Friday Night Cake Club 8/30/13

Decorating By catlharper Updated 5 Sep 2013 , 8:59pm by auntginn

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 9:42pm
post #31 of 62

AI just finished the cake I started last night. I'm so pleased with the result. It's for a wedding shower. The MOB sent me an inspiration photo with a red dress and red pearl edges and cornelli lace. I made a dress that looks more like a Sari and tried my hand at a mehndi pattern. I should have used royal because the IMBC was melting so fast in last nights heat that the lines aren't as sharp or thin as a wanted, but overall I'm pleased. I'm really trying to up my skill set.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 10:13pm
post #32 of 62

Pictures! Pictures!!

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 10:41pm
post #33 of 62

OOPs!!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 11:03pm
post #34 of 62

AElla, that's gorgeous!!!!

Love the gold, love the piping!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 12:42am
post #35 of 62

This is my purple ombre rose cake.  The little girl's mother wanted something simple, so this is my idea of simple.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 1:29am
post #36 of 62

Ella Great cake!

Norasmom, very nice job.  Simple you say, lol

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 6:50pm
post #37 of 62

Here is the photo of the cake at the party!

Zebra striped marble cake filled with chocolate brownie buttercream and vanilla buttercream and covered in MMF and candy pearls.

You can see the party blog photos at: http://thecherryontopevents.blogspot.com

See ya'll Friday!

BatterUpCake Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 7:36pm
post #38 of 62

Here's my finished product. They chose the color scheme. Wish I had used a different color for the board. Just came back from delivering it to a restaurant. Got 2 more orders from it for a big rig and for a graduation cake (I thought that was all done with?) and 3 others asked for my card. I'm not 100% happy with it but for my first shoe I'm pretty satisfied. Even my daughter approved and she usually just says everything is ok...but now it is time for "cake eyes" to look it over. lol

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3093048/a/3398035/my-first-shoe-client-requested-these-colors-but-i-wish-i-had-used-a-different-color-on-my-board/

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 7:56pm
post #39 of 62

Here's a pic of the birthday cake I did for Sunday :

A three-tier birthday cake with sugarpaste roses and filler flowers cascading down the side.

I'll need to practise working with ganache under the fondant as it is a lot harder to smooth, and my roses need practise.  But at least the birthday girl was overjoyed by it :-)

BatterUpCake Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 8:00pm
post #40 of 62

I think your roses are very pretty

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 8:11pm
post #41 of 62

AI made the bottom tier for DH to take to work today - chocolate filled with Nutella. I added the top dummy and wedding dipped strawberries for my website. I just used toll house morsels since it was on hand, and boy was the collar soft! Real chocolate next time.

http://sweetbydesigncakes.weebly.com/uploads/1/4/0/9/14090896/1226898_orig.jpg

BatterUpCake Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 8:16pm
post #42 of 62

Oh wow, Marmel..that looks tasty. I love chocolate covered berries

melmar02 Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 8:20pm
post #43 of 62

AThanks! I'm trying to expand the wedding section of my site. I have a few wedding style dummies planned.

Lizzie - your roses look lovely. I timed myself a couple weeks ago, and I can only get 6 buds (5 open petals) done in an hour. I need to work on flowers desperately!

melmar02 Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 8:41pm
post #44 of 62

ACat - I love your doll cake. Did you carve or use a pan? I'm doing one for my daughter's 5th birthday in a couple weeks. I measured a little over 7 inches from foot to waist on one of her dolls, so yours was probably closer to 8" with the ballet shoes. I guess I'll call this my first doll and barrel cake! I'm open to any pointers or tips!

BatterUpCake Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 8:45pm
post #45 of 62

Great blog Cat...the whole party was super cute

catlharper Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 10:11pm
post #46 of 62

Batterup! LOVE the shoe!!! How totally cute! And, thanx..it was a fun party and Jilly was overjoyed at all the Barbie and zebra stuff! LOL!

Lizzie, that cake is beautiful. I have never tried the ganache under fondant but that was my thought...that it would be hard to smooth over ganache.

Melmar...I'm in trouble now...my husband walked by as I was looking at your cake and now HE wants one like it! LOL! He LOVES choco covered berries so he's over the moon at the thought. SIGH. LOL Oh, and you can read all about the cake here: http://catscakesblog.blogspot.com  it's a combo of pan and carving.

Cat

catlharper Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 11:42pm
post #47 of 62

Question for all of you...does anyone in the US have a gumpaste sleeping on it's tummy baby mold? I need just one baby for a cake coming up in late October and I really really don't want to spend the money for a mold I will probably never use again. I don't need the baby colored, can do that myself, but am willing to pay for the molded gumpaste piece. 

thanx!

Cat

BatterUpCake Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 11:49pm
post #48 of 62

if not you may be able to find one on www.etsy.com

catlharper Posted 3 Sep 2013 , 11:58pm
post #49 of 62

I did see a couple of sellers there with undecorated babies for $5. So I could use one of them. Was just hoping to find someone I "know" and can trust to actually send it to me. Thank you for the idea and an alternative solution!

Cat

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 12:07am
post #50 of 62

I have one.  I've only used it a couple of times but I think I did a pretty good job making the figure.  I'd be happy to do one for you if you're still interested.  PM me if you are!

Here's the most recent baby...it's on my 'baby jungle cake' in my photos.

daryll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daryll Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 1:26am
post #51 of 62

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok 

I have one.  I've only used it a couple of times but I think I did a pretty good job making the figure.  I'd be happy to do one for you if you're still interested.  PM me if you are!

Love the hat and cute animal print nappy!!

catlharper Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 2:47am
post #52 of 62

That baby is SOOO cute! I, too, love love love the hat! Adorable!

Mine is going to be a little Hawaiian baby...luau girl. This is why I don't need any costuming. Thank you so much for helping. 

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 4:12am
post #53 of 62

Quote:

That is the cutest ever. :)

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 3:26pm
post #54 of 62

AThanks! I love the hat too, but it was a bear making it. :-)

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 6:45pm
post #55 of 62
Quote:

Thanks! I love the hat too, but it was a bear making it. icon_smile.gif 
Your bear works with gumpaste? I didn't realize they had such good eye-hand coordination :wink:
melmar02 Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 7:11pm
post #56 of 62

A

Original message sent by MimiFix

Oh wow! I just had a spit soda at the screen moment!

KarenK55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenK55 Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 7:40pm
post #57 of 62

Everyone your designs, cakes and presentations are beautiful. 

niniel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niniel1 Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 7:42pm
post #58 of 62

Love the jungle baby. That is just too cute! 

The cakes on here are amazing!

ashleyjoyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyjoyk Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 8:16pm
post #59 of 62

I'm a bit late to the party lol but here are the 2 cakes I did this last weekend - it was a big switch going from the wedding cake to zombie :)

4 tier buttercream wedding cake with handmade starfish and seashells

Zombie girl cake made in likeness of customer for the death of her 20's (she is turning 30) - covered in modeling chocolate and painted with piping gel blood   Inside is red velvet cake with strawberry filing so when it was cut into it was all red and oozed red filling :)

BatterUpCake Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 9:04pm
post #60 of 62

You did a great job with the zombie but I don't know if I could eat it! lol The wedding cake on the other hand...that I would eat!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%