Marshmellow Fondant

Decorating By AmysSweetTreats Updated 17 Aug 2013 , 7:43am by cakestomuch

AmysSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysSweetTreats Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 12

I saw a thread on here from a year or so talking about how far in advance you can make fondant decorations and how to store them. They can be made months in advance and to store them in a dark place in a card board box after they have completely dried. Can this be done with marshmellow fondant? I want the color and the shape to hold for a birthday I have in two weeks and another in about in four weeks.

11 replies
melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 12

AI have stored mmf decorations for several weeks in a box, but the fondant had a good amount of tylose mixed in.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 12

AIt will be fine. However it takes a long while for MMF decorations to dry. I did a test recently with some small decorations and it took about 3 days for them to really dry completely. But I put them in the box around day 2 and they were fine.

If they aren't going to be eaten, I would suggest using fondant with tylose or even gumpaste. Both dry much quicker

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

It will be fine. However it takes a long while for MMF decorations to dry. I did a test recently with some small decorations and it took about 3 days for them to really dry completely. But I put them in the box around day 2 and they were fine.

If they aren't going to be eaten, I would suggest using fondant with tylose or even gumpaste. Both dry much quicker

I agree.

Rosegin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosegin Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 12

AI made playing cards from MMF and they were dry over night.

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3079198/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

AmysSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysSweetTreats Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 12

That looks great! Thanks everyone for the feed back. The decorations are simple, minni mouse and the other one with be disc for cupcake with a picture of construction trucks for my sons birthday. Can I get tylose at any bakery supply store?

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 12

Yep! its like 5.99 for a bottle where im at. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 12

morganchampagne:  looks like the added tylose is the key here.

melmar02: MMF stored for weeks in a box and still good. nice to know.

Rosegin:  excellent work with MarshMallow Fondant, I'm envious of your detailed work. 

Rosegin Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 12

AThank you!

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 7:29pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosegin 

I made playing cards from MMF and they were dry over night.

So am I..envious!!  How'd you do that??

Rosegin Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 1:24am
post #11 of 12

AThank you!

They are marshmallow fondant, with hand-drawn decorations. I used food safe pens. I just took some of the details from playing cards. :)

cakestomuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestomuch Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 7:43am
post #12 of 12

AMMF decorations will wilt/melt if the humidity is to high. I learned the hard way. You can buy some Wilton gumpaste and Wilton fondant at the craft stores with the 40% coupons. I usually mix 50/50. As others said tylose is also good to use with fondant. I don't use MMF anymore because I got tired of having mmf for the cakes and then other fondant for the figures. I have been experimenting with MFF aka Michele Fosters fondant recipe here on cc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%