Decorative Cutting Of Fresh Fruit

Decorating By desfox13 Updated 11 Oct 2013 , 9:22pm by desfox13

desfox13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
desfox13 Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 15

What tool do you use to make those serrated kiwi and strawberries? I cannot picture how this is done. Please advise. Learning, thanks.

14 replies
kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 8:41am
post #2 of 15

AMy hubs says just a paring knife and some patience. (He's a professional chef, so I ask him these things).

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 8:51am
post #3 of 15

I'm sure there are 'how to's ' on Youtube

kaylawaylalayla Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 9:00am
post #4 of 15

AI've done something similar with oranges, but with smaller fruit I imagine it would be more difficult. You start while thw fruit is whole and make a zig zag all the way around and pull it apart. Good luck

desfox13 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 15

So, I'm getting that it's practice time, right? Not the answer I WANTED! lol Sorry, I am just so new to this that there are sooooo many things I still need to learn that I don't even know when I am asking stupid questions, lol. You're SURE there isn't some Magic tool that does this FOR me? Sry, now I'm just being a brat. Thank you all for answering. God bless

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 15

AIt's knife work, if you have good tools its not the hardest thing in the world. You'll want to do it on everything once you get started!

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 2:52am
post #7 of 15

There is a gadget for it, it is shaped like a v . The one I have has a melon baller at one end and the v at the other end, it does make life easier and quicker. check it out here http://www.chefdepot.net/channelknife.htm

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:01am
post #8 of 15

AWhen I was a kid I saw a mall demo for a set of these garnish tools and I thought it was the most amazing thing ever!

kaylawaylalayla Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:02am
post #9 of 15

AThe channel knife night get you the look of the strawberry, but definitely not the kiwi.

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:14am
post #10 of 15

This is what mine looks like, haven't tried it on strawberries.EASY_FRUIT_VEGETABLE_MELON_WATERMELON_BALLER_GARNISHING.jpg_350x350.jpg

kaylawaylalayla Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:17am
post #11 of 15

AOh! Well thats definitely not what I thought you were refering to! That looks great. That looks like it will give you the kiwis

kaylawaylalayla Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:19am
post #12 of 15
BAKEDbyTristan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BAKEDbyTristan Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 4:08am
post #13 of 15

you can buy a professional pumpkin carving set (I say "professional" but I really just mean anything better than the orange plastic handled ones that we all know and love from the Dollar Store!, as they won't have the specific tool needed).  It's a V-shaped double sided blade. You attack the fruit from the side, while still whole, and just line up the edges and repeat around the entire fruit.

You can TOTALLY do this with a pairing knife too, it will just take twice as long as the tool mentioned above has TWO blades whereas the pairing knife is just one.

*KEY* SHARP KNIVES FOR NICE CLEAN LINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

desfox13 Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 3:11pm
post #14 of 15

You gals and/or guys are SOOOOO sweet! Thank you so much for the time you took to send me all of the ideas and photos. You completely hooked me up on this topic. Thank you, thank you, thank you! <3

desfox13 Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 9:22pm
post #15 of 15

This is my first attempt. Thank you so very much for all of your help. I now have an entire set of these knives and am experimenting with them. They will make my tarteletas very special. My Quinceniera will love them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%