Freezing Fully Decorated Fondant Cakes Questions

Decorating By whiteangel

whiteangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteangel Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 1

I have already read this thread

http://cakecentral.com/t/747425/how-to-freeze-already-decorated-cake-and-then-thaw

Going to start working on a cake for my daughter's Sweet 16 and need advice as I am such a newbie on many levels.

I want to bake soon, a 10" round and a 12" square.  Torte, fill, and crumb coat each and then bc.  I would to freeze this so they will be moist. 

I then want to cover in fondant and decorate (except for flowers) and then freeze each cake when finished.  I am slow and don't want to be rushed. 

Can someone kindly tell me in what order to do the freezing in?  You know the cake after baking and cooled completely - do I freeze then or wait until I have torted, filled, crumb coated and bc'ed?  Or what?

Then later when ready to put on the fondant and decorate it - there will be stenciling and scroll work - do I do this after the frozen cake is thawed or while it is still frozen.

Keep in mind I am a very slow decorator and it can take me a couple of hours to finish one cake layer.  Another one of the reasons that I am starting so early.  I want the completed decorated cakes in the freezer a few days before the party so that I can then focus on the party preps - what was going to be 50 teenagers is swelling to 100....give me strength, lol.  Daughter has bragged to all her church and school friends that her mom is a better decorator than Buddy...talk about pressure!!!

The party is on Saturday, Oct 5th.  Would I take the cake out of freezer on Friday morning to slowly thaw?  Not positive I will have the extra fridge as all the drinks will be in there for the party.  If it has to go in the fridge, how long in there before setting out to room temp? 

All flowers and gelatin bubbles (LED lights will be under the bubbles to look like stage lights) will be made waaay in advance and be put on just before the party after the staking is completed. 

I hope I made this clear on my questions.  I have frozen just plain cake levels before, no torting, filling, crumb coating nor bc iced.  I have never frozen a fondant covered cake but from looking at the above link, it works well when sealed well.

Thanks in advance, Angel

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%