Can You Steam A Fondant Cake That Has Ganache Underneath?

Decorating By ihena81 Updated 2 Sep 2013 , 4:40am by BAKEDbyTristan

ihena81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihena81 Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 11:40am
post #1 of 2

AHi all, I'm going to attempt to make my first car cake (Ferrari 458 italia). I've read many tutorials and watched a lot of YouTube videos and have decided to use white chocolate ganache instead of buttercream. I had planned to steam the car after covering with fondant to give it a shiny look but I'm not sure if the ganache will tolerate the steam. I understand that white chocolate ganache is already softer than regular ganache and I'm worried that all my effort will be wasted. My guess is that you gently steam the fondant and don't want to steam it for longer periods of time anyway to avoid fondant sweating. Am I correct in my assumption?

1 reply
BAKEDbyTristan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BAKEDbyTristan Posted 2 Sep 2013 , 4:40am
post #2 of 2

the ganache does not react to water/steam the same way that chocolate alone would. PLUS, the ganache is well hidden underneath the fondant. With that said, steam away. If this is your first time using a steamer, don't be afraid to USE the steam for a second. You don't want to over steam by any-means, but a solid one-two seconds per area will help you.

You also have to worry about more than the fondant sweating. If it gets too wet it will just start to disintegrate.  Don't worry though...with you keeping the steamer on any area no more than 3 seconds you will be ok. |one-two]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%