Apple Cakes And Cakes Rising

Baking By Nalgh3 Updated 19 Aug 2013 , 4:35pm by AnnieCahill

Nalgh3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nalgh3 Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 8

AHello I'm baking a cake for an event and I was thinking of going the apple cake route. But since I'm only doing it one layer I want to make sure it has some height. Do Apple Cakes generally rise or are they too dense? Also I heard adding a spoon of Meringue powder helps cakes rise, does that work for scratch cakes and what step do I add it, with the flour? Thanks.

7 replies
Nalgh3 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 3:39am
post #2 of 8

AAnyone?

Thanks

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:18am
post #3 of 8

Meringue powder won't help a cake rise, and how much it rises really depends on your recipe.

I bake mine to 2 inches, never tried for taller than that, but I imagine it would. Can you stack 2 on top of each other if need be?

Nalgh3 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 8

thank you scrum about the Meringue Powder. The recipe I had has shredded fresh apples and no baking powder and then oil, sugar etc.

I would much prefer to just have the one layer instead of baking more to stack since it's a small event and I am going to be spending a considerable amount of time/effort decorating

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 8

I did an apple spice cake for my girlfriend's wedding a few months ago.  It rose to the top of the pan but that was only two inches.  To me, two inches is squat for a cake.  It was for a wedding so I did it two layers with caramel filling in the middle.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 8

The term "apple cake" only refers to a category of cakes that incorporates apples. Every recipe is different so I suggest you look for a recipe that includes a leavener. allrecipes.com has hundreds of reviewed apple cakes.

Nalgh3 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you Annie, I may need to stack two layers then just to stay safe.

Thank you Mimi, the recipe I do have does include apple, I will certainly look through the allrecipes cakes icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 8

What I did was use my carrot cake recipe and used shredded apples instead of carrots.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%