Baby Blocks- Decorating Sides?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 24 Aug 2013 , 12:53pm by LoriMc

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 2:26am
post #1 of 5

I have to make these blocks for a shower on Sunday.  I'm making 6 (5") cakes, covered in buttercream with fondant only for decorations. 

I'm just stressing a little on fitting them onto a board and being able to decorate all sides of the blocks.  It's hard to say from the picture she gave me if they are decorated on all sides. 

Do you think it's a cop out if I don't put decorations on the sides that are in-between and can't be seen?

I've never done blocks before, so I'm not sure what is standard!

4 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 3:06am
post #2 of 5

Two things to think about.  Since they're individual blocks, the customer is probably planning on giving each guest one block so you probably need to do all sides because all sides will be seen when separated.  They look like they're covered in fondant so I'd put each block on a foamcore square and decorate all four sides then secure them to your board with doublesided tape.

LoriMc Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 3:32am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH 

Two things to think about.  Since they're individual blocks, the customer is probably planning on giving each guest one block so you probably need to do all sides because all sides will be seen when separated.  They look like they're covered in fondant so I'd put each block on a foamcore square and decorate all four sides then secure them to your board with doublesided tape.

Well, there's 40 people coming so they won't each be getting a square, ha.

I was thinking I would put each on an individual board.  More work for me, but I think it will help me in the end. 

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 5:53am
post #4 of 5

AI think the picture looks opposite of what you need to make, they're fondant covered with BC decorations. Either way I think individual boards would make things easier for you as well, that's what I would do. Did you ask your customer if she wants them boxed too? You could up sell a bit and make transporting them easier. Maybe she's having them as prizes or donations or simply a dessert bar so she is ordering less cake...does she realize she's not going to have enough cake for each guest? I guess it doesn't matter if she sent ythe picture and said I ant this, lol. I would use foam core as well for the boards.

LoriMc Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckinney07 

I think the picture looks opposite of what you need to make, they're fondant covered with BC decorations.
Either way I think individual boards would make things easier for you as well, that's what I would do. Did you ask your customer if she wants them boxed too? You could up sell a bit and make transporting them easier. Maybe she's having them as prizes or donations or simply a dessert bar so she is ordering less cake...does she realize she's not going to have enough cake for each guest? I guess it doesn't matter if she sent ythe picture and said I ant this, lol. I would use foam core as well for the boards.

By my calculations, she'll have 36 servings of cake.  She's having other desserts and she didn't think all 40 people would show up, so this is the size we agreed on.

She doesn't like fondant covered cake which is fine by me because I hate covering cakes with it.  I asked about separate cakeboards but she wants them all on one.   I'm just going to put separate boards under each and then someone stick them on the board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%