Customer Wanting To Make Payments

Business By SaraLee08 Updated 22 Aug 2013 , 3:09am by kikiandkyle

SaraLee08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraLee08 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 9

AOk so I've never had a problem getting payments, I always accept the rest of the payments on pick up date. No problems so far, Well I gave a quote of $185 for an order 2 8" birthday cakes and 1 dozen cupcakes. All for next month, The response I got was ,"ok & That's for all my orders?" And I said yes but also repeated the order back to her. Next I get an email saying "ok that's fine but I'm going to give you money little by little because it's all for one month." I still haven't responded I'm baffled by this, I don't know her personally but she's a friend of my brother, so I Dont know if she thinks she can do that, I really don't want to risk losing money. Do any of you do payment plans??

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 9

I always let people do payment plans, but only through PayPal.  Paypal sends them a receipt and they have to keep up with it.  I'd check it three weeks out and if it wasn't paid it full, they'd have one last chance to send the money trhu.  I didn't bill them and I only checked it that one time.  It's up to them to keep sending me money and print out their reciepts and track it.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 9

Some people have money issues; I think it's great that this customer is upfront about payment. You can treat it like a layaway - all payments are made before product (item) is released.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 9

I don't see the problem either, unless she wants to still be making payments after she gets her order.

SaraLee08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraLee08 Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 9

ASo basically I need to have her make payments Before the cake is due, I had the impression as if she wanted to make payments After she received the cake. But I'll email her to better understand what she meant. Thanks :)

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 9

AI will never forget a precious bride who was low on funds. To her, the most important part of the wedding was the cake (love those). She came in every payday to pay off a bit more. I loved her.

Yes! Paymen plan but balance still due by your guidelines

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 9

She can make payments but it has to be paid in full 2 weeks before it's due.  Also, I personally don't allow payment plans with Paypal since they take out a fee everytime some uses it and then I am losing money each time.   Or just up the price to make up for the % Paypal takes out, I guess.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 12:33am
post #8 of 9

AId make her pay a deposit to book the date but sure ie let people pay in payments as long as everything is paid off two weeks prior. Maybe one week prior (if your comfortable with that!) since the event is coming up soon. I don't use PayPal, but what I understand they do take a percentage unless it's sent as a gift (or something like that-I used it once to book a spot at a Vendor Fair and they had me pay as gift or donation so the full amount went to her).

I wouldn't let her make payments after though, that's just me. Just be very clear and do what your comfortable with.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 22 Aug 2013 , 3:09am
post #9 of 9

AShe might mean that she's going to pay you as each cake is delivered, I'd just respond with 'you can pay in as many installments as you like so long as each cake is paid for at least x days before I deliver it!'.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%