How Best To Stack This Cake?

Decorating By Rohini Updated 7 Sep 2013 , 7:19am by Rohini

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 9

Hi!

I'm planning on baking 4, 30 cm (12 inch) round cake layers, cutting them in the shape  shown in the picture and stacking them also as shown. So the bottom tier will have three cake layers and two layers of filling and the top tier will just have two cake layers with one layer of filling in between. I would like to stack the cakes as shown and cover the entire structure with buttercream and then fondant so it will look like one cake and not two different cakes....if you know what I mean :) I have never made this kind of a cake before and I have the following questions. I sincerely hope that the fantastic cake experts out there will be able to help me.

1. Do I need to use a support system?

2 (a). If I do need to use a support system will bubble straws do the job to help support the top tier?
   (b). Does the top tier need to stand on a cake board or not?
   (c). Do I need to have a dowel go through both tiers?

Thanks in advance! :)

8 replies
Rohini Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 9

Oh my goodness!! How do I get rid of these crazy advertisements??  I'm still waiting for a 'proper' answer regarding my questions!! :)

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 9

1. Do I need to use a support system? Yes

2 (a). If I do need to use a support system will bubble straws do the job to help support the top tier? It will do.
   (b). Does the top tier need to stand on a cake board or not? Yes.
   (c). Do I need to have a dowel go through both tiers? Don't need to but you can.

Rohini Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 7:15am
post #4 of 9

Thanks a lot for your reply thecakewitch.....very much appreciated! Have a great day :)

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 9:02am
post #5 of 9

AI agree with thecakewitch.

Rohini Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldiernurse 

I agree with thecakewitch.

Thank you so much for your reply too!

Rohini Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 9

...Oh and my post regarding the advertisements was because I had loads of replies from someone trying to sell Tiffany stuff and wedding clothes :) 14 replies in all I think with loads of links....but then they all disappeared...thanks probably to the site administrator :)

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 9

AI am wondering if I understand what you are planning correctly. Are you going to stack the tiers and then cover the whole thing with fondant afterwards? If so, wouldn't that make it difficult to serve? Maybe I am missing something.

Rohini Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 7:19am
post #9 of 9

Hi!

You're not missing anything as you wish :) and thank you so much for pointing this out. I did think of the serving issue too but then I thought as it is for a family birthday and we will be cutting the cake and serving it ourselves it won't be too much of a problem.

I want the whole cake to look seamless hence the idea of covering the stacked cake with fondant. But as you've pointed out that it might be messy cutting and serving (and as the thought had also crossed my mind)  I'm going to rethink and see if I can achieve what I want by having two separate tiers instead. You're most welcome to give me any other suggestions if you think of any. Thanks so much again for your input. Really appreciate it!

On a side note, this is my very first thread.....and it's rather exciting :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%