Oscars Party Cake

Decorating By suzyqqq27 Updated 7 Mar 2005 , 2:14pm by sweetbaker

suzyqqq27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyqqq27 Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 6:30am
post #1 of 28

Hi all,

I finished the Oscars Party cake and it went over really well at the party. Thanks to those that helped me with my "butter" question. I ended up using a mixture of warm water, yellow food colouring and corn syrup...I think that was Mrs. Missey's suggestion. It stayed wet looking...very cool.

Anyway...here it is:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=52&pos=0

or

www.cakesbysuzanne.com (if you look at my site...please remember that I'm dealing in Canadian dollars and not U.S.)

I hope you like it,
Suzanne M.

27 replies
apromisekept Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apromisekept Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 9:17am
post #2 of 28

Did you use cake release or cooking spray to remove it from the flower pot? Did you have to take alot off the top to put the popcorn on? teddybearmom icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 28

your oscar cake turned out fantastic! Pat yourself on the back!

suzyqqq27 Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 28

I used cake release and it turned out of the pot just fine but the pot really sucked the moisture out of the cake...I lined the bottom with foil and then parchment paper because there was a hole in the bottom and that seemed to work great. If I did it again, I would line the whole thing with parchment or wax paper and then cover that with cake release.

As for removing the top...I didn't. I left the dome that raised in the centre, covered it with a thin layer of icing and stuck the "popcorn" to that...that gave it a natural mounded look. That way, it looks like there is much more then there actually is.

Thanks for the nice comment flayvurdfun.

Hope this was helpful,
Suzanne M.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 28

Your cakes turned out terrific!!! Gald to have been of some help!! icon_biggrin.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 28

Your cake is awesome!! It looks so realistic. thumbs_up.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 28

Wow, wonderful job, how cute was that cake!
I didn't follow the posts on this one, but I take it you made the cake in a clay flower pot? I don't bake cakes in clay, but I do have clay bakers that I cook in and you actually soak them in cold water for about 1 hour or so. So I am thinking tat maybe if you have to use a clay pot again, that soaking it first would help with the moisture loss?
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 28

Great cake! I want to know how you made the pop-corn!

Debbie

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 28

wow! that is awesome, so realistic. great job!

suzyqqq27 Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 28

Thanks all for the great comments.

As for soaking the pot, great idea...I will definitely give that a try if I ever bake anything in there again!

The popcorn was made out of fondant. I rolled little balls and then using my second smallest flower cutter from the Wilton set, (can't remember it's actual name but comes with green plastic cutters and a book on making gumpaste flowers) I rolled out fondant and cut the flowers out. I shaped the flowers with a ball tool and then inserted them with the pointy tool into the balls. I got the technique from another member here and at Wilton...Cakereations...thanks by the way!

Mrs. Missey suggested the butter technique when I was stumped and it worked out beautifully.

Thanks again,
Suzanne M.

thecakemaker Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 28

Great! Thank you! Everyone here is so helpful!

Debbie

apromisekept Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 9:24pm
post #12 of 28

Thanks, for all the tips . I am going to try this one for my bucket of chicken cake. I wanted to use a flowerpot , but I was kind of worried about if clay pots contained lead. I have to travel about 25 miles to carry the cake and I'm not sure if I want to decorate it there or at home. Thanks so much! I hope I can do this , I'm so nervous.Your cake is awesome! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

thecakemaker Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 9:31pm
post #13 of 28

You can do it! I baked my cake in a flower pot too and it turned out fine. You can see the cake here

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&member_id=1731&cat=0&pos=1

i hope the link works - anyway it's in the gallery here. it's the bushel of crabs cake.

Debbie

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 9:36pm
post #14 of 28

I was just stopping in to see how you did that popcorn. It looked so real! Great cake! Thanks for sharing the technique.

BTW...A bushel of crabs, a bucket or popcorn...the talent here is amazing! I'm always learnin' something.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 9:38pm
post #15 of 28

What a crabby cake, I just love it and can see why it would win!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

thecakemaker Posted 1 Mar 2005 , 9:40pm
post #16 of 28

Thank you! And the link worked too! icon_lol.gif

suzyqqq27 Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 4:32am
post #17 of 28

Debbie,

Great cake! I love it. Did you mold all those crabs by hand or did you use cutters?

Very well done,
Suzanne M.

thecakemaker Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 1:24pm
post #18 of 28

thank you! i molded them. if i do the cake again i will use crab cookies! they will be easier and more edible. i can't imagine biting into a fondant crab.

Debbie

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 3:14pm
post #19 of 28

Suzanne, superb job on the oscars cake!! How did you make the reel for the film? Is it also cake?

Debbie, I'm from Maryland too and I love that bushel of crabs cake!! Outstanding!

Elaine

thecakemaker Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 3:17pm
post #20 of 28

Thank you! Were are you from?

Debbie

sweetbaker Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 3:20pm
post #21 of 28

Debbie, I live in Rockville.

thecakemaker Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 3:25pm
post #22 of 28

That's great! Finally another Marylander! We'll have to KIT!

Debbie

suzyqqq27 Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 6:39pm
post #23 of 28

Elaine,

The film reel was rolled fondant. I rolled it out to 1/4" thickness and cut out a 5" circle using the lid of a tin I own. I then cut the outside holes with the large end of a #6B tip and the inside holes using the large end of a small tip. I let them dry on powdered sugar over night and then painted them with a lustre dust / clear vanilla combination. I only painted one side. I let them dry overnight again. The film in the middle was a chocolate plaque made in the bottom of a clean cashew tin and the film strip was dyed rolled fondant. I cut out a strip the same width as the chocolate and then punched tiny holes along each side with the small end of tip #3. I used the leftover dyed brown fondant to make a little brick 1x1x2" to hold up the reel. I attached the film reel to the chocolate and to the stand using melted chocolate.

As it turns out, a guest at the party liked the fondant popcorn so much that he ate the little brown stand that the reel was sitting on when he found out it was made of the same material...he got 3/4 of the way through and then felt a little ill. Imagine eating that much fondant....YUCK! I can't stand the stuff. I make my own and it tastes better than Wilton's but not by too much. I find it sickeningly sweet.

Hope this helps,
Suzanne M.

apromisekept Posted 2 Mar 2005 , 11:06pm
post #24 of 28

I was wondering where did you purchase the flowerpot? teddybearmom icon_smile.gif

suzyqqq27 Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 7:40am
post #25 of 28

I got it at Wal-Mart for $3.50 CAD.

apromisekept Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 10:12am
post #26 of 28

Thanks once again. So the pots must be safe. Sorry for all the questions, but when you stacked the popcorn, did you have problems with it being too heavy on top? Did you assemble the popcorn fondant at the last minute? I am worried about it crashing the top layer . teddybearmom

suzyqqq27 Posted 3 Mar 2005 , 6:44pm
post #27 of 28

There really isn't that much popcorn on there. I left the dome alone when the cake was done...didn't press it down...didn't level it off. Then I put a thin layer of buttercream on it and pressed the popcorn into it...it looks like it is a pile because of the cake's natural dome.

Suzanne M.

sweetbaker Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 2:14pm
post #28 of 28

Ok Debbie. What area are you in?

Thanks Suzanne.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%