Can Someone Consult Me In Private?

Lounge By kaylawaylalayla Updated 22 Aug 2013 , 9:02am by Nadiaa

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 65

I have something that I would like some feedback on, but I know I would be eaten alive if I posted it on the forums. does anybody care to take some time to consult me through pm?

64 replies
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 65

sure...

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 65

AYou know I'm in your corner. And, I've already had lunch.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 65

me too

kaylawaylalayla Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 65

ok I sent one to my first pm, it took me forever to type because I had a little baby pressing delete and esc while I was typing.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 65

ADude, you know I don't judge! Unless it has to do with pets or bugs and food, bleah!

kaylawaylalayla Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 65

waiting on my first response to see if I should even bother to continue. lol. thanks everyone for your willingness to help.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 65

AOk, but ima gonna pout.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Dude, you know I don't judge! Unless it has to do with pets or bugs and food, bleah!

This one's for you Anna! icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.foodiggity.com/tag/bugs/

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

This one's for you Anna! icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.foodiggity.com/tag/bugs/

OMG...I just threw up a little in my mouth! The link wouldn't open so I searched the site for bug cupcakes. Anna, don't look!!! You will have nightmares!

sixinarow Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:22pm
post #11 of 65

It's gross!!  I fixed the link -- how about the cicada "part" teacup..'cuz nothing says relaxation like sipping tea from a cup made of bug parts!!

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:28pm
post #12 of 65

Ewwwwwwww!!!!!!!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:29pm
post #13 of 65

Stop it with the bugs! Just stop it!

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 6:42pm
post #14 of 65

AThat reminds me of this show my daughter was watching, there was a girl that had an art stand and she would create sculptures and jewelry out of finger and toenails! She would set out clippers and a bowl at her booth for people to make donations.

Random I know

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 7:09pm
post #15 of 65

AWell, I might judge, but I won't lie to you.

AZCouture Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 7:10pm
post #16 of 65

AOh, forgot the smiley. Here. ;-)

kaylawaylalayla Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 7:12pm
post #17 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Well, I might judge, but I won't lie to you.

I appreciate it.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 7:27pm
post #18 of 65

alright, i'm just gonna post it here. 

http://pinterest.com/tnkohler/dessert-restaurant/

AZCouture Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 7:27pm
post #19 of 65

A

Original message sent by Smckinney07

That reminds me of this show my daughter was watching, there was a girl that had an art stand and she would create sculptures and jewelry out of finger and toenails! She would set out clippers and a bowl at her booth for people to make donations.

Random I know

Random and disgusting! Give me bugs any day! Reminds me of Regretsy. She would feature a listing from Etsy everyday that was either some nasty "art" like that, or would expose mass produced goods from China being sold as handmade or vintage or what have you. Funniest siteyou ever saw.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 7:43pm
post #20 of 65

Do you have a community college nearby?  For example, there's one in my area and they have a small business center where they actually have people who specialize in business plans. 

The main thing is you need to determine if your area could sustain such a business.  I've just been informed that a cupcake place in my city has closed after being open not even two years.  Some localities can't handle specialty shops.  Look for business centers online and see if you can get hooked up with someone, or call your county's business license department and see if they can recommend you.  That's what I did a while back when I was thinking of starting my own biz. 

Or you could PM Jason Kraft and see if he's got any suggestions.  I know he recently started a website about all this stuff.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 7:46pm
post #21 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

Do you have a community college nearby?  For example, there's one in my area and they have a small business center where they actually have people who specialize in business plans. 

The main thing is you need to determine if your area could sustain such a business.  I've just been informed that a cupcake place in my city has closed after being open not even two years.  Some localities can't handle specialty shops.  Look for business centers online and see if you can get hooked up with someone, or call your county's business license department and see if they can recommend you.  That's what I did a while back when I was thinking of starting my own biz. 

Or you could PM Jason Kraft and see if he's got any suggestions.  I know he recently started a website about all this stuff.

I live down the road from a community college, but even that is out of my budget right now. that's a problem we haven't solved yet, because we don't know where we will be doing this.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 7:49pm
post #22 of 65

Kayla, the one near me is a free center.  It's connected to the college but you don't have to pay for a lot of their services from what I understand.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 8:39pm
post #23 of 65

AThe community college where I used to live also had free small business advisory services. Just pop in and see what they're about, you never know where it might lead!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 9:10pm
post #24 of 65

I just scrolled through the Pinterest page and I'd like to order one of each pastry.

No, never mind. I don't really want to commit suicide by sugar!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 9:14pm
post #25 of 65

I think it was Mimifix who posted a link the other day to a site to help you write a biz plan, I will see if I can find it (unless someone beats me to it!)

Can I just say, that I am in AWE of your Pinterest board and I think it's a great idea to keep all your ideas in one place. If you do 1/10th of the stuff that's on there, I am SO visiting your place when you open and I will stay all day or maybe 2 days, just so I can try everything!!!!!!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 9:23pm
post #26 of 65

Found it! http://www.sba.gov/category/navigation-structure/starting-managing-business/starting-business/how-write-business-plan

Not sure who posted it though, I found it in my browsing history, sorry.

sixinarow Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 9:30pm
post #27 of 65

I think Pinterest is a good place to keep inspiration. I have an inspiration board filled with Chanel and Carolina Herrera dresses, jewelry, fabrics --anything that catches my eye that I want to try to represent on a cake. Your board made me really, really hungry! :)

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 9:37pm
post #28 of 65

We have free small business help centers as well, I would definitely take the advice about walking into your local college, even if they don't offer anything, they can probably point you in the right direction. (if they can't, check with your public library, those people are an amazing source of information!)

As far as your pin board, I'm seeing a lot of 'dream' stuff, that is in reality quite impractical. ie: all you need to temper chocolate is a pot, a bowl, a spatula and a thermometer.

Start with the basics, unless you have an open kitchen concept, nobody will notice if you are using an older second hand oven, or ugly measuring cups :) Wander around restaurant supply stores and ask if they sell refurbished or second hand.

It's fun to dream and pin gorgeous things, but I would make a practical board and a dream board, if you want to use pinterest as a tool. Nothing goes into the practical board that isn't 100% necessary.

Get the business plan down, set a realistic budget, and realistic menu and go from there. Pinterest is a great asset but can totally overwhelm you, too many recipes and ideas, lol

I ran a French pastry kitchen for a few years, producing the set menu of 8 items was hard enough, then the owner was a sadist and would have 3 weekly special items. Even with 2 people under me, I was in that kitchen at 4 am to turn those ovens on, and dead tired by the time I got home.

Simplify, simplify, simplify! You can always add more later, overwhelming yourself with extra work and bills just means burnout or closing your doors.

(I came across your board a month or so ago actually, love some of the recipes, the chocolate dipped creme de menthe marshmallows are yummmmy. I added cocoa nibs, and was informed they are to be made every Christmas now, haha)

kaylawaylalayla Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 10:04pm
post #29 of 65

AYeah I agree about a lot of dream items. I was definitely shooting for the moon. I was going for an exhaustive list of everything I could think of that we would want in our dream dessert restaurant. We were talking over maybe offering 6 of each type at first. 6 gelatos, 6 small pastries/plated dessert, 6 truffles. I know we probably won't be able to start with most of this stuff. Which I think is sort of exciting, you know to make it. As for a realistic budget, I don't even know where to start.

kaylawaylalayla Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 10:04pm
post #30 of 65

ALike how much money should you have saved going in

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%