Help W Cupcakes

Baking By Jennacakes13 Updated 26 Aug 2013 , 11:59am by Jennacakes13

Jennacakes13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennacakes13 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 7

AI'm a newbie to CC....love this site, referred by a fellow baker. :) anyways. I made a batch of cupcakes, recipe by Bakerella, choc peanut butter cupcakes, cause they looked so stinkin good. Well I made em, got em to room temp. And iced em...well I made them Saturday for today's dinner, so I put them in a cake carrier, figuring it would keep em from drying out. Well this morning they are sticky and the icing was getting soft....any suggestions??

6 replies
BakerBee7468 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBee7468 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 7

Peanut butter gets really oily and starts to separate in warm temperatures. i don't know the conditions of where you are but also since you put them in a cake carrier where there is no air flow, that's another reason why they're sticky.  If you live in a humid area you may also have to adjust your recipe to reflect that. A few options you could try for next time, if you want to make the cupcakes in advance you can do that and then store them unfrosted in an airtight container. you can make the frosting in advance and store it in the fridge covered and then frost the cupcakes just before you need them. you could also bake and frost them and then store the cupcakes in the fridge till needed then let them come to room temperature before eating.

Carabella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carabella Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 7

AHi! I never store my cakes or cupcakes in airtight containers as I find that always happens. I always store in cupcake boxes out of the fridge. The cardboard absorbs any moisture. It's always worked for me ( many years! ) and I'm in Australia and its extremely humid here. As long as they have papers on them and the tops are iced, they shouldn't dry out.

Jennacakes13 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:04am
post #4 of 7

AThanks to the both of you. Ill take all your tips and use em. Yes I live in South Georgia, so it's hot and humid most of the year. Lol thanks again!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:15am
post #5 of 7

cupcakes frosted with American ButterCream & small fondant decorations.....sealed up tight in a plastic CC carrier....the next day the fondant had melted !  no more long term storage in there. It is neither hot nor humid in Alaska, so it must just be the nature of the beast....it needs air.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:45am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabella 

Hi! I never store my cakes or cupcakes in airtight containers as I find that always happens. I always store in cupcake boxes out of the fridge. The cardboard absorbs any moisture. It's always worked for me ( many years! ) and I'm in Australia and its extremely humid here. As long as they have papers on them and the tops are iced, they shouldn't dry out.

Putting them in the fridge will dry them out, putting them in a plastic storage container with the lid snapped on will make them sticky. I also store them in cardboard cake boxes, wrap the box with saran wrap and let them sit on the counter. 

Jennacakes13 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 11:59am
post #7 of 7

AThanks for the tips! I appreciate it! Ill have to def try the box!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%