Help!!!!! Smbc Dilemma!

Decorating By Nadiaa Updated 27 Aug 2013 , 5:29am by Nadiaa

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 3:56am
post #1 of 24

AI'm making my first ever batch of SMBC. I'm following FromScratchSF's recipe and it was all going well until now. I whipped my meringue till it was stiff and the bowl was cool, added my butter and it never turned to soup. It never looked curdled, it just looks smooth, silky and yellow. I just tasted it and it tastes like buttery egg. I know I've done something horribly wrong, but don't know what :( Any advice? I really wanted to get this right!

23 replies
Nadiaa Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 3:59am
post #2 of 24

And I should add I haven't added any flavouring to it yet. I was going to add cocoa powder to make chocolate SMBC, but think I'll have to chuck this lot and start again. 

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:06am
post #3 of 24

AI don't think you did it wrong. It's buttery lol. Add about 2 tbsp of vanilla to it see if that makes it better

Nadiaa Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:08am
post #4 of 24

But isn't it meant to go through the curdly soup stage? 

morganchampagne Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:08am
post #5 of 24

AIn fact, it didn't ever curdle means you did it perfect the first time. I've had a rare batches that just come together magically

morganchampagne Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:08am
post #6 of 24

AHow's the consistency? Frosting like?

Nadiaa Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:14am
post #7 of 24

OMG, I just added the cocoa to it and it doesn't taste eggy at all anymore and it is like the silkiest mousse I've ever tasted. It doesn't fall off the paddles on the mixer, it just stays in these super soft peaks. Does that sound right? 

Nadiaa Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:22am
post #8 of 24

And I've just piped the dreamiest chocolate swirls on my cupcakes and it held up beautifully. It's so soft it doesn't look like it should hold shape at all. I *think* I got it right.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 5:08am
post #9 of 24

sounds perfect!

Nadiaa Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 5:31am
post #10 of 24

Yay!!! I am so happy :) I'll have to see what hubby thinks of it when he gets home. I can't believe how silky it is!

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 5:32am
post #11 of 24

lol I dont think this is the first time that someone has made a perfect batch of SMBC and got worried that something went wrong.  Good job!  :)

Nadiaa Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 5:39am
post #12 of 24

I have to say I am relieved. I was studying the pictures in the tutorial like a crazy woman, then running back to my mixer and freaking out because it didn't look the same! It didn't even occur to me I might have done it perfectly the first time. I did a big happy dance around my kitchen when morganchampagne said I'd done it right. It has just topped off my whole day! It did seem kind of wrong putting it on banana cupcakes though. I purposely put too much banana in them so I could use up my ripe bananas (the kids like it a bit denser with extra banana) and now I have substandard cake with my wonderful SMBC!! Lol!! Lucky I have extra though, so I'll make a half batch of my fluffy vanilla cuppies in the morning and use the rest on those.

Do I just sit the SMBC out to come back to room temp before piping? Will I need to mix it again?

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 5:41am
post #13 of 24

yup let it come to room temperature first.  That part is important.  You shouldn't need to mix it again though... at least, I've never had to.

Nadiaa Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 5:47am
post #14 of 24

Awesome. Thanks so much jennicake!!! 

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 6:05am
post #15 of 24

Glad you had success!  It doesn't happen often, but you can get a quick emulsion when the butter and meringue are the same temperature.  It will come right together in a mater of moments.  Yes, it seems like it's too soft but it's not.  People complain of the buttery taste but you need to add a lot of flavoring to it.  2 tsp. of regular vanilla would not be enough - you need to add 2 tablespoons of vanilla bean paste.  That will knock your socks off on how yummy it is.  And as for the buttery taste, nobody ever complains about ho "buttery" butter tastes when they spread it on toast or their pancakes!  LOL You really have to taste SMBC on cake (or a cupcake) to fully appreciate it.

If you are using it tomorrow, I'd just leave it on the counter covered with plastic.  I wouldn't bother refrigerating it.  

Welcome to the SMBC club :D

Nadiaa Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 6:55am
post #16 of 24

Thankyou :) Yes, it came together almost immediately. That made me suspicious, lol! I had run out of vanilla, so added the cocoa instead, and I added a good amount and just sifted it straight into the SMBC. You're right, the flavour difference is amazing! I really didn't like it before I added any flavouring, but absolutely love it now. I'll get some more vanilla paste tomorrow and make another batch. I've taken the rest of the chocolate one out of the fridge and am leaving it on the bench overnight. It will be interesting to see if it's too hot up here or not to do that. Hopefully it will be fine. 

Thanks so much for such a beautiful recipe! Your tutorial was fantastic.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 12:55pm
post #17 of 24

I find that it does need to be remixed after defrosting/ coming to room temp/ or just sitting out a few hours.  You can tell because it will look, spongier and not so silky smooth if it needs to be remixed.  It can be remixed by hand, although I use the mixer if I am adding additional flavorings so it is thoroughly distributed.  

scwright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scwright Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 1:35pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by yortma 

I find that it does need to be remixed after defrosting/ coming to room temp/ or just sitting out a few hours.  You can tell because it will look, spongier and not so silky smooth if it needs to be remixed.  It can be remixed by hand, although I use the mixer if I am adding additional flavorings so it is thoroughly distributed.  

yup, what she said!

ellavanilla Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 5:20pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadiaa 

Thankyou :) Yes, it came together almost immediately. That made me suspicious, lol! I had run out of vanilla, so added the cocoa instead, and I added a good amount and just sifted it straight into the SMBC. You're right, the flavour difference is amazing! I really didn't like it before I added any flavouring, but absolutely love it now. I'll get some more vanilla paste tomorrow and make another batch. I've taken the rest of the chocolate one out of the fridge and am leaving it on the bench overnight. It will be interesting to see if it's too hot up here or not to do that. Hopefully it will be fine. 

Thanks so much for such a beautiful recipe! Your tutorial was fantastic.

can the cocoa method be used for an IMBC too? I hate melting chocolate. I can't seem to find the tutorial. CAn someone link me? Jennifer?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 9:01pm
post #20 of 24

You can do all the same stuff to IMBC that you do to SMBC.  I have never actually just added cocoa, I normally just melt chocolate but if it worked for OP, it'll work for you :D

ellavanilla Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 9:27pm
post #21 of 24

OK! I just might try adding cocoa and seeing what happens. I love the dark color it adds to fondant.

Nadiaa Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 9:41pm
post #22 of 24

I sometimes find adding melted choc to things a bit too rich. I do like how the SMBC tastes with the cocoa, although I mostly chose it because I thought it would suit my kids a bit better. I'm glad I did, because it tastes really, really good! I just sifted a couple of heaped tablespoons straight into the mixer bowl once the SMBC had come together.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 4:35am
post #23 of 24

AMix hot coffee and cocoa (I like Hershey's extra dark) until you have a thick very smooth mix about the consistency of heavy cream or sour cream. Let cool and add into smbc or IMBC. Super good and easy!

Nadiaa Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 5:29am
post #24 of 24

Well I ended up leaving my container of SMBC in the fridge overnight because it started softening up in a  matter of minutes and it's really hot here. I took it out this morning and within an hour it had completely come back to room temp and I didn't need to mix it at all. It was smooth and silky so I just put it in a piping bag and piped away! Taste and texture is exactly as when I first made it  yesterday. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%