Friday Night Cake Club For 8/23/13

Decorating By catlharper Updated 29 Aug 2013 , 7:33pm by BatterUpCake

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:08pm
post #61 of 91

Yay!! great success!! Can't believe how fast it dried this way! Thanks for all of the help and encouragement. I can't wait to paint it...

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:19pm
post #62 of 91

Tdove: The whole mustache thing started with a Prostate Cancer Awareness program. The whole mustache thing was supposed to be like the pink ribbon for Breast Cancer Awareness. They used catchy phrases and jokes like "I mustache you a question...but I'm shaving it for later"..and a lot of other puns so it really caught on. I did a baby *** reveal party where you had either red lips or mustaches to pick between...whatever you are guessing is the *** to the baby. So it's now taken on a life of it's own.  BTW...your cakes are wonderful but I love love love the guitar cake and cupcakes!!! SO cute!

Cat, That is great info! I had no idea. It is a good symbol for that, I'm afraid it is losing the real meaning though. I hope more people know the true roots! It make me feel much better about the craze. I'm seeing it for everything from bachelor parties to baby showers.

Thanks! I had a ball making the rock star themed party sweets, it has been my favorite project thus far. 

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:23pm
post #63 of 91

Yeah Batter Up!!!  Isn't it fun when all that we go thru in the name of a beautiful cake.  I like the mask already.  And... that cake base is to die for..  Did you say you can only make 2 right now?

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:25pm
post #64 of 91

AAwesome job on the mask. Can't wait to see it painted.

auntginn Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:25pm
post #65 of 91

Another question Batter Up, are those the claws feet that cost you so much?

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:29pm
post #66 of 91

LOL...NO WAY!!! Still waiting on those....That stand is going to be natural wood. Let me post a pic of those

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 4:35pm
post #67 of 91

I love that claw foot!  Your cake stands are awesome!

BatterUpCake Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 5:04pm
post #68 of 91

FOr some reason multi quote is not functioning at the moment..

TdLove...years ago at my daughters very elegant wedding (I think it was before the cancer campaign) the servers walked around with trays of 5 different styles of mustaches at the reception. It was so funny. The kids were wearing them. Some people used them for eyebrows and sideburns. What a hoot! This is my daughterand I have her permission to use the photo which I took BTW...

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 85

Auntgin.....I'm not sure what you mean by make 2? I am referring all questions concerning my stands to my website due to a recent CC suspension. Please see my signature below

And for the compliments thanks to all.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 7:17pm
post #69 of 91

Such charming cakes, ladies and thank you for the compliments!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchocolate 

I can't imagine that looking better in person. I think it looks great and caught my eye when I was looking at the galleries new photos. 

I do understand what you mean though.  I am no photographer, and recently we have had so much rain and cloudy days, I can't get good natural sunlight to take good pictures. Therefore, my colors don't look true.

Thanks so much! I love your lollipops. They are so much nicer than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

Cazza, when I saw your cake I thought "Why in the world would she put a real picture frame on a cake?" that is AMAZING!!

Howsweet, when I was a teen the Evil Dead scared the pants off of me. I was afraid to take the shortcut thru some trees to my house...and if I did all of my friends would stand there and in a sing-song voice say "we're gonna get you" from the original movie. Thanks for allowing me to relive that! lol. Your cake may be one of my favorites to date!

Holy cow! Thanks!  I wish I had known to ask you what to include. The person who delivered told me there should have been some blood.

howsweet Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 7:17pm
post #70 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

Yay!! great success!! Can't believe how fast it dried this way! Thanks for all of the help and encouragement. I can't wait to paint it...

Well done!

BatterUpCake Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 7:22pm
post #71 of 91

Thanks....the plan I had for the cake has been set aside. I got a call for "diva" cupcakes and display so the mask is being used for that. I painted it black with Wilton but for some reason it looks kind of green???? I love when a customer gives me free artistic license AND doesn't ask what it is going to cost. Then when I told her she said yeah whatever....she is a regular icon_biggrin.gif

BatterUpCake Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 7:25pm
post #72 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 

Such charming cakes, ladies and thank you for the compliments!!

Thanks so much! I love your lollipops. They are so much nicer than mine.

Holy cow! Thanks!  I wish I had known to ask you what to include. The person who delivered told me there should have been some blood.

And a tree with the branches grabbing her...ewwww. super creepy!!

KarenK55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenK55 Posted 27 Aug 2013 , 7:47pm
post #73 of 91

Did you use a press/mold for the ballerina cupcake toppers? 

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:13am
post #74 of 91

Batterup - the mask turned out beautifully!!! Did you end up molding it to the inside or outside of the real mask? (Just so I know which way worked that well, I may try it someday) :)

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:23am
post #75 of 91

Well, it took 3 trials to get what I wanted. Trial one was inside the mask with a lot of shortening to keep it from sticking. This actually caused it to stick more. Trail 2 was on the outside but I still used shortening and CS....still stuck and woud not dry due to no airflow getting under the mask....trail 3 I left the one that was trying to dry on the mold and put a butt-ton of CS on there then laid more GP over it and trimmed. Put it under a heat lamp and it was dry within hours. Very happy with the results. In the process of decorating it now. Thank you for your comments!

Nadiaa Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:29am
post #76 of 91

I can't wait to see the finished product! 

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 12:33am
post #77 of 91

I have a love/hate relationship with the notifications for this board. I don't get anything and then finally get a notice that something is going on here and I return to find LOTS of posts. One one hand that seriously irritates me, on the other I love having lots to read! LOL!

So..BatterUp! LOVE the mask. Glad it finally worked out. I had a similar issue with the bag this week. I just couldn't get the strips to dry! Can't wait to see your mask all painted up!  LOVE the claw feet too! The photo of your daughters wedding is hysterical. Mostly due to the expression on their faces!

Ginn....you said it hon. What we do for our cakes! LOL!

SO happy to see some updates!

Cat

dg1248 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg1248 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 2:01am
post #78 of 91

AI have a rather stupid question. I searched but couldn't find a good answer. I'm making chocolate ganache. I've boiled and mixed and have a bowl of beautiful ooey gooey chocolates goodness. Now my question. I keep reading that it has to "set". Do I let it set in the fridge or at room temp? I don't plan on using it till tomorrow night for a cake that's due Thursday.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 2:08am
post #79 of 91

A

Original message sent by dg1248

I have a rather stupid question. I searched but couldn't find a good answer. I'm making chocolate ganache. I've boiled and mixed and have a bowl of beautiful ooey gooey chocolates goodness. Now my question. I keep reading that it has to "set". Do I let it set in the fridge or at room temp? I don't plan on using it till tomorrow night for a cake that's due Thursday.

You always let it set at room temp, once its set you can put it in the fridge if you like, but its shelf stable.

dg1248 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg1248 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 2:12am
post #80 of 91

A

Original message sent by scrumdiddlycakes

You always let it set at room temp, once its set you can put it in the fridge if you like, but its shelf stable.

Thank you! I'll let it sit for a bit then throw it in the fridge until tomorrow. Thanks a bunch!!

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 2:21am
post #81 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenK55 

Did you use a press/mold for the ballerina cupcake toppers? 

Yes, it is one of the first impressions ballerina molds. I just cut the rest of the body off. 

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 3:14pm
post #82 of 91

Thanks for all your help with the ruffles.  I will never do another one over buttercream though.  Had to do the top tier 3 times.  The bottom one was over ganache.  Turned out ok and bride was happy.  I had intended on taking it off the board and putting it on the stand directly, but I was just a wreck and just left it. 

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 3:23pm
post #83 of 91

Kblickster...I was SO wondering if you had survived...glad to see that you did and that the cake turned out to be just gorgeous! I can NOT imagine doing ruffles over buttercream would ever be a good thing. The only time I have done them was over a thin layer of fondant that was already on the cake. Unfortunately, in this business, we are being constantly forced to learn hard lessons. UGH. I have cakes where I felt like I got off "easy" and cakes where I knew I was losing money by the handfuls because of how long or how difficult they turned out to be. So I totally feel for you! However, the upside is that it IS a gorgeous cake and one (tho' I'm sure you are sick of looking at it) will look amazing in your portfolio!

Hope the next week brings you a "nothin' but a breeze" cake to make up for this one!

Cat

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 3:40pm
post #84 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblickster 

Thanks for all your help with the ruffles.  I will never do another one over buttercream though.  Had to do the top tier 3 times.  The bottom one was over ganache.  Turned out ok and bride was happy.  I had intended on taking it off the board and putting it on the stand directly, but I was just a wreck and just left it. 

It's beautiful

howsweet Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 3:48pm
post #85 of 91

Beautiful!

auntginn Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 7:39pm
post #86 of 91

kblickster what an awesome cake.  I must have missed all those post the first time around lol I had to go back and read them.  I didn't know that about the ruffle cakes either.  Sheesh, glad i haven't had a call for one just yet.  

Still learning!

KarenK55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenK55 Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 9:34pm
post #87 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdovewings 

Yes, it is one of the first impressions ballerina molds. I just cut the rest of the body off. 

Thank you Tdovewings.  My nieces are in a dance company and they do alot of competitions with their troupe, so I thought I would bring in some when they have their fall festival at the studio.  pretty cool stuff going on in the cake decorating world.  I am just amazed of all the artists & designers on CC.  Really encouraging

Nadiaa Posted 28 Aug 2013 , 9:46pm
post #88 of 91

Oh wow kblickster, that cake is just gorgeous! Would you normally do the ruffles over ganache? 

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 12:20pm
post #89 of 91

I guess there is some confusion since I started seeking help for this ruffle cake on Friday night.  I intended to ganache/fondant both the top and bottom tier, but DH dropped my bowl of ganache before I could get the top tier done and I didn't have any backup.  So I iced the top tier in buttercream "before" covering in fondant, let the cake sit about six hours and then proceeded to apply the ruffles.  Apparently the buttercream was to soft under the fondant and the weight pulled on the fondant covering causing it to tear.  I pulled it off, stiffened up my buttercream and iced it with just a small amount of buttercream.  I also pulled a backup cake out of the freezer at this point and started all over just in case I had a problem.  I did have problems - probably because I didn't let the fondant dry long enough.  Thank goodness I had a backup and barely enough time to let it dry.

3rd time was the charm.  The 10" tier which was ganache/fondant didn't have any issues.

My advise for doing this cake would be to use ganache/fondant and make sure the fondant has a chance to dry well before applying the ruffles. 

This is not a difficult cake.  A little time consuming but not hard.  Do not be afraid.

auntginn Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 7:09pm
post #90 of 91

Yes, I do remember your post at the beginning on Fri night having the problems.  I also forgot about it when you commented later, lol  Sorry you had such a hard time but glad it all worked out in the end.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%