For Those That Have Facebook Business Pages...

Business By sixinarow Updated 19 Aug 2013 , 3:06pm by BatterUpCake

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 25

How often do you update status and pictures to keep fans engaged and draw in new fans?

I just started a fb business page a couple weeks ago, but I'm not really sure how/if to use it as a marketing tool.

Do I update every couple days. once a week..status v pictures?

Thanks for your insight!

24 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 25

AI post most things I make if they look good. I sell baked goods in general, cakes were not my main focus in the beginning. I also have a calendar of all food 'holidays,' so sometimes I'll post something saying what it is, then a sentence about what I'll make to celebrate. I don't have a ton of likes, and really haven't gotten any business from Facebook, but I try not to let my page go too stale.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 25

I try and post once or twice a week, and people love photos. I choose and cake I have photographed nicely and give a brief description of the flavours, the event and sometimes the background behind the design of the cake. If I haven't had any decent cake photos (or I didn't like any of the cakes that week, as in, I wouldn't want to repeat doing it!), I take a photo of the cupcakes I have for sale that day or something. 

I also post upcoming classes I teach.

I hate being bombarded by business's posts myself on my personal page, so I don't post more often on my business one to avoid being the one doing the bombarding!

ETA that a way to get more "likes" is to run a give away of something. Just be careful to read the rules FB has to avoid getting your page shut down. Be aware that more likes/fans does not mean more cake business necessarily - most of my business is through word of mouth, although I do find it works for advertising my classes. I guess I am followed more by bakers and decorators, than by cake customers.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 25

AI don't have a business facebook (for cakes anyways), but I do like a lot of bakery pages. The ones that I see that I like is when they post the cake and a nice message for the recipient of the cake. Like " congratulations ben and julie! I hope you enjoy your special day as much as I enjoyed making your cake!" . and welcome and invite your customers to share pics of themselves with their cakes.

What I find really annoying about some of the cake and pastry places I "like" is when they are really conceited and exaggerate. One page is always like " our genius chocolatier so and so just came up with key lime cake balls! Aren't they great? Isn't she wonderful! Wow, she's so creative!".

So be humble. Post every couple of days. Take great pictures . And ask questions. And don't say anything if you don't have any substance or content just to say something. Good luck! What's your page, ill give you a like?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 25

Oh, and I never post a photo of a wedding cake until after the wedding, in case it spoils the surprise for anyone! And I do always offer congratulations to the couple, like kaylawaylalayla said.

sixinarow Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 25

Thanks for the advice! Great information that I'll put into practice!

I don't want to be a status clogger but also don't want to go too long between postings either! I don't know if I'll get any business from the fb page, for some reason though, some people think you have a more reputable company if you have more "likes" so I caved and started a page! icon_rolleyes.gif It's www.facebook.com/thecrumbcoat   -- it needs some work but I'm still trying to figure the whole facebook business page thing out!!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 25

AAbout once a day, maybe more if I have something interesting to share. I use my page for keeping up with other decorators and the business in general, I don't focus on it too much for local business.

AZCouture Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 25

AWhat you post is important. Funny stories, controversial articles, pages or cakes you like...things that get people involved and make them want to comment. Engage your audience, rather than

AZCouture Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 25

AGot cut off. Engage your audience, rather than just photos of your work all the time.

sixinarow Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 25

AOoh..so more networking. That's great - I put off the whole business page because I didn't really see it bringing in a lot of customers, but I never thought of it as networking. It's like your some kind of cake genius. ;)

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 25

As a customer, I like to see what's on a company's facebook page if I haven't used them before. I look through the comments, and check out the photos etc. 

SanDiegoBeautifulCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SanDiegoBeautifulCakes Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 10:39pm
post #12 of 25

I thought that is what a website is for? We do not have an account on Facebook and do not want one. You can find all of those things on our website.

Beth & Andrew

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 10:47pm
post #13 of 25

My business is tiny so I don't update as often as I should. In addition to posting cake pictures, I'll occasionally post about what I'm working on or doing that is cake related. I never even hint at "scolding" my customers. No posts about why cakes cost so much, etc. And I don't discuss cost (OK, I did once but decided from now on to take that private).

Here's something I REALLY dislike, though. Business pages that continually share other business pages' statuses and photos! I feel like I see the same things over and over because 5 different pages have all shared the same cake that was actually shared several times before it even got to that 5. I also only want MY cakes on my page. When sharing someone else's it's easy to have it mistaken your own.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 11:12pm
post #14 of 25

I just got a week's worth of "questions of the day" for my facebook page from this thread, so thanks!icon_wink.gif

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 11:52pm
post #15 of 25

AMost businesses only update their website photos occasionally and with a select handful to preserve load times, there are almost always more photos on Facebook and they tend to get comments so I can get a better idea of how legit they are.

Just yesterday I was looking on the page of a chicken burger company to see if they'd posted any meal ideas for the product.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 1:11am
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoBeautifulCakes 

I thought that is what a website is for? We do not have an account on Facebook and do not want one. You can find all of those things on our website.

Beth & Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

Most businesses only update their website photos occasionally and with a select handful to preserve load times, there are almost always more photos on Facebook and they tend to get comments so I can get a better idea of how legit they are.

Exactly. And FB allows you to interact with customers and network with fellow vendors in a unique way that can't be accomplished with just a website. 

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 1:48am
post #17 of 25

I have a website and a Facebook page. My Facebook page is more up to date with recent cakes than the website which is why there's a link to it on the site. However, I do not want customers to post to ask for prices on my Facebook page and if they do, they're referred to email. Why anyone would publicly discuss the details of a cake order is beyond me. My other pet peeve is that some post pics of a cake on facebook before the party.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 2:22am
post #18 of 25

I 'unliked' a very popular page a while ago because the owner was constantly whining about her customers. I live on a whole other continent, so I wasn't really a potential customer anyway, but she was always complaining about how her customers didn't understand why cake was expensive, how late customers were irritating etc. It just looked awful!

AZCouture Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 2:29am
post #19 of 25

A

Original message sent by mcaulir

I 'unliked' a very popular page a while ago because the owner was constantly whining about her customers. I live on a whole other continent, so I wasn't really a potential customer anyway, but she was always complaining about how her customers didn't understand why cake was expensive, how late customers were irritating etc. It just looked awful!

I have a few friends that do that and it makes me cringe. If you have to constantly defend your pricing and the people who request cakes from you are jerky cheapskates, then something's wrong with you and the way you do business.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 12:07pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

How often do you update status and pictures to keep fans engaged and draw in new fans?

I just started a fb business page a couple weeks ago, but I'm not really sure how/if to use it as a marketing tool.

Do I update every couple days. once a week..status v pictures?

Thanks for your insight!

Facebook is a great tool for communicating with consumers. Your posting schedule is whatever you feel comfortable doing, whether it's daily, once a week, or whenever you have a now photo. Best: the visual impact of your own photos is important for strengthening your relationship with customers. Worst: mixing personal updates with business, such as posting about a friend's new house-cleaning business or asking fans to vote for a child's pageant photo so your cousin can win a free photo session. I also don't like when a business continually shares other pages. People go to a business page to see what's going on with that business. Yaking about someone else only takes the focus away from you. You are not a food blogger, you are a business.  

Ultimately, Facebook is an important but unreliable business tool. FB periodically makes changes to reap higher profits; since we do not pay for this service we have no contract and no voice. I always suggest that businesses create a website. A simple blog page works well and will be there when Facebook is no longer free.      

LaurasBoutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurasBoutique Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 12:48pm
post #21 of 25

Completely agree MimiFix - if you rely 100% on Facebook, your entire business coudl go the way of hte dodo just like MySpace did.  Plus they're always tinkering with pretty fundamental elements.  For example, now when you publish an update, it only goes to a fraction of your followers unless you pay extra...  As a result, Facebook's usefulness to ordinary business is declining all the time.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 1:05pm
post #22 of 25

I really need a webdesigner for my cake stands.....I am putting together a FB page but I don't expect that to reach the intended audience

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 2:55pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Facebook is a great tool for communicating with consumers. Your posting schedule is whatever you feel comfortable doing, whether it's daily, once a week, or whenever you have a now photo. Best: the visual impact of your own photos is important for strengthening your relationship with customers. Worst: mixing personal updates with business, such as posting about a friend's new house-cleaning business or asking fans to vote for a child's pageant photo so your cousin can win a free photo session. I also don't like when a business continually shares other pages. People go to a business page to see what's going on with that business. Yaking about someone else only takes the focus away from you. You are not a food blogger, you are a business.  

Ultimately, Facebook is an important but unreliable business tool. FB periodically makes changes to reap higher profits; since we do not pay for this service we have no contract and no voice. I always suggest that businesses create a website. A simple blog page works well and will be there when Facebook is no longer free.      

Good point.

I follow two internationally known cakers , neither of which understands the difference between personal and business pages apparently. And I get cake related updates right long with very personal stuff - it's so weird. And no, I won't say who they are icon_biggrin.gif

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 3:00pm
post #24 of 25

internationally known cakers well that narrows it down :P

and batter up cake, maybe you could use fb like az does and network with other cake business on fb.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 3:06pm
post #25 of 25

I'm not internationally known, but I'm known to rock the microphone. Sorry, got distracted there. Would I just send them a friends request?  Sounds like a good idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%