If Client Doesn't Want Buttercream, What Is Your "go To?"

Baking By happycakesbysarah Updated 4 Sep 2013 , 2:59am by happycakesbysarah

happycakesbysarah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happycakesbysarah Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 14

My client likes chocolate but has requested "just not buttercream."  My first thoughts are ganache or maybe a whipped cream frosting.  It's for a wedding so it will be sitting out for a bit.  Any other ideas or thoughts?  Thanks.

13 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 14

AWhy not buttercream? Perhaps a sample of your BC would change the customer's mind.

happycakesbysarah Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 14

I thought about that but I was trying not to fight it and think of something else.  Any other suggestions?

CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 14

Cream cheese frosting? (although it's half buttercream (for stability), half cream cheese with a drop of vanilla). Tastes super yum!

ericapraga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericapraga Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 14

I would do whipped ganache. People can't tell the difference between my whipped ganache and chocolate buttercreams (although I can!). I use the whipped ganache when I need more stability, I find it holds together better.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 14

Whipped chocolate ganache - rich, chocolately, great mouthfeel.

ashby1983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashby1983 Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 2:12am
post #7 of 14

AI'm am wondering how you make whipped ganache?

ericapraga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericapraga Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 2:28am
post #8 of 14

Make ganache the regular way, and then whip the crap out of it. Really, super simple.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:14am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericapraga 

Make ganache the regular way, and then whip the crap out of it. Really, super simple.

What she said.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:22am
post #10 of 14

AMaybe the customer is used to the super sweet ABC, if your comfortable making IMBC or SMBC you could let them sample that as Jason suggested, a lot of my new customers are amazed that BC doesn't have to be super sweet (no offence to ABC, or anyone that uses it) and a sample of ganache.

I love working with ganache. You said the cake will be sitting out for a while, will it be outside? Are you covering it with fondant too?

BAKEDbyTristan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BAKEDbyTristan Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 4:11am
post #11 of 14

PASTRY CREAM!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 12:12pm
post #12 of 14

That's pretty much how you make whipped ganache.

However, if your ganache sets up really hard, you can cut back on the chocolate a little.  For whipped ganache, I like to use equal parts of whipped cream and semisweet chips by volume.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 12:50pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckinney07 

Maybe the customer is used to the super sweet ABC, if your comfortable making IMBC or SMBC you could let them sample that as Jason suggested, a lot of my new customers are amazed that BC doesn't have to be super sweet (no offence to ABC, or anyone that uses it) and a sample of ganache.

I love working with ganache. You said the cake will be sitting out for a while, will it be outside? Are you covering it with fondant too?

I agree.   When I have cake tastings I always offer a sampling of standard buttercream (the confectioners sugar and vegetable shortening kind - what is sometimes called wedding cake frosting) as well as SMBC.   Without fail, every bride chooses the SMBC and are amazed at how light it is compared to the heavier traditional BC.  I'm in the very rural South and SMBC was generally unheard of ...everyone just relied on their maw maw's old fashioned kind.   I use Rose Levy's recipe for Mousseline and find that the next day it's even better as the ingredients meld....and yes, it has a few ounces of liquor as a finish....after all we are the heartland of bootleggers.

Now if the bride is dead set against any form of BC, then I suggest a fluffy  fosting - similar to the fillings on Hostess cupcakes (RIP)....it works on regular cakes too and seems to meet taste standards for those who don't like old fashioned BC.  I posted the recipe here    http://cakecentral.com/a/best-fluffy-simple-frosting-ever 

happycakesbysarah Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 2:59am
post #14 of 14

Thanks so much for all the suggestions.  I am going to share with her all the different ideas and see if one of them sounds like what she wants :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%