Where Do You Buy Your Ingredients From?

Decorating By AgBaker Updated 12 Sep 2013 , 1:33pm by kikiandkyle

AgBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgBaker Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 16

Hello all,

I am in the process of trying out recipes (on my family) and need to find a place to buy my ingredients from.  I figured walmart might be the cheapest, but a small bag of walnuts there is almost $6!icon_surprised.gif

I am obviously not making any money out of my trials and would like to find out where do you all get your raw material from?  I understand that trying out recipes is a costly affair, but every penny saved would go towards my future home bakery.  TIA!!

15 replies
Nauz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nauz Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 16

AI always purchase from Walmart.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 16

AWhen I am not purchasing wholesale, i shop at Walmart, Costco, Sam's Club, Cash & Carry, etc.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 16

ARestaurant Depot, Costco, Target, Whole Foods, and assorted online retailers (including Amazon.com). I do my best to avoid Walmart at all costs.

AgBaker Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 16

A@jason-kraft: why do you avoid shopping at Walmart? Is it just a personal preference or do you find something wrong with their product?

MeghanKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeghanKelly Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 16

Restaurant Depot & Costco.  I'm just a hobby baker, but I went ahead and purchased 50# of flour/sugar/ p.sugar because I knew I would be making a lot, and they're really great prices for bulk ingredients. 

jason_kraft Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 16

A

Original message sent by AgBaker

@jason-kraft: why do you avoid shopping at Walmart? Is it just a personal preference or do you find something wrong with their product?

I've gotten a few PMs asking about this, here is my response:

Every time I've gone to a Walmart it's been dirty with a confusing layout, virtually no customer service available on the floor, not enough parking, and long checkout lines. The prices and product assortment are similar to Target, so there's really no reason for us to go to Walmart unless they happen to carry an item that I can't get from Target or Amazon (which is rare). There are three Walmarts and two Targets within 5 miles of us, we go to Target once or twice a week on average and Walmart once every few months or so.

I don't have a problem with Walmart in principle...I understand that there is a large market of customers for whom price is the only concern, even if the difference is only pennies.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 16

Wholesale clubs such as Cosco for things like milk, sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla.  The supermarket for mixes and sour cream (when on sale they're $1.25/box).  I make the WASC recipe.  

For supplies, I shop around.  Ebay, Amazon and Global Sugar art are great.  I also like to go to Michael's and ACMoore with my coupons.

jason_kraft Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 16

A

Original message sent by MeghanKelly

Restaurant Depot & Costco.  I'm just a hobby baker, but I went ahead and purchased 50# of flour/sugar/ p.sugar because I knew I would be making a lot, and they're really great prices for bulk ingredients. 

The bulk price for cake flour in particular is significantly cheaper than smaller packages. At the grocery store you can find 2# packages of cake flour for $4 ($2/pound), while 50# bags of cake flour at RD are ~$15 (30¢/pound). Even if you throw out 75% of the 50# bag you are still coming out ahead.

ShaunaNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShaunaNicole Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

The bulk price for cake flour in particular is significantly cheaper than smaller packages. At the grocery store you can find 2# packages of cake flour for $4 ($2/pound), while 50# bags of cake flour at RD are ~$15 (30¢/pound). Even if you throw out 75% of the 50# bag you are still coming out ahead.

Thanks for this specific example, Jason.  I just joined BakeMark and am looking into Restaurant Depot, and I'm wondering what the savings will be over Target and Costco.  Haven't placed my first order yet.  I'm a pretty stealthy shopper, so I usually don't pay full price for anything, so I'm hoping these suppliers (with their huge, somewhat inconvenient boxes) will still save me some money!  

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 7:56pm
post #11 of 16

ARestaurant depot, BJ's, Amazon, and I am finally big enough for Gourmet Foods International.

AgBaker Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 12:33pm
post #12 of 16

ARestaurant Depot is for ppl with businesses. I guess its not open to public. I do not have a business, but have been practising a lot (almost daily) and was hoping to find a cheaper source for buying raw ingredients. I will have to look at Costco and Sams.

BrandisBaked Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 12:40pm
post #13 of 16

ASams is great if you are wanting to practice decorating instead of your baking. They sell pre-made cake layers and buckets of buttercream.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 1:26pm
post #14 of 16

AI go to both Sams and Costco. I buy most of my cake supplies at Sams because they have a better selection for those items. I buy lemon extract, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, baking powder etc there. I can't get most of it at Costco.

I shop at Costco for personal groceries because I prefer their selection for everything else.

I also try to never shop at Walmart. It is never cheaper than any of the grocery stores or Target, and they carry a poor selection in my experience, mostly off name brands that are more expensive than the store brand at my local grocery store which I am more inclined to trust. The only times I've shopped there was when I had no other options, and the service was just appalling. If I could avoid going to Sams I would, for the same reason that their service is just abysmal, and the place is always dirty.

BrandisBaked Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 1:29pm
post #15 of 16

AI think Wal-Mart's selection varies by area. I have a super-Wal-Mart near me which is the best selection and prices for groceries around.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 1:33pm
post #16 of 16

AI walked in the one by my new house the other day to grab a quick snack and the lines were so long at the one checkout that was open that I walked right back out. I didn't even get to check the prices or selection!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%