Friday Night Cake Club For 8/23/13

Decorating By catlharper Updated 29 Aug 2013 , 7:33pm by BatterUpCake

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 2:53am
post #1 of 91

Opening up another session of the FNCC! This is a place for anyone who wants to share their week, photos of their work, help out someone who needs help or ask for help if it's needed! Everyone is welcome!

Cat

90 replies
catlharper Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 2:54am
post #2 of 91

Hi Everyone!

I have but one cake this week and it's not due till Sunday so it's already filled and crumbcoated and waiting for decorating tomorrow. Other than that I'm just doing laundry! Hope to see lots of photos tonight!

Cat

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 3:15am
post #3 of 91

30th Wedding Anniversary Cake

Hi Everyone, this is the cake that I have been puddling over for the last 2 weeks.  It is for our 30th Wedding Anniversary next week.  I was really pleased with it.  Pity that I cracked the frame when I was shifting it on to the image.  People are having a hard time believing that it is all icing and cake!  And my how young we looked back then.

cazza1 Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 3:16am
post #4 of 91

Not to mention that we both had hair back then!

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 3:21am
post #5 of 91

AWOW! Cazza that is beautiful and I have to say I would never guess that it was cake. Congratulations on thirty years.

catlharper Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 3:25am
post #6 of 91

Wow! Cazza! That is just stunning! You would never ever guess that wasn't a real frame! VERY cool! Congrats on your anniversary too!

Cat

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 4:21am
post #7 of 91

Anyone still out there?  I have an emergency.  DH dropped my whole bowl of ganache this morning.  Not salvageable since it fell upside down on the floor.   (I know I should always have some frozen as a backup)  I have a wedding cake due tomorrow that is similar to Maggie Austin ruffle cake.  Just a 10-6 two tier.  I had already finished putting ganache on the bottom tier and I did not have anymore made, nor did I have anymore white chocolate.  I made the 6 inch tier with buttercream but it seems to be to much weight and is pulling/stretching the top of the fondant.  The cake had been sitting about 6 hours before I started putting the ruffles on.  Was that not long enough?  The fondant did appear to be dry.

Any suggestions?  I can pull the fondant off and give it another go in the morning, but don't want to waste my time if this isn't going to work with buttercream.

catlharper Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 4:34am
post #8 of 91

It actually sounds like the buttercream is the issue, not the fondant. If your buttercream is not stiff enough then it won't crust and give you a nice finish for your fondant to stick to. The fondant will just slide around on it. If it is too thick you also won't have a good surface and the fondant will also stretch. If your fondant is dry then I'm surprised it's moving at all and why I suspect it's the base you have it on, not the fondant. I would suggest removing the buttercream down to a thin crumbcoat, stiffen it up with more powdered sugar and then cover the cake JUST till you can not see the cake under the icing. Let it set up till it crusts up and then cover it with the fondant.

Good luck!

Cat

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 4:57am
post #9 of 91

Cazza, that is beautiful and unusual. What a gorgeous cake!

I don't have the photos sorted through yet - this looked better in person. I was glad to see her go off to her party. Not the kind of cake you want to pass on your way to a midnight snack!   She was for a horror movie enthusiast.

howsweet Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 5:04am
post #10 of 91

And still one more cake to finish... back to work.

catlharper Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 5:17am
post #11 of 91

Howsweet! That is downright AWESOME! Wow! Between you and Cazza I feel like an amateur! Seriously amazing work!

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 5:22am
post #12 of 91

Cazza and Howsweet- both of your cakes are fantastic!!!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 6:08am
post #13 of 91

ADANG!8O Howsweet your cake scared the pants off me. I TOTALLY was not ready for that. Great job! BUT DANG!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 6:11am
post #14 of 91

Good Evening everyone.  

Cazza, Congrats on your anniversary and Wowwie Kazawie.... that is some awesome cake.  I had to look 3 times to see if it really was.

Howsweet... That's an awesome job but creepy if you know what I mean.  Glad I'm not a guest at that party, rofl...

I only have a wedding order this week.  The WEdding Cake, The grooms cake and a Ribbon Pull cake for the bride.  The wedding cake a 3 tiered combo of square with 2 tiers round tiers.  The groom is a truck driver and want a replica of his truck.  And the ribbon pull cake well just an 8" round cake.

Little behind schedule as always so I'll check back with everyone later.  I'll post soon as I'm done.

howsweet Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 6:46am
post #15 of 91

Thanks y'all for the kind words. I'm going to bed.

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 7:04am
post #16 of 91

Thanks.  I firmed up my icing and it's crusting.  Will recover in the morning.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I agree that the icing was to soft.   

niniel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niniel1 Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 9:07am
post #17 of 91

I'd be too embarrassed to add any of my pictures to this thread. I am constantly blown away by the talent of people on here. 

Wow. Just wow!

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 9:51am
post #18 of 91

Hi Cat and everyone, 

Cazza , congratulations on 30 years together . The cake is absolutely beautiful , I am guessing it is fruit so you can gaze at it for a little while yet. 

Howsweet , I know it has been said already , but WOW . 

Well just one cake for me this week , ( paid one ) , but I am working on my entries for the Gold Coast Show. I have entered about six categories and and striving to get at least three completed. 

I have had oven issues so it is just as well I only had one cake , and I can't get a technician here until the 2nd of September . Luckily I had cleared next week for the show as I am a steward and will be there everyday. 

Here is the cake I did this week , it was a first birthday . The Mum loved it , so I am feeling pretty good about it after all the trauma I had actually baking it , I only finished it an hour before it was picked up , I hate being that disorganised , I had planned to have it finished last night so I could work on my own stuff today . Oh well things never do go as planned , at least I always have an extra day up my sleeve usually. 

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 10:35am
post #19 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 

Cazza, that is beautiful and unusual. What a gorgeous cake!

I don't have the photos sorted through yet - this looked better in person. I was glad to see her go off to her party. Not the kind of cake you want to pass on your way to a midnight snack!   She was for a horror movie enthusiast.

I can't imagine that looking better in person. I think it looks great and caught my eye when I was looking at the galleries new photos. 

I do understand what you mean though.  I am no photographer, and recently we have had so much rain and cloudy days, I can't get good natural sunlight to take good pictures. Therefore, my colors don't look true.

darkchocolate Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 10:40am
post #20 of 91

I am such a amateur decorator compared to all of you, but I do enjoy it. 

I loved this cake for the fun colors.  My favorite are the lollipops I made from MMF.

I had so much fun doing this bright and colorful birthday cake.  All the accents are made from MMF.  I love the lollipops and "wrapped candy".  The base of each cake is MMF gumdrops and the wrapped candy.

These lollipops are for a Candy Shoppe Theme cake I am doing in two weeks.  They are made with MMF and Tylose powder added.  I am so happy with the way they came out.

cazza1 Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 11:37am
post #21 of 91

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

How sweet I think your cake is amazing.  It is so fake-lifelike if you know what I mean.  How's that for an oxymoron.

Very cute Chelle and I hope the oven is fixed pronto.  I know what a problem oven is like.  I have been fighting with my new one and have finally discovered that when I set fan force that I do not want to set the temp 20degrees lower like you normally do or the cakes won't cook.

Niniel1 I for one would love to see your cakes on our Friday Night Forum.  It doesn't matter how new you are to it this forum is about sharing.  And you would be surprised about some things.  Whilst my cake looks spectacular (in my opinion) it is actually one of the easiest cakes I have ever made.  It would be perfectly achievable for a beginner.

Dark chocolate I love your fun colors and your lollies.  I am a sweettoothophile.

Looking forward to seeing some more pictures guys.

I won't see you for a couple of weeks as we are off to Margaret River for our anniversary.  Seven days at 2 Eco resorts with lots of fine dining.  Can't wait.

darkchocolate Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 1:16pm
post #22 of 91

cazza1,

Your cake is speechless.  It is so very realistic looking, I know you must be very proud of it.  Congratulations on 30 years!!

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 1:38pm
post #23 of 91

Cazza, when I saw your cake I thought "Why in the world would she put a real picture frame on a cake?" that is AMAZING!!

Howsweet, when I was a teen the Evil Dead scared the pants off of me. I was afraid to take the shortcut thru some trees to my house...and if I did all of my friends would stand there and in a sing-song voice say "we're gonna get you" from the original movie. Thanks for allowing me to relive that! lol. Your cake may be one of my favorites to date!

catlharper Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 5:48pm
post #24 of 91

I love coming back in here on Saturday morning and catching up on what I missed when I went to bed! 

Cazza, have just a lovely time on your trip! Sounds like a really wonderful way to spend time with your hubby celebrating! And I totally followed you on HOWSWEET's cake...it is perfect animation brought to cake! I'd be freaked out to have it in my house and I mean that as the biggest of compliments to HowSweet! LOL!

Chelle, that is adorable! I'm so sorry you are having oven issues...what a nightmare! Glad to hear you are set for the show but September 2nd???!!!! Oh my goodness I'd be in SUCH trouble. I, too, hate being so disorganized. I ran into an issue with the cake I'm working on and it's set me back about 6 hours. SIGH. It will all work out but I hate it when I hit big glitches!

Niniel1, please DO post photos! We were all beginners once and we still LOVE cake! So please do share any time you want.

DarkChocolate..my girls would be over the moon with those lolipops! They love it when MMF gets hard like candy! I made MMF Mickey Ears for a Sorcerer's hat last year and it was the first thing they wanted off the cake! LOL! Totally love the bright colors too. I need to force myself to use more bright colors in my work. I tend to stick to the naturals and not get too crazy but I think I NEED to get crazy. I have a baby shower cake coming up soon that is a Luau and I think I'm going to take a page from your book and go more bright and bold with the colors!

Kblicktser, hope it all works out for you! Please do post photos if you get a chance??

I'm off to get my morning coffee and deal with my other job as photographer. If anyone here is on Instagram my name there is shutterbugtraveler

I'll post photos later today once I get the cake finally done!

Cat

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 11:38pm
post #25 of 91

Love all the add ons, since last night.  We got so busy I didn't have time to come back.  It was another all niter but here are the pics  Well worth staying up.  

Wedding Cake *

Brides Ribbon pull Cake*

Groom's Cake.  *

I have to say I didn't think it was all going to come together, but they looked good.  Whew!!

darkchocolate Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 11:54pm
post #26 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn 

Brides Ribbon pull Cake*

What is a Brides Ribbon pull cake? I have never heard of that before.

BatterUpCake Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 12:02am
post #27 of 91

There are little trinkets attached to each ribbon and each means something...the bridesmaids pull the ribbons. I did this at my wedding... http://iloveswmag.com/2011/07/21/uncovering-southern-traditions-cake-pulls/

but mine were actually in my wedding cake

darkchocolate Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 12:11am
post #28 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 

There are little trinkets attached to each ribbon and each means something...the bridesmaids pull the ribbons. I did this at my wedding... http://iloveswmag.com/2011/07/21/uncovering-southern-traditions-cake-pulls/

but mine were actually in my wedding cake

Thanks BatterUp!  I am downloading the link now.

BatterUpCake Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 12:15am
post #29 of 91

very charming tradition and they could also be bridesmaids gifts if they are nice charms

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 12:44am
post #30 of 91

AEveryone does such amazing work.

Howsweet would give me nightmares, I just love it.

Darkchocolate your lollipops look real.

Auntginn your cakes are beautiful.

After looking at everyones I almost hatred to post mine. I don't do many wedding cakes this is my first one this year. I mainly do cakes for family birthdays.

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3085826/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%