Did I Charge Right?

Decorating By cakeventure Updated 4 Sep 2013 , 9:30pm by therealmrsriley

cakeventure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeventure Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 6:01am
post #1 of 13

AHi all, this is my first post. I have to thank everyone here for providing invaluable information to all bakers out there. I am a hobby baker trying not to cut prices of professional bakers. Needed an opinion if I am on the right track. This my third fondant cake in my life. I charged $145 for it. Two tier chocolate ganache covered in fondant with strips/dots/bow/balls/ non edible stroller topper in fondant. It is 8" and 10".

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3093455/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

12 replies
jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 6:07am
post #2 of 13

I cant comment on the pricing, but just wanted to say that is a very cute cake!

cakeventure Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 6:09am
post #3 of 13

AThank you jennicake! Appreciate the encouragement.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 7:28am
post #4 of 13

ACute cake. I would have charged 456 USD.

If you still have the cake try taking a photo more from the side instead of looking down at it. The angle doesn't do the cake justice and it's hard to see the pram.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 9:43am
post #5 of 13

Gorgeous cake!!! :grin:

I don't usually do two tiers in those sizes (personal preference is for a smaller top tier) but going on those sizes with the decoration and pram, I'd probably charge around £175 -  £200 , which is approx $275 - $315

cakeventure Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 13

AI agree I should have taken front shots- seems to me I really undercharged the cake!

cakeventure Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 13

AThank you!!:) I think I didn't charge a lot on the labor- I didn't feel confident as its my third cake. But I need to reevaluate my pricing strategy!

cakeventure Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 13
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 13

AI would've charged $248 + topper. I'm in California. That is a very nicely done cake!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 13

I don't know your expenses or the typical pricing for your area.   You can't take our pricing and just apply it to your cakes.    My 8/10 before all the bells & whistles starts at $140.   I'm sure there are  people in bigger cities that have a base price much more then me.....little remote areas maybe less.    Figure out your costs & expenses...then maybe call around to see what other bakeries in your area would charge so that you are competitive...not undercutting them.    You did a fantastic job!!!

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakeventure 

Here is another picture:

Really beautiful cake!

cakeventure Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 9:21pm
post #12 of 13

AThank you all so much!!!!! You have no idea how much encouragement this is giving me in my skills and confidence to charge appropriately!!! :) I did call around bakeries and prices went upto $200 and more. My doubt in my skill set made me settle for less. But next time around I will hike up the price considerably. But thank you all again.

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 9:30pm
post #13 of 13

That is such a cute cake!! The only way to get that confidence up is to keep practicing. Whenever you find yourself with a little time, buy a couple cake dummies or bake up a couple cakes to practice with. You can also do free cakes for family/friends (or yourself) that allow you to try different techniques, etc. In no time, your confidence will be through the roof. You're on your way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%