Low Corners On Square Cakes

Decorating By lkern777 Updated 24 Sep 2013 , 8:27pm by lkern777

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 1:49am
post #1 of 9

I am having a problem when baking a square cake my corners do not rise like the rest of the cake. This mainly happens with my chocolate cake (Q's Favorite Chocolate Cake from this site), but does it somewhat with other cakes too.

I have tried a couple of different chocolate recipes and it does it with all of them.

I am baking at 325 degrees in a commercial convection oven. I have a thermometer in the oven and the temp is dead on every time. I use Ateco heating cores (they look like flower nails) and I use baking strips on the outside of the pans.

Is there anything else I can do to make the corners rise with the rest of the cake? I'm having to cut off too much cake to get them level and the corners are getting too crisp.

Thanks for any help.

8 replies
ttaunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttaunt Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 2:06am
post #2 of 9

I have the same problem, I hope we get a good answer.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 2:41am
post #3 of 9

Here's a thread explaining how you can lift corners using pieces of a chocolate bar...this is after they're baked and you're stacking though.

http://cakecentral.com/t/758921/rectangle-square-cakes-corners

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 2:54am
post #4 of 9

what type of pans are you using?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 6:15am
post #5 of 9

AFor bake even strips to work, they need direct connection to the pan. This rarely happens with a square. They just don't wrap totally flush unless you really mess with them, double wrap, and make sure those strips are dripping wet. Also be careful you aren't overfilling your pan with batter. Squares don't do very well with that.

lkern777 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by virago 

what type of pans are you using?

I am using Magic Line pans.

lkern777 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots 

Here's a thread explaining how you can lift corners using pieces of a chocolate bar...this is after they're baked and you're stacking though.

http://cakecentral.com/t/758921/rectangle-square-cakes-corners

Thank you. I had seen this before, but couldn't remember where. I will use that if I cannot get my corners to rise in the oven itself.

lkern777 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 

For bake even strips to work, they need direct connection to the pan. This rarely happens with a square. They just don't wrap totally flush unless you really mess with them, double wrap, and make sure those strips are dripping wet. Also be careful you aren't overfilling your pan with batter. Squares don't do very well with that.

Thank you.  I will try this. BTW...I use your white cake recipe (and some of the variations) and I love it!

Your reverse creaming method is so much faster and easier. You wouldn't have a variation to make chocolate cake that you would like to share would you????!  

I love the finished taste and texture of what I am using, but it just doesn't rise enough and I have to bake extra layers to get enough height in my cakes.

lkern777 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 8:27pm
post #9 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttaunt 

I have the same problem, I hope we get a good answer.

The following week I tried again with less batter in the pans, but the rest the same and the corners did not rise at all again.

This week I tried yet again and here's what ended up working:

-I super-saturated the bake-even strips and put them on dripping wet

-used Ateco heating cores in the pans

-I turned my oven down from 325 degrees to 300 degrees (recipe called for 325 for cakes, 350 for cupcakes)

-I filled the pans up to the 1-1/2" point in 2" pans (over-filled basically)

I still had a little bit of a dome to cut off, but nothing like before and the top of the cakes were not all cracked like they rose too fast either. My pans did not overflow from filling too full, thankfully.

I don't know if this will work for anyone else, but this is what ended up working for me without having to bake an extra layer to get the right height on my cake and without cutting off half of my cake layers leveling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%