Will Pastry Cream Filling In A Cake Make It Soggy?

Decorating By CakeIstryByRhea Updated 3 Sep 2013 , 2:04pm by LipstickBaker

CakeIstryByRhea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeIstryByRhea Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone!

I have a vanilla bean cake cooling right now and I am pretty sure I overbaked it so it will be dry.  I was thinking that maybe if I use a pastry cream filling and vanilla buttercream frosting  it would combat the dry texture BUT I am concerned that the pastry cream may actually make the cake soggy....  Should I maybe do a thin layer of buttercream against the cake as a barrier or will that taste funny?

The vanilla bean cake is a lighter spongier cake - not dense.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

:)  Rhea

5 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 6

if the cake was for me & my family at home, I'd keep it, slather it in creamy stuff & eat it.

However if the cake was for someone else & I knew that I had 'overbaked' it.....I would make them another properly baked cake. I don't sell cakes for a business, but why give a poor quality gift.

CakeIstryByRhea Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 6

the cake is just for us - so would you recommend placing a thin layer of buttercream before adding the pastry cream?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 6

no. ps: your avatar cake is lovely.

CakeIstryByRhea Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 6

:)  Thank you!  So - I ended up filling with the pastry cream but the family was not thrilled - they said it wasn't "typical" for me,.... haha... the cake was waaaaay too dry and the pastry cream didn't help.

LipstickBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LipstickBaker Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 6

if you ever want to fill a cake with any type of fruit, mousse, or cream, i always brush the bottom of each layer with white candy coating (or chocolate depending on the cake) it adds flavor and keeps the cake from going soggy! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%