Does Refrigeration Affect Gelatin Items??

Decorating By BeesKnees578 Updated 24 Aug 2013 , 11:18pm by bighand

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making gelatin confetti and was wondering if you can refrigerate it and not have any problems with it coming out into the air.

TIA for any help or suggestions!

4 replies
DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 5

The book I have says "General humid weather does not affect finished pieces; however, gelatin should not be placed in refrigerators or freezers."

bighand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bighand Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 12:15am
post #3 of 5

Hi BeesKnees  I made a wine bucket cake and put gelatine in around  the wine bottle,I put it in the fridge overnight.When I took it out the next day the gelatine ice started to melt and ruined the cake.It also smelled horrible so would definitely advise against  refrigerating it.HTH

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 12:24am
post #4 of 5

Whenever I do a wine themed cake I fill tiny plastic wine glasses with grape jello.  That way if it tips over the liquid in the glass is a solid and won't spill.  I haven't had any problems with this method but any cake taken out of the fridge in the summer "sweats", and gelatin confetti is so thin and tiny that I can see where it would melt in the dew on the cakes surface.  I wouldn't chance it.  Can you put the confetti on after you reach your location?

bighand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bighand Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 5

hi Denise I now use foxes glacier mints when I do a wine bottle cake,I live in Ireland and don't know if they are available were you are

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%