Isomalt And Sugarveil Mat

Decorating By yumkat Updated 25 Aug 2013 , 6:30pm by yumkat

yumkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yumkat Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 5

AHello everyone! I was just wondering if someone has ever tried to pour and spread isomalt on a sugarveil mat and if the results were good? Please note I haven't used isomalt or sugarveil yet...cheers! :grin:

4 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 5

I have not done it, but first you would need to check the sugarveil mat can withstand the high temperature of molten isomalt. You would also need some kind of warming lamp I think, so you can get the isomalt off the mat without it hardening. I don't really think it would work though since the isomalt would be really fragile when spread so thin and it would harden up in seconds...

yumkat Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 6:07am
post #3 of 5

Thank you Dayti; your reply is totally full of good sense and good points.

My aim was to make some sort of butterfly wings but no way it'd work icon_lol.gif!!

I saw that some butterfly wings mats aimed at being used with isomalt are available; I just wondered if I could somehow avoid the cost as cake is just a hobby for me. I might just use it very occasionaly...

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumkat 

Thank you Dayti; your reply is totally full of good sense and good points.

My aim was to make some sort of butterfly wings but no way it'd work icon_lol.gif!!

I saw that some butterfly wings mats aimed at being used with isomalt are available; I just wondered if I could somehow avoid the cost as cake is just a hobby for me. I might just use it very occasionaly...

I would buy the mold for isomalt and try. The good thing is you could probably also use it for making gumpaste and chocolate wings too. You'll just have to make lots of cakes and cupcakes with butterflies on from now on, to make it worth your while! I bet the wings would be really pretty in isomalt though. 

yumkat Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 5

oh I didnt realised you were in Spain! see, these mats for isomalt seem to be only available in the us, and so far I haven't found them in Europe (pretty much zero chance to get them in France). I'm going to keep looking, otherwise price plus shipping would be close to 90 $ I guess...maybe I wait for xmas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%