Fondant Painting - How Far In Advance?

Decorating By Mrs Goose Updated 24 Aug 2013 , 9:29pm by CatherineM

Mrs Goose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs Goose Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, newbie here needing advice please

I am going to be painting a design on fondant on a traditional (fruit cake and marzipan) 3 tier wedding cake using Sugarflair Paste Gels (+ Vodka). 

Question is, I need to know how far in advance it is OK to do the painting.  Are the Sugarflair colours stable?  i.e. Will they bleed into the white fondant background if they are left for too long?  I was hoping to do the painting a good 10 days in advance of the wedding, as I'm really busy, but I'm worried now about colours bleeding - I've painted on fondant before, but never this far in advance of the cakes being eaten.  Is there any sort of 'fixing' spray I could use?  I don't want to put the cake in its box looking lovely and open it up 10 days later looking a mess!  Any help please?

Thanks!

4 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 5

AForget the painting, how will the cake survive 10 days? Are you freezing it?

Mrs Goose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs Goose Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 5

Hi - they will be heavy dark fruit cakes, full of alcohol, like Christmas cakes - they'll last for weeks! ;)

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 5

AOh my goodness . My apologies. I was thinking if our US sponge cakes.

I use airbrush colors to paint. The most recent wedding cake in my gallery is hand paints. I'm over 10 days with no problem but cakes are dummies.

CatherineM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineM Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 5

I think you should be fine painting 10 days in advance.  Assuming your fondant had dried out a bit before you start, and that you're using alcohol to thin the Sugarflair pastes, they should be stable for ages.  I've done test paintings on sheets of rolled out fondant that have remained unchanged for weeks at a time.  The only problem might be humidity - it's necessary to keep them in a dry environment.  So a cardboard cake box rather than an airtight tin would be in order.   I'd also let them dry overnight before boxing them.

Some colours are slightly more prone to fading than others - I believe purple is notorious - but if you keep the cakes in relative darkness they should be fine. 

I've not done zillions of painted cakes, so if anyone else can corroborate that would be good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%