How To Use Rice Crispy Treats For Molding?

Decorating By ChloeM11 Updated 4 Sep 2013 , 1:17am by cakeyouverymuch

ChloeM11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChloeM11 Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 4:30am
post #1 of 6

AI have heard a lot about using rice crispy treats to mold status and other large things on cakes, but when I tried this my rice crispy treats were to sticky and it didn't mold well, also when I tried covering it you could see all the lumps of the treats. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it!

5 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 5:18am
post #2 of 6

I've read that a lot of cakers like to use the pre-made RKT by Kellog's. You can use melted chocolate or modelling chocolate to fill in the cracks and smooth out the lumps from the rice crispies. Then cover in fondant.

ChloeM11 Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 10:38am
post #3 of 6

AThank you very much, I will have to give it another try!

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 11:16am
post #4 of 6

AExactly as Let's Get Caking stated, cover with melted choc, royal icing, etc. I prefer modeling chocolate because the seams blend easier.

I build up my characters or whatever I'm trying to sculpt, modeling chocolate then another layer or fondant if you prefer. Here's a link, towards the bottom is Angela's Doc McStuffin's cake. She shows the method I use, she has great visual step by step pictorials.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/

ChloeM11 Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 12:07am
post #5 of 6

AThanks this will help!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 1:17am
post #6 of 6

You might find this thread of some use:

http://cakecentral.com/t/755095/cereal-treats-crispy-treats#post_7437452

I have used the store bought RCT treats and find them a bit softer than the ones I make myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%