Just Looking For Some Opinions...

Decorating By morganchampagne Updated 26 Aug 2013 , 3:13pm by BatterUpCake

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 2:20am
post #1 of 24

AHey y'all! So I'm just looking for some opinions...

I currently have a pro line 5 qt KA mixer which I love. I have two bowls for this mixer, which makes things very convenient. Business is doing well, and I'm wondering about getting another mixer. However I'm having trouble imagining in my mind how that would work? If that makes sense...

I'm wondering if maybe it's better to just buy more bowls? What do you guys think? If you have to mixers, I wonder if you wouldn't kind explain your production schedule with it? How you manage it...just trying to see how beneficial it would be.

23 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 2:35am
post #2 of 24

marganchampagne;  Just a hobby baker here, but it's a hobby that I enjoy. There are 2 mixers on my counter, a KA-7 qt. & a KA-5 qt. like yours, and a hand KA mixer in the drawer.

Everything small, light weight, & half batches in the 5.

Big batches, breads, & heavy batters in the 7.  (Also the 7 will also work with my old 6 qt. bowl/beaters.)

If you can afford it - go for it.  If not - be prudent and save for the day that you may afford it.  Cheers.

morganchampagne Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 2:40am
post #3 of 24

AYeah..I've got a little stash lol. Trying to upgrade my equipment, invest in some other things you know? I'm strongly considering it.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 24

AOk, I have the exact same set as MBAlaska. I really like having the different sizes.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 24

I, too, have both a 5 qt and 7 qt plus a hand mixer. The larger size bowl in invaluable. 

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 24

I just have 1 5.3 qt mixer. I wish I had the money and storage space for a second one as I have had 2 different recipes going at once. I couldn't afford the KA when I first started so I bought this one brand new off of Ebay for $70...What a deal! It has been great. It has a very powerful 650W motor. If they had a bigger one I would have gotten that. http://www.food.com/recipe/no-cook-7-minute-frosting-107841

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 24

I have 3 KAs- 4.5, 6, and 7 quart.  I use  the 7 quart far more often than the others.  If you are hoping/planning to do some serious baking, at some point you will want to start doubling your recipes to fill the larger pans, or to fill and bake more pans at a time. (I am an avid non pro and can't comment on the bigger indistrial sizes, because I am now at the limit of oven/refrig/freezer capacity).   My doubles barely fit in the 6 quart, but are perfect in the 7.  I also like to make double or triple batches of SMBC (10 or 15 whites)  and that will not fit in anything but the 7.   My DH gave me the 7 as a gift, and I wasn't sure I would even use it. But, I love it, and if it broke today, I would go out and buy another.  HTH

morganchampagne Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 24

AThanks everybody!! I'm going to start looking into the KA 7 qt mixer. When I first got one years ago I came thisclose to getting the 7 qt, but I really couldn't see my way to using it. Business being what it is now, it's looking as though I can finally start with the larger orders...which I've been holding off on until I felt ready

BatterUpCake Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 24

Happy shopping!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 1:02am
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

I just have 1 5.3 qt mixer. I wish I had the money and storage space for a second one as I have had 2 different recipes going at once. I couldn't afford the KA when I first started so I bought this one brand new off of Ebay for $70...What a deal! It has been great. It has a very powerful 650W motor. If they had a bigger one I would have gotten that. http://www.food.com/recipe/no-cook-7-minute-frosting-107841

What is the brand of mixer that you bought off eBay? (that link just goes to instructions for frosting)

Thanks.

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 1:15am
post #11 of 24

oops...got my links mixed up. It was a Dr Tech 7 in 1. They have it on Amazon for $240 normally $399...but this guy on Ebay sells them real cheap....must have "fell off a truck" lol. No really, I don't know what his deal is but he has tons of feedback and mine came without the ice cream bowl and he actually sent it to me. I was surprised. It is no KA...but it is worth way more than what I paid. And hopefully it will last me for a long time while I save up for a 7 qt KA. This is the guy...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dr-Tech-6-in-1-Multi-Functional-Stand-Mixer-Blender-Grinder-Citrus-Juicer-More-/400556068735?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item5d43008f7f But I think it is worth the price on AMazon too

morganchampagne Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:29am
post #12 of 24

ALmao at "fell off of a truck" you'd be surprised at the major amounts of kitchen aids that fall off all these trucks. I will not get my name or brand tied up with that foolishness lol!! Thank you for the link..so question.

Having a kitchen aid and that mixer as a SECOND mixer, what would you personally take? I don't make breads or anything that's terribly tough on a mixer.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:37am
post #13 of 24

I just got a refurbished 7 quart Kitchenaid Pro (same motor as commercial model) and I really like it so far.  I can make about 8 lbs of cookie dough in it at a time.  I think it was $359 or $379 with a coupon code on Kitchenaid.com.

Liz

morganchampagne Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:38am
post #14 of 24

ALiz, is that the only mixer you have or do you have an assembly line of sorts?

liz at sugar Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:42am
post #15 of 24

Sorry, I have KA Artisan 5 quarts also - it is nice to have a smaller capacity for small batches of various items.

Liz

morganchampagne Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:45am
post #16 of 24

AOk, so Im gathering i should definitely get a larger mixer, not two of the same.

Also, is the 7 qt mixer considered "commercial" ? under my cottage food law we are not to allowed to have commercial equipment

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:48am
post #17 of 24

I was looking at a refurbished KA 7 qt mixer today (candy apple red -- swoon). Anyway, Kitchenaid markets their 7 quart mixer as the largest "residential" mixer. 

morganchampagne Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:52am
post #18 of 24

AAwesome! So yeah I'm thinking that's what I'm going to get...

Six, do you have multiple mixers as well?

Liz, thanks for the price and the tip about the coupon! That's definitely in my range, I've saved quite a bit, looking to really invest, bump up to the next level so to speak.

liz at sugar Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:52am
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

I was looking at a refurbished KA 7 qt mixer today (candy apple red -- swoon). Anyway, Kitchenaid markets their 7 quart mixer as the largest "residential" mixer. 

Yes, this is the one I got.  The only differences between the 7 quart Pro's and the 7 quart Commercial models are that the Pro's come in 4 colors, and the Commercial has an orange commercial cord and is NSF rated.

The internal parts are identical.

Liz

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:57am
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

Awesome! So yeah I'm thinking that's what I'm going to get...

Six, do you have multiple mixers as well?

Liz, thanks for the price and the tip about the coupon! That's definitely in my range, I've saved quite a bit, looking to really invest, bump up to the next level so to speak.

Soon, very soon I will have multiple mixers!! icon_lol.gif I currently have a smaller 4.5 qt KA - It's way too small, so I've been looking at the refurbished models. I love the 7 qt red one - thanks liz at sugar for the info on the difference between the pro and commercial - I was wondering what the difference was!

I also want cake stands - lots and lots of cake stands...and an Agbay...

morganchampagne Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 3:04am
post #21 of 24

AI feel you on the cake stands lol!! I'm trying not to get too many, the agbay you will love! I fought with that Wilton one for about a year then I just did it with a knife. I'm really looking forward to getting a larger mixer, or at least another one! It's definitely time. I've always been curious as to how others have managed having two

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 10:47am
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

Lmao at "fell off of a truck" you'd be surprised at the major amounts of kitchen aids that fall off all these trucks. I will not get my name or brand tied up with that foolishness lol!! Thank you for the link..so question.
LOL...I was joking about the fell off the truck part. ost of the ones he sells are priced close to Amazon but occasionally he will throw one out starting at $.99. I just gotreally lucky

Having a kitchen aid and that mixer as a SECOND mixer, what would you personally take? I don't make breads or anything that's terribly tough on a mixer. Not sure I understand

LOL...I was joking about the fell off the truck part. ost of the ones he sells are priced close to Amazon but occasionally he will throw one out starting at $.99. I just got really lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

I also want cake stands - lots and lots of cake stands...and an Agbay...I love cake stands...my home is overflowing with cake stands! lol

morganchampagne Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:58pm
post #23 of 24

ASorry, I was just wondering if you could choose between that one and a KA which one would you choose, keeping in mind I don't make large batches of breads, or things that don't really work you mixer. I saw in one of your earlier posts though that you said you'd rather the KA!

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 3:12pm
post #24 of 24

Oh if I had the money at the time I would have purchased the KA based solely on the reputation. This one has been totally reliable but not having had any issues I cannot speak as to what it would take to get it fixed, etc.... Given that $$ were not an issue I would still go with the KA, but at the time it was. I just posted my experience for anyone who may be a home baker (non pro) or just starting out at baking and not have the money for a KA and wanted to see if baking is something they would stick to. That being said I would not have paid over $200 for it from Amazon (not that it did not turn out to be worth it, but solely because if I was going to spend that kind of $$ I would have just saved more and got the KA) But being that I was able to get a deal for $70 I am very pleased with my choice. I keep trying to get my daughter to get a Hobart for the restaurant but she says she doesn't need anything that big thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%