Make Fondant Look Like It Is Singed/ Burning

Decorating By myjarofhearts Updated 26 Aug 2013 , 3:23am by kakeladi

myjarofhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myjarofhearts Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 2

i could really do with your advice please urgently! I have an order for this weekend for an a3 cake (white) with an edible image on top (a4 image) its someones work rota. they are a retiring fireman so the customer wants the image to look like it is burning and singed. I have no idea how i can create this effect!I have the ondant image printed and readyto go but have no idea what to do? was thinking of tearing around the edges and a hole in the middle and sprraying the edges black and brown but i really cant see how this will look 'good'? this is a first order of many from this customer so id like to keep her happy! please help pleaseeeeee!!

the rota itself is quite dark a lot of it is black!

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 3:23am
post #2 of 2

I don't understand much of you explination of what the picture is but my guess would be to use an airbrush to lightly color the edges.  Start with the darkest/heaviest spray at the evey edge and lighten as you go in.  You probably are going to experiment on a scrap of fondant to see how it comes out.

Lacking an airbrush try powdered food coloring.  Many well stocked supply shops carry it.  Get some brown, and as you want it to lighten up farther from the edges, mix in some cornstarch.

Can;'t get your hands on powdered color?  Only guessing you might be aboe to water down (mix w/something like Vodka) paste color until you get it light enough and paint it one.  This won't give the best look but if that's you only choise you probably can use a *very* light hand on the (art) paint brush

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%