How Do I Estimate How Many Cupcakes To Make?

Decorating By kanokie Updated 4 Sep 2013 , 3:34pm by carmijok

kanokie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kanokie Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 11:52am
post #1 of 8

AHelp! I am doing a vintage market for 3 days. The first two days are 8 hours long and the last is 5 hours. The expected amount of people is 5000-10, 000. Would 500 be enough or too little? Help!

7 replies
lunawhisper0013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lunawhisper0013 Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 8

AWell, since it is spanning several days, do you have the ability to make more if you run out? The first day there will probably give you a good idea of what kind of demand to expect for the duration.

kanokie Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 8

AIt would be difficult the first day because it is from 12-8 and the next is 9-6. I could definitely make more the second night. I also have two helpers so if I had to I could always leave ealry and make more for the next day if I got low.

lunawhisper0013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lunawhisper0013 Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 8

AWhere are you located? And how much are you charging per cupcake? Since a cupcake is a quick and easy treat, it would be more appealing in a fair setting provided it isn't too hot. If you make 500, you are estimating that 10% of the low end of you 5, 000-10, 000 people will buy a cupcake. Does that sound like what you are trying for sales wise? You should probably also look at it from the point of how much money you would like to make from this too, or if it's just a fun little thing you want to do and the money is just a good little bonus, then if you run out it wouldn't matter as much.

kanokie Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 8

AI am in Tulsa, Oklahoma and it has food trucks too but they don't have desserts. I am trying to estimate off of 10% because I am not sure how many will actually buy. I am charging $2.50 as the going rate at many cupcake places are $2.50-$2.75 and $2.50 is what I charge at the locations I sell at regularly. I willalso be selling canned pop and bottles of Gatorade. I can not sell water because a non profit is and they made it so no one can sell water but them.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 8

I'm from Tulsa too and am thinking about attending the Vintage Market.  Where will you be located?  If I decide to go I'd love to stop by and say hi to a fellow CC'er. 

I really don't have much to offer in the way of how many cupcakes you need to bake, but like others have said you can get an idea as to how many you  might need after the first day. 

Yes, I know the hours are different the first day but you can estimate it by adding up how many were sold during that time period and divide it by the number of hours you were there to get an  idea as to how many were sold per hour and figure out an amount from there.   It's not perfect, but after that first day, you'll have a lot better perspective on a lot of things.

Good luck!

kanokie Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 12:13pm
post #7 of 8

AThank you! It would be nice to meet a fellow cupcaker! Look for the hot pink cage type booth and large cupcake on top! Will definitely do estimating after the first day.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 8

A

Original message sent by kanokie

Thank you! It would be nice to meet a fellow cupcaker! Look for the hot pink cage type booth and large cupcake on top! Will definitely do estimating after the first day.

I actually was referring to Cake Central when I said fellow CC'er! :lol: I've done a few cupcakes but am mostly a hobby cake decorator. I'll look for the hot pink cage...it sounds cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%