy enough to try again that is what I would try.

Days like to day really make mu AWE over all those awesome cakes here

...think I need a cake break..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%