How Often Do You Use Your Odd Size Pans?

Decorating By george101 Updated 24 Aug 2013 , 7:31am by MBalaska

george101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
george101 Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 17

In the process of purchasing magic line square, sheet and rounds.

I was wondering how often you use the odd size pans.

In my experience I use the 6,8 10, and 12 rounds.

I have no odd sizes so I don't know how often they are called for?

I was going for 6' through to 13" x 3 in the square. and round.

Do you use all those pan sizes?

16 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 17

My most used sizes for round wedding cakes was 6/9/12/15.

And I hate, hate, hate 3" deep pans.  YMMV.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 17

ALove my 3" pans. I only bake 2" cakes but I like the extra pan.

I also prefer the removable bottom pans.

I do not have the odd sizes (on way wish list). AZ Coutour uses them a great deal. Her cakes are gorgeous.

george101 Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 17

Why do you hate the 3 " pans? Those were the ones I was getting .

I Thought they would be better as I wouldn't have to worry about random recipes not fitting in the 2" or overflowing .

Thought they would have a bit more scope.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 17

AJust bought a bunch of magic lines to fill up my collection of round pans so I have at least 2 of all sizes from 5-12. I chose 3 inch deep pans for more versatility.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 17

My 11" I have never used, still has the label on it, lol, 5" rarely.

I like to have a 3" difference in tiers, and either a 4" or 6" on top, so the 7", 9", 13" and 15" quite regularly. I love my 3" high pans as well.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 17

I've use Magic Line 2" pans (love them).  I use all sizes often, including 5", 7", 9" & 11"

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 17

AOP as you can see both 2 and 3 inch deep pans work, and having odds and evens is a plus. It all boils down to personal preference. Just get a good brand.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 17

George101 ~~Are you a hobby baker OR will you be selling cakes?

Over the past 3 years as a hobby baker, I went bonkers and purchased (usually with coupons at local craft stores) TWO of each pan set:

WILTON BRAND PAN SETS:

Round

Oval

Petal

Hexagon

Heart

FAT DADDIO'S SQUARE/RECTANGLE PAN SETS:

Square

1/4 sheet (2 ea)

1/2 sheet (2 ea)

Since I hobby bake, I only bake when I want to (not because I HAVE to).  The pans I use 99% of the time?

Wilton round 6x2"

Wilton round 8x2"

Wilton round 10x2"

It's easier and doesn't require near as much "fiddling around" to use those for hobby baking gifts. 

IF I was starting over with the knowledge I have painfully gained, I would purchase 100% Magic Line, 2" high pans in round and square in even and odd sizes.    Unfortunately, since my existing pans work "ok", I can't rationalize chucking them and buying Magic Line.

george101 Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 6:55am
post #10 of 17

Thanks all for your help

Magic line is my pan of choice, you have helped confirm I was making the right choices, this forum is an amazing support and wealth of knowledge.

Thank you all I really appreciate it.

tomsann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsann Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 3:32pm
post #11 of 17

Hi, I like the odd size square pans mostly because it's easier to calculate batter amounts....

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 5:33pm
post #12 of 17

I use my 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 inch rounds very often. Wouldn't be able to function without them. Ditto on preferring 2 in. depth

george101 Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 8:53pm
post #13 of 17

Can you tell me why it is easier to calculate batter amounts?

tomsann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsann Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 9:30pm
post #14 of 17

HI, this is just me but I use boxed mixes pretty often and a 10" round takes one mix.

so a 9" square takes the same....

a 14" round takes 2 box mixes so a 13" square takes the same....

I hope that's helpful to you...

Marielijah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marielijah Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 9:43pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti 

George101 ~~Are you a hobby baker OR will you be selling cakes?

Over the past 3 years as a hobby baker, I went bonkers and purchased (usually with coupons at local craft stores) TWO of each pan set:

WILTON BRAND PAN SETS:

Round

Oval

Petal

Hexagon

Heart

FAT DADDIO'S SQUARE/RECTANGLE PAN SETS:

Square

1/4 sheet (2 ea)

1/2 sheet (2 ea)

Since I hobby bake, I only bake when I want to (not because I HAVE to).  The pans I use 99% of the time?

Wilton round 6x2"

Wilton round 8x2"

Wilton round 10x2"

It's easier and doesn't require near as much "fiddling around" to use those for hobby baking gifts. 

IF I was starting over with the knowledge I have painfully gained, I would purchase 100% Magic Line, 2" high pans in round and square in even and odd sizes.    Unfortunately, since my existing pans work "ok", I can't rationalize chucking them and buying Magic Line.

Can you tell me about Magic Line Pans?  I use Wilton and I'm just a hobby baker too but would love to hear all about Magic Line.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 10:49pm
post #16 of 17

Marilijah~~Welcome to the world of all things cake.   Although I only have a few Magic Line pans, these are the differences I've noticed from the lighter-weight aluminum construction of Wilton pans.

Magic Line is a heavier weight of construction.  They take a little longer to cook.  The outside edges don't seem to brown as much when using Bake Even Strips.  They have super-sharp corners (on pans with corners).  Once you have a Magic Line pan, you MUST learn to adjust your baking/times/recipes for Magic Line.   Once you are used to Magic Line, or any other pan(s), they will be CONSISTENT.

I've been in this hobby since Feb 2010.  I knew absolutely ZERO about anything cake when I started.  (Never had a hobby, thrived on being a work-a-holic in a profession I loved in medicine.) 

One of the biggest problems in being a "newbie", is that you don't know enough to KNOW where and when to invest in quality materials.  I had ZERO idea that I'd become addicted to cake decorating and chocolate making until AFTER I'd purchased many, many, many pans, molds, gadgets, ingredients, etc.   

Although I'd read over and over that Magic Line pans are the "best of the best", I also learned that you cannot purchase them at your local craft store with a 50% coupon.  Being unable to use a coupon plus having the additional cost of shipping/handling, I made other purchases.

My other purchases work fine, and will for many years (decades) to come, but I wish I had known to purchase ALL Magic Line.   Now that I know I will personally be in this for decades to come, I would like to have all my pans be the best-of-the-best.  Ah well....no need to whack myself on the head, my existing pans will work fine and I am now at the point in the learning curve where I KNOW what to buy and what to pass-up.

p.s.  You can see what I've baked in the Wilton pans at:

https://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 7:31am
post #17 of 17

The commenter is Right....Depends on whether you are going into business, or just a hobby baker.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%