Can I Whip Dark Chocolate Ganache Made With Coconut Milk?

Baking By KLCCrafts Updated 17 Sep 2013 , 6:32am by Cher2309b

KLCCrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KLCCrafts Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 4:26am
post #1 of 10

I need a lactose free ganache, so I subbed Coconut Milk (Imperial Dragon brand) 1 for 1 for the normal dairy cream in my ganache recipe.  Now I'm thinking it might be nice to whip it, but I don't want to ruin it.  Has anyone done this successfully? 

9 replies
Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 4:31am
post #2 of 10

I've never tried it, but I do know some people scoop out the creamy part of a can of coconut cream and whip it. I guess it's one of those things  you'd have to try and if it works - great! If not, you make another batch. 

KLCCrafts Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 4:39am
post #3 of 10

Yes, actually I've whipped the plain cream before.  I wanted to make the ganache using just the cream and not the unseparated milk but I couldn't get this brand of milk to separate (via chilling the can).  So I used the milk, which is part of the reason I'm unsure whipping will work.  Anyone tried it using the coconut milk?  Or even using just the coconut cream so I know for next time?  Thanks.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 6:01am
post #4 of 10

ACould you try whipping only part of your ganache?

KLCCrafts Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the reply -- I guess I'll have to try it and report back how it went.  Wish me luck icon_smile.gif

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylawaylalayla 
Could you try whipping only part of your ganache?

kaylawaylalayla:  that type of thinking probably made you a profitable baker/decorator. Waste not..want not..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadiaa 
........I guess it's one of those things  you'd have to try and if it works .....

Nadiaa: good advice.  I was picturing something that tasted like an almond joy candy bar.  Hope it works!

Nadiaa Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 10

Please let us know how it goes! If it works it's a good option for those who request dairy free cakes (provided they like coconut, of course!). And, as long as you use dairy free dark chocolate. 

KLCCrafts Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 10

OK I tried whipping it, while at room temp and from a peanut butter consistency, but it didn't work.  It only got very slightly lighter in color and maybe a little looser (probably from the mixer heating it up) but definitely not fluffy.  Next time I'll try with only the coconut cream as I think using the coconut milk is a problem. 

The good news is I didn't ruin it by attempting to whip it, it's still smooth and delicious. It only has a slight coconut taste, not like it's intentionally coconut flavored or anything.  For the record, I used a 2:1 dark chocolate/coconut milk ratio. 

Nadiaa Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 12:16am
post #9 of 10

Thanks KLCCrafts for experimenting :) It's good to know. 

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 6:32am
post #10 of 10

I've been experimenting with coconut cream ganache. I used 100g dark Lindt (70% cocoa) chocolate and 70g coconut cream. It was thick, bitter, dull and somewhat rough in texture. I stirred in 2 tablespoons of glucose syrup, which made it smooth and shiny. Tasted better - still a dark chocolate flavour but not bitter. Still quite thick. I'm eager to see how it will be tomorrow, after a night at room temperature. I haven't tried coconut milk.

I'm keen to hear other results and ideas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%