Friday Night Cake Club 8/16/13

Decorating By catlharper Updated 20 Aug 2013 , 3:53am by auntginn

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 12:58am
post #1 of 37

Opening up another session of the FNCC! This is a place for anyone who wants to share their week (good or bad), photos, ask for help or give help if you can. Everyone is welcome!

Cat

36 replies
catlharper Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 1:01am
post #2 of 37

Hi everyone!  Starting a bit early tonight because I have to go deliver this cake to San Jose. It is double staked into the cake drum but I'm still kinda freaked out. The birthday guy owns a propane franchise, thus the propane tank<G> 

Next up is a small purse cake and then a Barbie doll cake. OH MAN, I just realized that when I was at the store I forgot to buy the Barbie! Oh well, I have time. Hope everyone has had a good week and that I get to see lots of cake photos whenever I can check back in here tonight!

Cat

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 1:05am
post #3 of 37

I am baking a cake tonight to be frozen and decorated later this month.  This will be my biggest cake ever, 3-tier to feed 150 people!

cakeddc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeddc Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 1:06am
post #4 of 37

AHi everyone! On the road to a beach vacation with all three kiddos (still awake, 9 PM Eastern time btw). At least the baby finally stopped crying. This is a art pallete birthday cake for an 11 year old girl, vanilla cake filled with homemade dulce de leche and vanilla buttercream. She seemed to like it. Looking forward to seeing all the amazing cakes--while driving for the next 3 plus hours ;)

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3079631/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

cakeddc Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 1:08am
post #5 of 37

AWow! amazing as usual Cat--they will be thrilled!quote name="catlharper" url="/t/762460/friday-night-cake-club-8-16-13#post_7431474"]Hi everyone!  Starting a bit early tonight because I have to go deliver this cake to San Jose. It is double staked into the cake drum but I'm still kinda freaked out. The birthday guy owns a propane franchise, thus the propane tank  [URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3079632/] [/URL] Next up is a small purse cake and then a Barbie doll cake. OH MAN, I just realized that when I was at the store I forgot to buy the Barbie! Oh well, I have time. Hope everyone has had a good week and that I get to see lots of cake photos whenever I can check back in here tonight!

Cat

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 1:17am
post #6 of 37

Hey there Friday nighters!! I'm working on a 3D upright spiderman cake (the head and shoulders or bust if you will :). I've been wanting to do this cake for the longest and I finally have a client that went crazy when she saw a picture of it. She even added a creative spin - she'd like good spiderman on one half and bad spiderman, Venom, on the other half. I'm not excited about wearing my hands out with the clay extruder to do the webs, but I have a feeling this is gonna be an awesome cake! At least I'm praying it will! :)

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 1:40am
post #7 of 37

ACat-- your propane tank is really cool! Cakeddc-- I love your art pallet cake!I bet that was one happy girl! No orders this week, I got a couple of the marvelous mold onlays, so I made the cake in my avatar. :) Can't wait to see all the creations!

catlharper Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 1:49am
post #8 of 37

Norasmom, is this a wedding cake? I'd love to bake far ahead but no freezer space! LOL! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Cakeddc, Thanx! I really hope he loves it. I sure do love your art cake. I've been dying to do one...with a paint palette I mean. I really like your paint! Have fun at the beach! I'll be blessed to be going there tomorrow for a short bit myself<G>

therealmrsriley, that sounds SOOOOO cool! But I, too, feel for your hands! Please please please post a photo when you are done?

sixinarow...oooooo...that cake looks SO pretty! I love how you did the negatives and divided it by the ribbon. SO elegant!

Well, we are "off" so I'll see ya'll in a couple of hours!

Cat

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 1:50am
post #9 of 37

Cat, I love that cake! I did a tall one like that and it traveled fine, I'm sure yours will too.

And Cake, I love the way you put big 3d globs of paint on the pallet. Very creative!

I usually don't share, but it was a slow week and I actually have time. I just finished this little ballerina cake.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 1:57am
post #10 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper 

Norasmom, is this a wedding cake? I'd love to bake far ahead but no freezer space! LOL! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Cakeddc, Thanx! I really hope he loves it. I sure do love your art cake. I've been dying to do one...with a paint palette I mean. I really like your paint! Have fun at the beach! I'll be blessed to be going there tomorrow for a short bit myself<G>

therealmrsriley, that sounds SOOOOO cool! But I, too, feel for your hands! Please please please post a photo when you are done?

sixinarow...oooooo...that cake looks SO pretty! I love how you did the negatives and divided it by the ribbon. SO elegant!

Well, we are "off" so I'll see ya'll in a couple of hours!

Cat

No, it's not for a wedding, I am too gun shy to do a wedding!  A friend whose father owns nursing homes is having a 40th anniversary celebration for one of his nursing homes.  I am decorating it with a sculpture that looks like the fountain they have in the courtyard.  So far so good!

I love the propane tank cake!!

cakeddc Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 1:59am
post #11 of 37

A

Original message sent by howsweet

Cat, I love that cake! I did a tall one like that and it traveled fine, I'm sure yours will too. And Cake, I love the way you put big 3d globs of paint on the pallet. Very creative!

I usually don't share, but it was a slow week and I actually have time. I just finished this little ballerina cake.

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3079652/] [/URL]

Oh my! My four year old would go nuts over that. Darling!

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 3:54am
post #12 of 37

Oh so tired. It's been a long week, and I'm not feeling to hot. Trying to press through this as much as I can tonight. So far this week I've done 2 cupcake orders, 2 cake orders, and I'm working on two 1/2 sheet cakes tonight. It's pretty much been 1-2 orders per day this week. I just ran out of frosting so I'm debating on whether or not it's time to go to bed and regroup in the morning or pull it together tonight. The one I have left is a Dora and Diego cake, thankfully it's a decopac cake. Recently I've had customers that just want a cake they can find in a grocery store (style wise), so much to my surprise I've been doing a lot of cakes that I don't really have to think about, just execute. It's kind of a weird twist to all this. I'm still not sure how I feel about this. On the otherhand, it has allowed me to take more orders per week because they don't take as much time.

catlharper Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 4:55am
post #13 of 37

AHi everyone! The cake made it! I totally LOVE the ballerina cake! Tdove...you sound totally exhausted....maybe call it a night is a good thing. Cat

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 6:49am
post #14 of 37

Hi all, Love the propane tank and glad it made it , Loving the Ballerina too so sweet. 

I just came back from delivering my cake for the week , only one this week but I have had a huge week .( Cat this is just to make you tired) I did a cupcake decorating class on Sunday. I went to the State Show on Monday , I had an A.G.M. for our cake club Monday night , ( I was re elected Branch Secretary ) . Tuesday I took some of our older members from the club out for Morning tea, Wednesday I did a Peony class ( Lucky I can just about do that one with my eyes closed these days. ) I baked two passionfruit mudcakes and two strawberry mudcakes. 

Thurs I ganached , Fri I decorated. Saturday morning was family visit time  and then I delivered the  Two tier , red and black , 1920's flapper inspired cake . Photos to follow. 

I really need to wash tomorrow and clean my house before my cleaning lady comes on Monday. 

I hope everyone has a great weekend. 

Chelle

just4fun26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just4fun26 Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 7:06am
post #15 of 37

AI'll be baking tomorrow. Nothing major. I'm finally able to put weight on my ankle after two surgeries. So my fiance is getting a single serving cake. Milk chocolate with my 'light' vanilla buttercream, cherries on top with chocolate shavings. His mom is getting one as well, she just had knee surgery. Cakes for everyone!!!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 7:43am
post #16 of 37

Hi everyone.

Howsweet, so sweet.

I have just got home from cake decorating club for the month.  We had a guest decorator up from Perth who demonstrated pressure piping.  Not the chunky sort where you make figures etc, but the really delicate pressure piped filled in lace.  I managed to smash mine to smithereens whilst getting it off my acetate so nothing to show.  She also demonstrated veil paste which seems to me to be a sugarveil copy.

Looking forward to seeing all the cakes for the week.  Cheers.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 7:51am
post #17 of 37

Good evening friends...

Cat, great job on the tank cake. Glad it made it.

howsweet.... well, how sweet, the cake,lol

therealmrsriley, I can't wait to see the spiderman cake.  I have one coming up next week.

tdove, I hear you.. long long weeks with no relief in site, icon_lol.gif

This will be an all niter for me.  I am 99% done on the largest cake.  A Western themed cake for a baby shower to feed 100 people.  Who has baby showers with that many people.  Another baby shower cake but 1/2 the size.  And lastly a double birthday party.  2 cakes - One is  a princess theme and the other is Mario Bros.  Both are simple and both have 1 dz cupcakes to match.

Made a cake on Monday, a shoe box with a tennis shoe.  I did not like how it came out.  It was a last minute order and the rush just killed me.

I finally found someone to work with me and I have been training her for 2 days.  She can't believe all she sees and how much work we have.  I let her taste everything, lol  Poor thing. She's so eager to learn it all.

auntginn Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 7:54am
post #18 of 37

Oops, just realized I forgot to post the pic

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 9:23am
post #19 of 37

I love the artist palette cake , I don't know how I missed that one earlier. Very Cute AuntGinn, the last baby shower I threw had about 25 people and I thought that was huge. I think sometimes they just ask all the people for the presents. 

Here is my Flapper cake , I was happy with it , and the birthday girl loved it . Her Mum lives up north and ordered it for her as a surprise . 

Here is the link to it in the gallery. 

http://cakecentral.com/g/a/3390675/flapper-cake#

auntginn Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 3:28pm
post #20 of 37

Chelles, love your cake.  Thank you.  Yes, I think they do too.   I remember when baby showers were a women's thing.  Now everybody comes.  Oh well.  More cake!

catlharper Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 5:04pm
post #21 of 37

Chelle...yup, made me so tired reading about your week I even read it outloud to my husband! LOL! BEAUTIFUL cake!!!! I totally LOVE it. 

Ginn...those cowboy boots are totally adorable! And, yes, Tory and I have worked quite a few baby showers where there were 50+ guests! Her own baby shower was 40 people...which meant that my grandson's 1st birthday guest list was over 100. (once you add in husbands and kids). Tory had the party in a movie theater (we know the general manager very well..friends for a long time...so we got a deal on the rental) in order to hold everyone! I think, in this economy, people are having less little dinner party/bbq's from week to week and inviting everyone they know for the big occasions instead. BTW...your week exhausts me too! LOL!

Cazza..what the heck is pressure piping?

just4fun...OUCH! And your mom just had surgery too! If any family deserves cake it's you guys!

Today we start out with a birthday party and then we will transport the cake another hour to the event site in Monterey where we will get to go to the beach!!! (I am SUCH a beach baby) Starting out with a very slow morning at Tory's house.

I will post more photos later when the cake is all set up so you guys can see it in place! I think it's going to be so cute...the theme is bbq...red and white checkered napkins and such. 

Cat

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 9:34pm
post #22 of 37

Loving the propane cake and the ballerina. It has been a slow week cake wise. I have a small 8" round in the oven now. She only wants "2 layers, not 4 like last time" what she means is 1 2" layer torted...lol. Ok...whatever.  Since it is slow I went and dropped off a gift certificate to raffle off at a benefit for a 7 year old boy needing a wheelchair lift. Poor lil thing icon_cry.gif. Cake stands have been keeping me busy. I am painting a couple this weekend. Well, back to work.....

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 1:00am
post #23 of 37

Cat, that is quite a cake! For something like that do you support it the same way you do a tiered cake? I'm amazed at how nice it is, I can't imagine covering something so large in fondant. 

Howsweet, what a sweet ballerina cake. The ballerina looks so thin. How do you balance her on the cake? 

I've finally had adequate pain killers, a bit of sleep, a margarita, and a good meal in me. I usually take a week off, everyone month but I failed to block off a week and keeping scheduling cakes. It took me forever to finish my last two cakes of the week. I'm so much more efficient when I'm well rested. 

Here's a few of the cakes I worked on this week. 

A 10" vegan, ombre rose cake, for a small wedding. Almond cake, raspberry preserves and white chocolate fillings. This happens to be my favorite flavor that I make. I often times think back to the Bill Cosby episode where he cut a piece out of the middle of the cake, stuffed it with paper towels and iced it so his wife wouldn't find out. Every time I make this flavor combo I think really hard about it. LOL! The photographer sent me a picture, it makes the cake look so much better. When I took the picture you couldn't even see the ombre effect. 

Here's my Dora decopac cake I gave up on last night because I ran out of frosting. Once I got some sleep, it was actually kinda fun to do and I got to use the airbrush that I feel like was a waste of $$$ because I rarely use it.

I was airbrush happy this week. A primary color balloon cake. Looking at this, I probably should have did the clouds and sky on the whole cake or at least some grass or something at the bottom.

I did a few others this week, mostly undecorated. 

Time do some templates for next week. Ballerina cupcakes and a turquoise, purple, and black dessert buffet.

I'm vowing not to take any last minute orders this week and the next free weekend I have, I'm taking off. 

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 1:13am
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdovewings 

Cat, that is quite a cake! For something like that do you support it the same way you do a tiered cake? I'm amazed at how nice it is, I can't imagine covering something so large in fondant. 

Howsweet, what a sweet ballerina cake. The ballerina looks so thin. How do you balance her on the cake? 

I've finally had adequate pain killers, a bit of sleep, a margarita, and a good meal in me. I usually take a week off, everyone month but I failed to block off a week and keeping scheduling cakes. It took me forever to finish my last two cakes of the week. I'm so much more efficient when I'm well rested. 

Here's a few of the cakes I worked on this week. 

A 10" vegan, ombre rose cake, for a small wedding. Almond cake, raspberry preserves and white chocolate fillings. This happens to be my favorite flavor that I make. I often times think back to the Bill Cosby episode where he cut a piece out of the middle of the cake, stuffed it with paper towels and iced it so his wife wouldn't find out. Every time I make this flavor combo I think really hard about it. LOL! The photographer sent me a picture, it makes the cake look so much better. When I took the picture you couldn't even see the ombre effect. 

Here's my Dora decopac cake I gave up on last night because I ran out of frosting. Once I got some sleep, it was actually kinda fun to do and I got to use the airbrush that I feel like was a waste of $$$ because I rarely use it.

I was airbrush happy this week. A primary color balloon cake. Looking at this, I probably should have did the clouds and sky on the whole cake or at least some grass or something at the bottom.

I did a few others this week, mostly undecorated. 

Time do some templates for next week. Ballerina cupcakes and a turquoise, purple, and black dessert buffet.

I'm vowing not to take any last minute orders this week and the next free weekend I have, I'm taking off. 

Love the Bill Cosby story! I wish I would get more orders for Rose Ombre's...So easy but people this you are a genius for creating something so beautiful...shhhh..it's or little secret! Was asked about a Dora cake today. I said of course I can make it....but I know darned well she can't afford a custom cake...not to mention she was a very disagreeable ex roommate of mine so that means the cost doubles! lol. Can't wait to see pictures of your dessert buffet. I wantto do one of those just so I can make a macaron tower!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 2:05am
post #25 of 37

This is SO awesome.

catlharper Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 5:11pm
post #26 of 37

Hi everyone! Here is the party set up! The cake isn't a big cake..those are stacked 4 inch layers. So maybe 14 inches tall total. I staked it down with two skewers into the cake drum. The first time I have actually pulled out the hammer and hammered in stakes into a cake! LOL!  If I were doing this in a big version I would have used dowels in between like a regular stacked cake.

Tdove...I am always SO impressed with your sheet cakes. They are SO perfect. Mine never turn out that well.

Well, off to have breakfast but I wanted to share this with you all before! You can catch the details on my blog if you wanted to know more about how I made it.

See you Friday!

Cat

just4fun26 Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 10:55pm
post #27 of 37
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 11:20pm
post #28 of 37

tdovewings, you give sheet cakes a good name! Those are lovely and incomparable to what is available in grocery stores.

catlharper Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 3:01am
post #29 of 37

Just4fun...that is not only adorable it looks SOOO yummy! I love doing cakes like that one. 

Cat

just4fun26 Posted 19 Aug 2013 , 3:06am
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper 

Just4fun...that is not only adorable it looks SOOO yummy! I love doing cakes like that one. 

Cat

Thank you!! It was fun and the rave reviews made it even better! When the recipient, a  very picky/finicky professional chef called to tell me it was delicious AND asked for the recipe I nearly fell over!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%